Starkey launches world's first hearing aid with integrated sensors and AI

starkey

Starkey Hearing Technologies Introduces World’s First Hearing Aid With Integrated Sensors and Artificial Intelligence

Livio™ AI hearing aid tracks brain and body health, has a natural user interface with tap control, language translation and advanced environmental detection.

MINNEAPOLIS, Aug. 27, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – Starkey® Hearing Technologies has reinvented both the hearing experience and the hearing aid with Livio AI. Livio AI is the world’s first Healthable™ hearing aid to utilize integrated sensors and artificial intelligence and the first device to track physical activity and cognitive health as measured by hearing aid use in social situations.

The launch also includes a brand-new mobile app—Thrive™ Hearing; and three new wireless accessories—the Starkey Hearing Technologies TV, the Remote, and the Remote Microphone +. With the Remote Microphone+, Livio AI is also the first hearing aid to feature Amazon® Alexa connectivity.

“First and foremost, Livio AI is the best performing and best sounding hearing aid we have ever made. What makes today a pivotal moment in the hearing industry, is that with Livio AI, we have transformed a single-use device into the world’s first multi-purpose hearing aid, a Healthable with integrated sensors and artificial intelligence. Livio AI is so much more than just a hearing aid, it is a gateway to better health and wellness,” Starkey Hearing Technologies President Brandon Sawalich said.

The new Hearing Reality™ technology provides an average 50-percent reduction in noisy environments, significant reduced listening effort, and newly enhanced clarity of speech, while the use of artificial intelligence and integrated sensors enabled it to optimize the hearing experience. Livio AI has revolutioned what “hearing better” means.

Artificial intelligence and advancements in hearing technology enabled Livio AI to provide following unique features and benefits:

• Understand and see the real-time health benefits of using hearing aids - NEW

• Overall health and wellness tracking through the app’s combined brain and body health score (Thrive Wellness Score) - NEW

• Integration of the physical activity data measured by inertial sensors of the hearing aids with Apple Health and Google Fit apps - NEW

• Personalized Control for customizable adjustments to sound and programs

• Remote programming by users’ hearing professionals to put hearing healthcare in the hands of the users - NEW

• Natural user interface with tap control - NEW

• Unprecedented, natural listening and speech clarity in the noisiest environments with the new Hearing Reality technology – NEW

• Integrated language translation – NEW

• Dual-radio wireless platform: 2.4GHz radio for streaming of phone calls, music, media, apps, and connecting with various devices including TVs and Amazon Alexa; near-field magnetic induction technology for true ear-to-ear communication and binaural noise reduction

• Fall detection with inertial sensors integrated within the hearing aids (App support coming soon) - NEW

Designed to help users live their healthiest life, Livio AI is available as a RIC 312 and BTE 13 in a variety of colors. In addition to the above unique features, Livio AI also includes Starkey’s best-in-class feedback cancellation, high-definition music prescription, advanced Multiflex Tinnitus Technology and Surface™ NanoShield pioneering water, wax and moisture repellant system to protect and ensure durability and dependability.

How integrated sensors and AI helped Starkey transform the hearing aid

“Artificial intelligence, coupled with advanced sensing devices, is rapidly changing the world around us,” Starkey Hearing Technologies Chief Technology Officer and Executive Vice President of Engineering Dr. Achin Bhowmik said. “We are proud to introduce these transformational technologies into the world of hearing aids to both optimize the users’ hearing experiences and enable them to continuously monitor and improve their overall health besides treating hearing loss, reducing the associated risks of dementia, anxiety and social isolation.”

The integrated 3D motion sensors inside Livio AI enable the hearing aids to detect movement, track activities, and recognize gestures. The hearing aids communicate with each other and compatible mobile accessories to deliver meaningful, real-time feedback about users’ overall body and cognitive health and fitness.

This cutting-edge technology allows people to take a proactive and personal approach to treating hearing loss, which has been linked to various health issues including dementia, cognitive decline, anxiety, stress, social isolation and an increased risk of falling.

Livio AI is the first device utilizing the ears to help users better understand not only how to improve their overall health and wellness, but also the deep connection between treating hearing loss and reducing health risks. This helps to improve key areas of well-being by reconnecting users to the people, places and activities they love.

Livio AI is available in the United States and Canada at this time, with a global roll out to more than 20 countries in 2019. For more information about Livio AI hearing aids, the Thrive mobile app and new Starkey Hearing Technologies accessories, please visit www.starkey.com

About Starkey Hearing Technologies

Starkey Hearing Technologies is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded in 1967, the company is recognized for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. The company develops, manufactures and distributes hearing aids via three distinct brands – Audibel, NuEar and its original brand, Starkey. As the only American-owned and American-operated provider of hearing technologies, Starkey Hearing Technologies is proud to support veterans and active military service personnel with the best in American innovation, including a suite of revolutionary hearing technologies and other resources. Starkey Hearing Technologies currently employs more than 5,000 people, operates 22 facilities and conducts business in more than 100 markets worldwide. For more information, visit www.starkey.com.

Help, I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up! My hearing aids are still in the dryer so Starkey doesn’t know that I’ve fallen!

Hay Livio, can you recognize this gesture?

Things are getting sillier and sillier as these new announcements appear.

sensor will allow more accurate directional patial awareness without iphone motion sensor when person not facing target speaker. especially some one from behinde or back will approach

• Integrated language translation – NEW WHAT??? These hearing aids can translate for example from Chinese to swahili? Maybe it is a joke?

Using Artificial Intelligence to translate languages is a huge advance. Google started it with their Pixelbuds last October.

Little League World Series players used Google Tranlate to communicate in different languages last year.

The Google AI in the Pixelbuds can translate 40 languages.

I live in California, a real world melting pot. I’d love to use my new HAs to talk to my Spanish, Filipino, French, Chinese, Japanese, German, Dutch, Australian, UK English :slight_smile: speaking friends. The senior community where I live has all these languages, and many in this town speak various languages, especially in the diverse excellent restaurants.

You old curmudgeons are just doing the modern version of “Hey you kids, get off my lawn!” :smiling_imp:

My Has speak in algorithm.

If you’ve ever cared for a demented elderly parent prone to wandering off when you think they’re asleep or prone to falling and perhaps gashing their head open on the way down, you might think HA’s with fall sensors are a great idea. From what I read earlier, after a fall, a little voice can appear in your ear, “Are you OK? Shake your head ‘Yes’ if you are.” And perhaps a follow-up, “Do you need help? Shake your head ‘Yes’ if you do.” Presumably with the right sensors, a care giver could tell if the person was still wearing their HA’s or had ripped them off, etc. I’m not going to rush out and buy Starkey’s just because of this but at my age, I still go up to high places on the roof and on ladders, work in the yard with power tools like a chain saw and don’t always carry my cell phone because of Texas summer heat. It would be great if my HA’s could relay to my wife “there’s a problem…” if calling 911 for EMS would save the situation (or maybe she just gets cued in to a need to call the mortician before rigor mortis sets in!).

Ditto: Starkey launches world's first hearing aid with integrated sensors and AI

Hurry! Introductory price at 10K a pair :money_mouth_face:

Sounds fantastic all the bells and whistles… I’ll bet the price is well beyond the working means income!!!

Or maybe I’m sunbathing after falling into the sand, but Starkey calls emergency

Since the specs for fall detection are going to be added to the phone app but aren’t ready yet, we’re really talking about how many angels can fit onto the head of a pin.

But if you’ve ever owned a sophisticated smartwatch like the Apple watch or Samsung Galaxy Gear S3, the accelerometers in those devices can very precisely detect movement, even detect what kind of activity you’re performing and automatically give you credit for that type of exercise or weight lifting. Presumably, too, when you plop yourself down on the sand, your head is hitting with a little less G force than when you take a bad fall, say, your head smashes into a tile floor or hits a piece of furniture on the way down and gets violently twisted.

I imagine, too, that fall detection is something that can be turned on or off as the user/caregiver wishes. But Starkey’s addition of fall detection to a wearable device is something that I read in a previous article, might have been a CNET article on how AI was creeping into hearing devices, and I think that CNET quoted public health officials saying it was the type of development that would be very useful and was long overdue as falls take a terrible toll on the elderly each year. If I can find the article, I’ll add a link to it to this post.

Turns out the link that I was thinking about just has a PR statement or two from Starkey officials - but presumably the fall detection and socialization scoring, etc., can allow a child or other caregiver to better monitor how the elderly person they are caring for is doing, especially if they cannot watch the person like a hawk every moment of the time. One can imagine other wearable devices, a smartwatch or even a dedicated wearable, could do the same but if one has to wear HA’s, anyway, why not use them, if possible, as part of the care-giving equation as well as room monitors, etc. Hearing aids are getting smarter. Think AI, motion sensors, health tracking - CNET Presumably now the technology will be outrageously expensive but someday it will probably be a no-brainer to include.

Fall detection is a feature of some medical alert bracelets. Of course there are tradeoffs in tuning the response, to avoid false alarms but not miss real events. Dropping the bracelet would probably trigger an alarm.

The shower is a dangerous place. Medical alert bracelets can be worn there, but hearing aids can’t.

Facts from the CDC about the economic and health toll of falls on the elderly:

https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adultfalls.html

Presumably, monitoring is useful for not only detecting ASAP a serious fall but for also detecting if someone elderly you care for is fibbing about how serious a fall problem that person actually has, e.g., lying about it for fear they’ll be institutionalized when they want to stay in their own home, etc.

The following is a relatively old (2013) review of motion-monitoring for the elderly - does not consider HA’s as a possibility for monitoring. It discusses the difficulty with false alarms but it also suggests that monitoring COULD PROVIDE ADVANCE WARNING to the person themselves or a caregiver that the wearer is moving in a way or adopting a posture that makes a fall more likely or even imminent:

http://s2is.org/Issues/v6/n3/papers/paper23.pdf

BTW, when I use a plural pronoun when the subject referred to was introduced as singular, I’m trying to avoid the sexist reference to “he,” “his” or “his/her,” e.g., using “themselves” instead of his/herself, etc. I understanding skipping into the plural like this is now accepted English usage. Alternating between “his” and “her” is supposed to be acceptable usage, these days, too. Nothing wrong with just staying with one pronoun sex, either, but I like the indefinite plural.

Will they work With Android?

Scroll down a ways on this page, there is an Android Compatibility section.

From what I read and my previous research and three day demo on Starkey HAs, the phone app will work for the monitoring, but no streaming, per this line near the bottom of the page.

Thrive Hearing and TruLink Hearing for Android do not provide streaming at this time.

Thanks- I tell you, there is not much motivation as a HA wearer and Android user to buy new HA’s at this point if you want to utilize direct streaming to an Android phone. Waiting to see if there will be simply a software upgrade or if there will be a need for new hardware/chip in the HA to support direct streaming.

Getting my Livios Friday. Old Linx are problematic and Linx HD trial was good, but not great. Just learned of the translation app which could be a life changer for me for many reasons. Will report.

What is the prospective cost? Thx!