DIY - How to get started with self-programming

This post is mostly a copy-paste of comprehensive archive material. Some of the links are obsolete but most are still good.

How to find Fitting Software to Program Your Hearing Aids https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/diy-self-programming-how-to-find-fitting-software/45182

How to choose a programming device, and how to buy cables etc https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/diy-how-to-choose-a-programming-device/45408

First Fit using your Audiogram vs REM/Real Ear Measurement:
You should become aware of the difference between self programming and professionally fit hearing aids that use REM/Real Ear Measurement. Also note that not all audiologists perform REM (so there’s that). If your hearing aids have already been professionally programmed using REM then you will want to save the original settings to a database before you make any changes to your hearing aid settings.

Specific Guides to programming specific hearing aids:

Phonak Marvel Audéo M, ReSound LiNX Quattro, Starkey Livio, ReSound LiNX 3D, Phonak Audéo B, Phonak Audéo B-R, Signia Pure 13 BT Primax, Oticon Opn, Oticon Alta, Oticon Agil, Oticon Epoq, Phonak AudeoQ, Phonak AudeoYes, ReSound Live, Oticon Chili

Free Education:

Audiology Online has free Webinar courses online. You have to become a member to view the courses but it’s free unless you wish to receive credits for the courses. Try one of the specific Audiology Online searches below, or try your own search.
Oticon Genie/Genie 2
Signia Connexx
Phonak Target Fitting Software
ReSound Aventa

Newbies Start Here:
Check that your hearing aid is not locked: by scrolling down to find Locked Hearing Aids.

Step 1 - Get the Fitting Software setup on your computer:
Get the fitting software setup and ready to recognize your specific model hearing aid. Do this first!! Do this before you start spending money on equipment. You will need the latest version of software for the latest model hearing aids. The software is free and “generally available”. Though, some manufacturers like to hide it, or make it very difficult to obtain. Where do you get the fitting software? There’s a link to find the software at the very top of this thread. Complete this first step before you proceed!! Are we clear on this requirement to complete this step first? You may ask what’s the reason for doing this step first? This step is a Free step. But some find this first step difficult or impossible to complete, so why start spending money for gear when you may face failure on this first step?

Step 2 - Get a hearing test:
Get a hearing test and then get a copy of your Audiogram/hearing loss. Don’t take no for an answer when it comes to getting a copy of your Audiogram. CAUTION: Hearing aids come in different models for different hearing losses (mild, moderate, severe, profound). Heed the warnings that come with power hearing aids like the following example. CAUTION: A BTE Power hearing aid is a powerful hearing instrument. If you have been fitted with BTE Power, never allow others to wear your hearing instruments as incorrect usage could cause permanent damage to their hearing.

Step 3 - Wireless or Cabled programming device:
You need to choose between a wireless programming device or a cabled programming device (mini Pro/Hi Pro)? The second link at the top of this thread will help you choose a programming device (wireless or cabled) to program your hearing aids.

Step 4 - Extra Gear (Cables, Flex Strips, etc) for a wired programming device:
If you chose cabled over wireless Click a link at the top of this thread to help you find a place to purchase programming cables, flex strips, or pills.

Also, since your cabled programming device is the most expensive piece of equipment, you may want to hold off on getting that wired device (mini Pro/Hi Pro) until you understand which cables you need. Most will need a pair of standard CS44 programming cables. You may also need flex strips/flexconnects, or boots, or pills to make the connection from the cable to hearing aid/HA (note - different boots for different HAs). For help try to find your manufacturer’s Programming Guide, or Fitting Guide, or Cable Guide to determine what is needed to connect your specific model HAs. Hint, these documents are usually a pdf document found in the Professional section of the manufacturer’s website. Another hint, the fitting software has helpful diagrams showing how to connect your HAs.

Self Programming DON’Ts:
Don’t use Noah4/Noah software. Noah software is never required for any manufacturer’s fitting software. Professional Audiologists need Noah software to group their clients into a one Noah database and provide interfaces to all the different manufacturer’s fitting software. If you are a self programmer it is simpler to run the manufacturer’s fitting software standalone and not use Noah software. Don’t use Legacy NOAHLink hardware either (a BlueTooth device worn around the neck to replace the Hi-Pro). Keep it simple, stick with a mini Pro/Hi-Pro and run the manufacturer’s fitting software standalone.

Don’t expect support from your local audiologist when you program your own HAs. Though, you can still use them for things like custom ear-molds.

Don’t expect factory support for repair when you buy used HAs. You likely will have no warranty unless there is remaining warranty and you are able to get it transferred into your name. Don’t try to use factory repair for HAs bought on EBay, as HAs that were reported lost may get confiscated. Factory repair is way too expensive anyway. You will likely need to use an online Hearing Aid Repair Lab for minor repairs or even buy a replacement HA for major problems. Both are relatively cheap.

:closed_lock_with_key::closed_lock_with_key: :closed_lock_with_key:
Locked hearing aids seem to come from three sources (Costco, national health providers, and re-branded hearing aid dispensers). Check the Costco list below which has locked hearing models flagged in red. Government National Health Service(s) may use pin-code protection whereby hearing aids cannot be programmed without the pin code. New-anyname-franchises such as (AGX, AccuQuest, Hidden Hearing) offering anyname-hearing aids may use pin-code locks to prevent you from having your re-branded hearing aids serviced (or even recognized) by a non-franchise audiologist.

LIST#1 Costco Hearing Aids: showing (Software locked) to Costco version software:
Some models are no longer available at Costco
2011-Q1 Future/ReSound Alera
2012-Q? Kirkland Signature 4/Unknown Rexton model
2013-Q3 Kirkland Signature 5/ReSound Verso (Aventa software locked)
2015-Q2 Kirkland Signature 6/ReSound LiNX 9 (Aventa software locked)
2014-Q1 Phonak Brio/Phonak Audéo Q90 (minus EchoBlock, CROS)
2015-Q2 Rexton Trax 42/Rexton 80 4c (QuadCore/4c platform)/Siemens 7bx
2016-Q2 ReSound Cala/ReSound LiNX2 9 (Aventa software locked)
2016-Q3 Kirkland Signature 7/Rexton 80 6c (TruCore/6c platform)/Signia 7px
2016-Q4 Phonak Brio 2/Phonak Audéo V90
2017-Q3 Rexton Legato Rexton 80 6c (TruCore/6c platform)/Signia 7px, replace Trax 42
2017-Q4 ReSound Forte/ReSound LiNX 3D 9/Beltone Trust 17 (SmartFit software locked)
2017-Q4 Bernafon Zerena
2018-Q1 Kirkland Signature 8.0/Rexton 80 8c (MyCore Platform)/Signia 7Nx
2018-Q1 Phonak Brio 3/Phonak Audéo B90 (R10, R-312T-t-coil, R13-t-coil)
2018-Q3 Phonak Brio 3 R-C/Phonak B90 Direct (hear phone in one ear, other aid=Mic)
2018-Q4 ReSound Vida/ReSound LiNX 3D 9/Beltone Trust 17 (SmartFit software locked)
2018-Q4 Costco Rexton Adore/Rexton 80 8c (MyCore Platform)/Signia 7Nx
2019-Q2 Philips HearLink 9010
2019-Q2 ReSound Preza/ReSound LiNX Quattro 9 (SmartFit software locked)
Note>Costco hearing aids are minus the Tinnitus feature, or if they do have it the Costco fitters will not turn it on.

LIST#2 Recent Hearing Aid Platforms by the Big5:

Big5 Group Name Platform/ Chip Main Hearing Aid Models
GN Group/ReSound 2018-Q3 Premium-Plus LiNX Quattro
2017-Q2 SmartRangeC LiNX3, ENZO3, Costco ReSound Forte, Costco ReSound Vida
2015-Q1 SmartRange LiNX2, ENZO2, Costco ReSound Cala
Sonova/Phonak 2018-Q4 Marvel Phonak Audéo M
2017-Q3 SWORD Phonak Audéo B Direct, Costco Brio 3 R-C
2014-Q4 Venture Phonak Audéo B, Phonak Audéo V, Costco Brio2, Costco Brio3
Starkey 2018-Q3 Livio AI Livio
2016-Q3 Synergy Muse, Halo2, SoundLens
2015-Q1 BluWave 4.0 Z-Series
William DeMant/Oticon 2019-Q1 Velox S Opn S, Opn Play
2016-Q2 Velox Opn, Siya
2015-Q1 Inium Sense Alta2, Nera2, Ria2, Dynamo
2013-Q? Inium Alta, Nera, Ria
2010-Q1 RISE2 Agil, Acto
2007-Q2 RISE Vigo, Epoq
WS Audiology-Sivantos/Signia/Siemens/Widex 2018-Q2 Widex Evoke Fusion 2 440
2017-Q4 Signia Nx Pure, Motion, Silk, Insio, Kirkland Signature 8, Costco Rexton Adore
2016-Q2 Primax Ace, Pure, Cellion, Carat, Motion, Silk, Insio, Kirkland Signature 7
2014-Q3 Binax Motion, Insio

LIST#3 Secondary/Re-Branded Hearing Aids by the Big5:

Big5 Group Name Primary Brand Secondary Brand ReBranded
GN Group ReSound Beltone, Interton, Danavox AGXR, TruHearing, TruHearing-Flyte
ReSound Costco ReSound Future, Kirkland Signature 5, Kirkland Signature 6, ReSound Cala, ReSound Forte, ReSound Vida, ReSound Preza
Sonova Phonak Unitron Hansaton, Audicus, TruHearing
Phonak Costco Phonak Brio, Phonak Brio 2, Phonak Brio 3, Phonak Brio 3 R-C
Starkey Starkey n/a Audibel, MicroTech, NuEar, AGXS, TruHearing, Audika
William DeMant Oticon Bernafon, Sonic Audika, AGXO
Oticon Costco Zerena, Philips HearLink, Audika, AGXO
WS Audiology-Sivantos Signia/Siemens Audio Service, A&M, Miracle Ear AGXsi, TruHearing
Signia/Siemens Rexton, Costco Kirkland Signature 4, Rexton Trax 42, Kirkland Signature 7, Rexton Legato, Kirkland Signature 8, Rexton Adore
Widex n/a Coselgi, AGXW, TruHearing
8 Likes

Hi. I am looking for Beltone software. Maybe you have a software to configure Beltone hearing aids? I really need it. I would appreciate the help.

1 Like

Also I am looking for Unitron U:fit software. Maybe you have software Unitron U:fit hearing aids? I really need it. I would be grateful for the help.

Dusty,

Thanks for your very informative post.

You list the Philips Hearlink 9010’s from COSTCO as being “locked”.

I have been able to download the Philips Hearsuite programming software, and it runs on my PC. I can’t actually try to connect them to my Philips hearing aids at this time, since I don’t have any NoaLink device. If I did get the NoaLink hardware, do you know for sure that I would be unable to program my Philips HearLinks? I.e., are they really locked?

I’ll start by saying I don’t know, but my take on the list is that they are not locked. Only the Resound ones show as locked, although I can see how you could take it the way you did. If you do decide to try, make sure you get the right device. NoahLink and NoahLink Wireless are different devices.

I guess I did miss-read the list. Thanks for pointing out that NoahLink and NoahLink Wireless are different - I assume I would need a NoahLink Wireless device.

1 Like

NoahLink Wireless would be my best guess for the Phillips aids, but in DIY programming, it’s best to leave nothing to chance. Perhaps somebody who’s actually programmed the Phillips aids can join in, but I’d tried to find the hearing aid that is most similar to your Phillips hearing aid in the software and look what hardware they say is needed.

So, now that I have bought my Bernafon Nano RITE Hearing aids, downloaded the Bernafon Oasis software, it would appear that I now need to also purchase a Hi-Pro together with a Programming cable #2. That little lot is going to set me back about £300!! if I’m lucky Would that be about right or have I completely misunderstood?

So is the alternative being to find an audiologist willing to program them for me?
Any recommendations / referrals please?

You £300 price is within the ballpark. Though I don’t know prices across the pond.

Programming cable #2?? I don’t think so. Those may be the short cables required for an old programming device named NOAHlink (not to be confused with Noahlink Wireless). You would want standard CS44 cables. I have not researched your model hearing aid to see what cables/strips are required for connection. When you say Nano RITE, perhaps you mean Bernafon Juna Nano RITE?

Audi’s like it when you walk in the door with £6000 and no hearing aids. They will be so nice to you. When you walk in the door with your own hearing aids, it’s like walking into a restaurant with your own steak and asking what’s the cost to cook it. Perhaps they will just charge you an extra modest fee?? It’s hard to say??

There are mail-in online programming services. Though, depending on your hearing loss, you may not be pleased with the results.

If your hearing aid software is correct for your aids the software should tell you what programming device and cables you need to program them. They might also be programmed wirelessly, check the software.

This is why it’s important to do your research before buying anything. Once you understand what is needed you can figure costs and where to buy what’s needed.
Start with the hearing aids of choice software. Then educate yourself.

Well the good thing is, if you do go ahead and get a HiPro and cables you’ll never need to worry about wasting time on who’s going to provide programming, the Bernafon use exactly the same cables as Oticon (and sonic for that matter) cable part numbers
HI-PRO #2 (CS44)
Left: [384-20-033-00]
Right: [384-20-032-00]
So a good choice there. £300 is very high, you don’t need to pay that much, find a minipro or USB HiPro model on eBay or aliexpress for less.
If your Bernafon Nano RITE model is wireless you can program them wirelessly with the FittingLink 3.0 .

1 Like

Be careful when ordering #2 cables (any #2 cables). Here’s why.

If you have the luxury of ordering from Bernafon or even the luxury or ordering by specific part number then Yes, you can order (Bernafon HI-PRO #2, Left: 384-20-033-00, Right: 384-20-032-00). But most ppl will not be ordering from Bernafon.

On EBay you seldom see hearing aid programming cables listed by part number, or by the hearing aid manufacturer’s pet name. If you order #2 cables from EBay you may end up with the wrong cable that will not work with the Hi Pro! There are some short/50cm NOAHlink #2 cables floating around because the NOAHlink programming device (not to be confused with Noahlink Wireless) is becoming obsolete. The short/50cm NOAHlink #2 cables will not work with the Hi Pro hearing aid programming device.

So look for CS44 cables when ordering from sites such as EBay because it’s unlikely you will find Bernafon HI-PRO #2, or Left: 384-20-033-00, or Right: 384-20-032-00.

Are you sure, are they just thinner and a bit shorter, same CS44 pin connections.

Here’s a listing on eBay

No, they are not the same CS44 pin connections! Zoom in on the small connector at the end of the cable and count the number of pins.

• 3 pins for No#2
  • 4 pins for CS44

Here’s a zoomed-in image of the same cable;

Ok I see that now, good detective work!

This information is incorrect for the Noahlink #2 cable on eBay. The picture in the listing is a CS43, not a CS44 cable.

There are two noahlink cables #1 is a 5 pin and #2 is a 4 pin same as HiPro Style 4. Here is the link to the Sonion hearing programmer cable PDF:

The pinouts and connectors are the same for both cables.

The problem is with the eBay listing, not the Bernafon information.

1 Like

Hi, I have some Bernafon Caristra 3 Nano BTE hearing aids, and have now inherited another pair of them from my deceased mother.
I would like to reprogram my mothers old pair to match mine.
Could someone perhaps give me a link to the Bernafon Oasis software?
I have a Noahlink Wireless but suspect that this won’t work with these aids as they aren’t bluetooth capable, so does anyone know what hardware I need?

The above user disappeared for a while. Other helpful users picked up the pieces. Now he wants to slam and insult those that had continued to try to help.
@rasmus_braun : Please remove the above continuing insults towards those that had picked up the torch to carry on in his absence before this user came back.

z10user2 doesn’t have the full story of my temporary hiatus. I guess he thinks that he does.

Truth be told, this thread was not the only instance of plagiarism of my DIY topics. Sorry for using the “P” word. But as you can plainly see in the edits of the OP/Original post of this topic, my PVC name/authorship was removed, and the content copied verbatim, including all the links.

In the past, (z10user2 himself) did the same thing. When I would intentionally disappear one of my threads for maintenance reasons (or to create a new thread while presenting the subject matter in a different form) my original content would popup under a new name of z10user2. But to give him credit, he did not remove my name/authorship, (and after a short while) I guess he realized that reposting my old content was not sustainable and his copied threads were deleted.

Perhaps this classification of my post as an insult would make more sense without the PVC name/authorship removal in the OP that stands out like a sore thumb. It’s easy to see. Just go all the way to the top of this topic and click the Pencil icon. If this is not authorship removal then what is it?