New Oticon Opn S Hearing Aid

oticon

Some reports filtering through about a new Oticon:

https://www.accessandmobilityprofessional.com/new-hearing-aid-claims-it-allows-users-to-thrive-in-noisy-environments/

Don’t know if these have jumped the (marketing) gun, but it appears a welcome release as it concentrates on the speech in noise problem (in my humble opinion).

Personally I feel that my OPN1s that I got in December are allowing me to hear great, including speech in noise. I can go to places that I can hear better than my friends that have normal hearing. And if my Audi is correct my aids will be updated this spring or summer with new software

Sounds like we’ll have more info in March. At this point hard to tell if there’s anything besides marketing hype. They definitely needed something “new” as the impression is that the Opn is “old” technology.

That’s a pretty bold claim to say that you can understand speech like normal people in noisy venues even if it requires that your hearing loss is uncomplicated. We’ll have to see what it’s all about. At the least, maybe they improve the directionality mode for better beam forming if you choose to have that option.

I wonder why they call it an OPN S, maybe implying that there’s a new hardware change that makes the old ones not upgradeable through a new firmware? I sure hope that the new technology can be waterfalled into the older OPN via a firmware update. That will go a long way to entice people to go with the brand /model if they know that their purchase won’t go obsolete every few years.

I would hazard a guess that the “s” is speech, since that is the focus of the claim, " Enables People with Hearing Loss to Understand Speech at a Level on Par with Normal Hearing".

This is a marketing press release, big on buzzwords…

I think it’s a new hardware - there are LED indicator above rocker switch in mini RITE T version (silver coloured in this picture)

https://www.oticon.global/about/press/news-and-press/news/2019/new-oticon-opn-s-hearing-aid-enables-people-with-hearing-loss-to-understand-speech

Regarding the normal hearing claim, here’s all I could find:

15555-10253-closinggaptonormalhearing-whitepaper.pdf (4.8 MB)

Seems to still be referencing Opn tech. Couldn’t find 2019 whitepaper by Callaway referenced in news release.

What is this about:

users with uncomplicated hearing loss can experience speech understanding in difficult soundscapes as well as people with normal hearing

Marketing hype? I wonder if Oticon isn’t responding to the success of the Marvel…

Personally my OPN1s have proven what Oticon claims

Neither could I, but I suspect the rationale will be similar.

I’m guessing by uncomplicated hearing loss here, they’re referring to the normal kind of hearing loss that most people have, SNHL with the normal ski slope shape, where the low frequency hearing loss is milder and the high frequency hearing loss is moderate to severe.

I would guess complicated hearing loss falls into the categories of asymmetric loss, or reverse ski slope loss, or cookie bite loss…

It’s been observed on this forum, though nowhere enough data points to draw any kind of scientific conclusion, that the OPN technology does not seem effective for folks with widely asymmetric hearing loss, as well as folks with moderately severe to worse low frequency loss (either a reverse ski slope or maybe flatter loss already starting out in the low frequencies).

I think the normal symmetrical ski slope loss (dubbed uncomplicated loss here by my guess here) has 2 things going for it. One is the frequency lowering technology that Oticon calls Speech Rescue to aid hearing the high frequency sounds better by moving it to the mid frequency area where the loss is not as bad. The second thing is that with symmetrical hearing loss, the binaural cues are better preserved because the balance between the 2 ears is still there, which is probably an important part of the speech cues.

I have severe to profound hearing loss with high frequencies absent (up to 2 and 3 kHz only). So I think Opn technology is not effective for those have hearing in low and mid frequencies only?

Yeah, what’s not clear to me is whether the second one to the right (the mini RITE T version with the LED) is supposed to be the OPN S and the rest are just older OPNs, or whether all 4 of them as shown are OPN S’s.

I can’t for the life of me see why they’d want to put an LED on the hearing aid, because for sure the user won’t be able to see it from behind their ear when they wear it. Plus, who wiould want a lit or blinking LED conspicuously drawing attention to your hearing aids to the people who stand behind you?

I still really am hoping that since it’s on the same Velox platform, there’s going to be an ability to update the firmware to give whatever new capabilities to older OPN owners. If Oticon does this, they’ll be able to assuage potential customers standing on the sideline waiting for a newer technology from Oticon to jump in and make a purchase decision without anymore worry of being left behind if they purchase the 2.5 year old hardware.

My hearing loss is the worst in speech and is the best in the low and higher frequencies, and my speech recognition in my right ear plainly sucks. The VA says without out hearing aids I am no longer functional. But with my OPN1s I hear better than my wife in noisy environments. And my wife has normal hearing by hear last checkup this last fall.

I have a pair of Oticon Dynamo (oh yes, there are red LEDs under plastic cover, visible when turning on in darkness). I cannot understand why Oticon cannot make superpower hearing aids based on Velox platform. CI is not a natural hearing.

I don’t know. At least your hearing loss is very symmetrical and there’s still some hearing left in the mid frequency area, although quite severe. Also your loss curve is trending downward toward the high frequencies. I think this is also helpful because at least it’s not the reverse loss where it’s trickier to treat.

I think the Speech Rescue frequency lowering technology can help recover your high frequency loss by moving those sounds to your mid frequency area, where there’s still some hearing left although quite severe.

And your low frequency loss is still in the range where I think is correctable, although you’ll need the Power version of the OPN for sure to do this correction. I don’t know why they can’t come out with the super power version myself for the OPN. I can only guess that because this type of severe loss is niche, it falls into the lower priority list for them. But now that they’ve come out with all the versions from RIC to CIC to Power, maybe the Super Power is the last but not least for them to start working on if not already.

The Opn S features a lithium-ion rechargeable model with inductive charging. That’s the one with the indicator light. It’s a new platform, so no firmware upgrade from the previous product.