Costco Bernafon Zerena (Product Information)

Update 9/30/2018:

Bernafon Zerena is a family of RIC, BTE, and ITE instruments available from Costco. It replaces the Bernafon Juna product line.

RIC Models:
• Zerena 9 miniRITE (312 battery, wireless, push button, 4 power levels)
• Zerena 9 miniRITE T (312 battery, wireless, t-coil, 2 push buttons, 4 power levels)

BTE Models:
• Zerena 9 BTE 105 (13 battery, wireless, t-coil, 2 push buttons, earhook or thin tube)

ITE Models:
• Zerena 9 IIC (10 battery, non-wireless, 2 power levels)
• Zerena 9 CIC (10 battery, e2e wireless, push button, 2 power levels)
• Zerena 9 ITC (312 battery, wireless, directional mics, t-coil, volume switch, 4 power levels)
• Zerena 9 HS (312 or 13 battery, wireless, directional mics, t-coil, volume switch, 4 power levels)
• Zerena 9 FS (312 or 13 battery, wireless, directional mics, t-coil, volume switch, 4 power levels)

Features:
• ChannelFree, 16 gain handles, 10 kHz bandwidth, 4 manual programs
• Made for iPhone (MFi) hearing aid with direct audio streaming (excludes IIC and CIC)

Accessories:
• SoundClip-A, TV-A, RC-A (not compatible with IIC and CIC)
• ZPower Rechargeable Kit (Zerena 9 miniRITE only)

https://www.costco.com/bernafon.html
https://www.bernafon-us.com/products/category-9_h1-2017

Brochure:
https://www.bernafon-us.com/-/media/bernafon/main/pdf/english/global/products/zerena/177748_zr_euf_uk.pdf

Datasheets:
Bernafon Zerena 9 miniRITE.pdf (1.7 MB)
Bernafon Zerena 9 miniRITE T.pdf (332.7 KB)
Bernafon Zerena 9 7 BTE 105.pdf (1020.1 KB)
Bernafon Zerena 9 IIC CIC.pdf (209.5 KB)
Bernafon Zerena 9 ITC ITE.pdf (268.2 KB)

Bernafon EasyControl-A for Apple iOS (not compatible with IIC and CIC):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easycontrol-a/id1181332352?mt=8

Bernafon EasyControl-A for Android (not compatible with IIC and CIC):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bernafon.easycontrola&hl=en

1 Like

BASIC
$499.99 each†
(Custom In-The-Ear)

ADVANCED
$899.99 each†
(Behind-The-Ear, Custom In-The-Ear)

PREMIUM
$1,299.99 each†
(Receiver-In-The-Ear, Behind-The-Ear, Custom In-The-Ear)

Is there anyone who might be able to offer a knowing comparison of the Oticon Opn, Sonic Enchant, and Bernafon Zerena? I also suppose- outside the parameters of made for iPhone -that none of the three presently offer a telephone streamer.

The Sonic Enchant has these 3 main technologies that they talk about:

1. Binaural Noise Management.
  2. SPiN (Speech in Noise) management.
  3. Smart Compress.

The Bernafon Zerena has:

1. Binaural Dynamic Noise Management.
  2. Dynamic Speech Processing.
  3. Dynamic Amplification Control.

If you compare these 3 features, it’s pretty much a 1 on 1 match respectively, even though the names are slightly different. So I would venture to guess that they share the same technologies.

The Oticon OPN, however, seems to be operating on a very different technology using a different “open” paradigm. Its core processing technology is called the Opensound Navigator. It comprises of 3 modules that goes in almost sequential stages and cycles through the whole process 500 times per second:

1. The Analyze module (analyzes types of sound, creates a noise model of sounds in the back and on the side using the back facing cardioid mic. and feeds this noise model into and informs the Balance and Noise Removal modules of the acoustical conditions).

2. The Balance module creates a balanced soundscape where speech is made clearer by attenuating the loudest noise sources placed between speech sources. It’s basically a directionality system that uses a minimum-variance distortion-less response (MVDR) beamformer.

3. Noise Removal module -> takes the balanced signal from the Balanced module and the noise model from the Analyze module and operates as a secondary noise cleaner to reduce diffused/residual noise (noises that don’t have a precise location) that’s not attenuated by the Balance module.

As you can see, beside being designed around a different “open” paradigm compared to the Zerena and Enchant, the OPN seems to operate on a very different signal processing strategy using different components compared to the Zerena and Enchant.

Has there really been any major improvements in hearing aids over the last few years? I should say other than blue tooth and that appears to be a struggle for the HA mfgrs. Lots of marketing hype imo.

1 Like

Only way is to find out for yourself.

Actually, the way is to share information.

1 Like

The tough thing is to define “major improvement.” Certainly the big emphasis is on bluetooth and to a lesser extent rechargeable batteries. I think manufacturers continue to refine their product. Whether a particular refinement means anything to you is anybody’s guess, and ultimately only you can decide.

Why not start a thread about it instead of highjacking this one?

If there have been major improvements one would think there would be some consensus. I am new to this but those of you who have had several HA’s over the years should be able to definitively say ya or nay, My grandfather had a box about the size of a pack of cigarettes that he kept in his shirt pocket and a wire that went to an ear device. I think we can all agree that the devices have advanced well beyond that point. There are so many choices and yet no clear choice. I understand brand preference when it comes to things like automobiles that essentially all do the same basic thing but I want to think that aids for hearing are different but maybe not. Personally, I don’t see BT being a game changer when it comes to improving the ability to hear, same can be said for rechargeable batteries. Maybe I am expecting too much. They are certainly expensive, too much so for lots of people.

1 Like

Actually the thread is about a new HA and I asked about improvements. You yourself asked questions about other aids so don’t get so bent.

Not trying to be argumentative, but it really is in the eye of the beholder. We have people on the forum that insist that the old analog hearing aids are much better than modern aids. There is no good way to compare specs of hearing aids from the literature. Somebody once mentioned that hearing aid manufacturers talk of their “magical” features. This was hard for me too and many have asked similar questions. There is no good answer. If money is an issue, my bias is Costco. You can also go the online route, but then you lose the face to face experience and opportunities for verification. Regarding threads: some of these threads get inordinately long and get off on all kinds of tangents. This one is originally about a new Bernafon hearing aid.

If you dismiss outright all marketing as hypes, I’m not sure if you should be trusting testimonials here anyway (which you call shared information). It’s not because people here would lie, but their experience with the HAs of their choice will be a very personal thing that may apply for their case but not necessarily will work for you, not to mention one’s inclination to want to reassert and defend one’s choice sometimes.

You’ll hear people say it a lot on this forum, but the only way you’d know if a hearing aid will work for you is to try it yourself. Heck, some people still prefer analog hearing aids of digital ones.

I am disappointed because Zerena has Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) at 2.4 GHz but wireless programming only via FittingLINK 3.0 (wireless programming interface) and not Noahlink Wireless.

Do you know if the Oticon OPN works with Noahlink wireless device? I’m just curious. But if not, it seems natural that the Zerena would not either, since they probably share the same accessories being from sister companies. Then you can be disappointed in both. :slight_smile:

No, Oticon Opn does not support Noahlink wireless yet, so yes I am disappointed in both.

Going to audition these on Saturday. Have been hoping to find new tech at Costco that will sound good with music.My current aids (Phonak Audeo Q) do not, dispite the audi’s attempts to program them properly.

If they want to only give you the automatic program, there are reasons for that. I’d explain how import music is and ask them to provide the music program as it is a major factor in your choice.

Was disappointed with the Zerena, and went with the Kirkland 7’s. Will have them in 10 days when the real fun begins for the day to day living.

Care to share any specifics on why you were disappointed with the Zerena? I know you mentioned earlier that you want something for music. Was that the only thing you were disappointed?