Costco Phonak Brio (Product Information)

Here’s the product info for Costco’s Phonak Brio line. Brio is a full range of RICs, BTEs, and ITEs. All of the models look exactly the same as their Audéo, Bolero, Naída, and Virto counterparts.

3 RIC models: R-10, R-312, R-312T

5 BTE models: B-M312, B-M13, B-P, B-SP, P-UP

4 ITE models: I-N, I-10, I-312, I-13

Features: Speech in Wind, auto StereoZoom, StereoZoom, auto ZoomControl, ZoomControl, DuoPhone, UltraZoom Premium, SNR-Boost, FlexControl, FlexVolume, SoundRecover, Real Ear Sound, SoundFlow (5), 20 channels, WhistleBlock, NoiseBlock, WindBlock, SoundRelax, QuickSync, 5 manual programs, 5 streaming programs, User Preference Learning, User Preference Tuning, auto Acclimatization.

Compared to the Q90, the following features have been removed: EchoBlock, Tinnitus Balance noise generator, and CROS compatibility.

Brochure:
http://www.brio.phonak.com/content/dam/phonak/FRED/Pamphlet_BtC_Brio_028-1312.pdf

1 Like

If they’re going for a younger crowd, tinnitus balance isn’t a great place to cut corners.

This is good to know. I’ll be heading to Costco next time I upgrade.

Costco has quickly grown to be the 800 pound gorilla in the living room of the hearing aid industry.All you need to do is take a look at linked in to see how they have shaken things up. The addition of Phonak means that they are able to offer equipment from four out of the big six at huge savings to their members. If you don’t fall on the edges of the bell curve, most likely your needs can be met. If not, the traditional dispensers are still there. After over 30 years in my profession, I get to help people hear better with wonderful tools and save them money at the same time. Pretty cool.

1 Like

I don’t find the built in tinnitus balance feature particularly useful. When my tinnitus is particularly bad, I stream masking sounds via Bluetooth. The sound of gentle rain or a babbling brook is much better than hissing static (white noise).

There are 4 threads for this one topic including this one.

http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?16616-Costco-Phonak-Brio-%28Product-Information%29
http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?16510-Costco-getting-Phonak-aids-starting-April-1
http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?16508-Phonak-Hearing-Aids-at-Costco
http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?16514-Costco-phonak

Just returned the Rexton Quintra hearing aids I got about 3 months ago at Costco. (They finally got them tuned in right for me, but the instruments themselves kept shutting down at random. The nearest we can figure out is that sweat around my ears was shorting out the charging contacts on the outside of the instruments.)

I go in today to order a set of the Phonaks (their first customer to do so). The model is Brio R-312T, and as Rasmus says, they are essentially the same as the Audéo Q90 with the EchoBlock, Tinnitus noise generator, and CROS compatibility (whatever that is) removed. I got a look at the actual training notes and guides the fitter got last week and that’s exactly what they say as well. Of course, the instruments are actually identical to the Audéo units, but these features have been programatically turned off (WHY? It’s not like it costs any more to have them included :slight_smile: ). It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I’ve fit five pairs of the Brio R312Ts and have been trying a pair on and off myself. Having fit and used Phonak instruments extensively in a previous life, the pricing absolutely blows me away. You can get a set of these completely tricked out with a TV streamer, remote mic (with a 60’ range) and ComPilot for right at $2900. I’m really not trying to sound like an ad, but that is awesome. I’m happy to see phonak join the array of instruments I’m able to fit. For myself, I’m pretty impressed by their performance in noise. The sound quality is good, programmed as recommended by the software. It seems a bit sharper, more crisp compared to the Quintras and notably less processed sounding than the KS-5s. It will be interesting to see how patients react to them.

This is exactly my findings with the Audeo Q90 as well. I will add that the Oticon Alta Pro, which I just returned after over one month of daily use, sounded very similar to the KS5 to me.

I am very happy with the Audeo Q90 and am keeping them.

I currently have a three-year old set of Phonak Naidas V UP which I believe is similar to the Brio P-UP. I paid nearly$7000 for them back in 2011. I suspect I’ll need a new set of aids every 5-7 years with this new technologies compared to years ago when they could be kept serviceable for 8-10 years. I’m going to be very happy to get the Phonak Naidas equivalent for around $3000 when it’s time to replace my current setup.

Cripes!

The Phonak Brios must be what my Costco fitter was talking about (“something new on the way, but date unknown)” when I went in on March 10. I walked out with a pair of KS-5.0s, btw (my first aids), and after 5 weeks they seem to be doing a good job. And the price was easy to live with. (Huge improvement over no aids at all for sure, but nothing else to compare to in my case.)

On a later visit for adjustments, I noticed the Phonak display and asked him about their top of the line Phonak’s VS the KS 5s (in general) - and he steered me away. Now I’m asking myself: Should I press the subject and try to get a test drive with the new Brio’s or just wait a couple of years and go for the new tech at that time? Free advice and virtual hand-holding always welcome, :o especially from anyone who has tried the Phonak Brio aids at Costco.

Oh, last time I passed by the HA center, I saw an older gentleman (I’m only 64) :slight_smile: with a rather noticeable device around his neck that I take to be the Compilot. Is that generally used and carried most of the time with the Phonak aids? The Resound remote in my pocket is inconspicuous; was included in the $1,899 price; and really isn’t even necessary - just a handy convenience.

The only time you need to wear the ComPilot is if you’re streaming. The neck loop is removable, and it still works as a remote to choose programs and volume. If you’re streaming music, it works under your clothing.

Will it also work in a purse??

KarenK, I am totally unqualified to answer your question. I haven’t carried one since my mother made me hold hers, and that was many years ago. :slight_smile:

Funny!! Thanks for the laugh.

I just called and scheduled an “in-store demo” on the Phonak Brio for this Saturday at 5:00 PM. (I’m now at 45 days into the KS 5.0s.)

Not sure what to expect:
The senior guy answered the phone - my guy, (whom I like), is the number 2. I’m being “squeezed in” with my regular HIS for a 30 minute session. Hmmm.

I plan to take my wife, so I can at least have a base voice to compare to.

I think their might be a likely learning curve for the brain to hear comfortably with the Phonak brand. At least this was true for me when I first started with my Naidas two years ago. Just a thought for you to contemplate when you try the Brio which is also made by Phonak.

10-4, rweigle. Thanks for the heads up.

The other learning curve is going to be for the Costco people to get comfortable with Phonak programming, since they haven’t had that brand family before. I’m figuring that by the time I need new aids in 2-3 years, they will have gotten used to the quirks and worked out the kinks.

Too bad there is no equivalent to the Naida RIC.