Programming the Phonak Audeo Q

Scroll down to see all the steps for programming the Phonak Audeo Q.

>>Links-for-Hearing-Aid-Self-Programming<< may answer questions you might have.

This is my USB Hi-Pro. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Hi-Pro is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Hi-Pro, without me, is useless. Without my Hi-Pro, I am useless. :smiley:

Cable to connect USB HI-Pro to your PC

Phonak hearing aids use special cables (CS44a, not the standard CS44 cables) because Phonak has pins 3&4 switched for some obscure reason. I used the standard CS44 cable with this special >> DIY converter <<.
Standard CS44 Programming Cable (shown below, same as Oticon Programming Cable #3)

Closeup of [FONT=&amp]CS44 Programming Cable[/FONT]

Using DIY Phonak cable converters connected between the Hi-Pro and standard CS44 cables.
If you have Phonak CS44a cables (instead of standard CS44 cables) then don’t use the DIY converters.

Ready to connect cables to Phonak Audeo Q.

The programming cable just plugs directly into the Phonak Audeo Q.

All Connected: PC to Hi-Pro, to DIY-converter, to Cables, to Audeo Q.
Ready to program with Phonak Target software.

Note that you could also program the next generation AudeoV using this same setup.
Except that you would need to use Phonak Target updates to update from Target 3.3 to Target 4.0
Do this by running Target 3.3 and then use Phonak Target updates to update from Target 3.3 to Target 4.0
Happy programming…

Thank you for the post.

I see that the CS44a plugs into the Audéo with the battery door open to allow access, and hence no battery power. But I figure using a Hi-Pro doesn’t prevent in-ear fitting procedures (e.g., Target’s feedback test), so therefore I conclude that the HA is powered via the CS44a. Is that right?

(I know this may seem a dumb question, but I just want to make sure that in-ear procedures can be used.)

Yes that is correct. Yes, in-ear procedures can be used.

brec, are you going to try programming before or after your dispenser visits are complete? just wondering how you are going to keep the dispenser informed of the changes you make. i suppose they could download from your aids the current settings. good luck.

My dispenser is a couple of thousand miles away from where I live – I bought them while traveling. The nearest Connect Hearing to me is a 2 1/4 hour drive. The original dispenser knew of and had no problem with my self-fitting intention. My hearing loss is a standard age-related pattern and I’ve had no problems with them in the first six days – indeed, on the second day I went back and requested that they be set for 100% of target up from 90% – so I’m not expecting the need for more visits. Certainly there are no significant annoyances – a few times a day I assure myself that they’re installed by touching one of them. I expect to experiment with various programs and various button functionality. But yes, the config can be downloaded from the HAs.

Thanks.

Progress report: I’ve modified two serial cables using RJ-45 modular connectors and couplers to splice as previously noted. I connected all six wires, as that was easier than determining which two aren’t used. The modified cables test good end-to-end with signals 3 and 4 swapped. I have CS44 cables, so with those plugged into the modded serial cables I have DIY CS44a cables. I’ll post more details by and by on the CS44->CS44a thread. But meanwhile:

The USPS just delivered a Hi-Pro USB. Stay tuned to see whether I can get it working with Win7 virtualized on a Mac…

(No way I could have gotten to this point without you, pvc. Thanks!)

Egad! Target 4.1 sees the Hi-Pro USB! I didn’t try to install the drivers on the CD; Mac OS saw the device name and identifying data, and Win7 via VirtualBox thus saw it too; after I selected the Hi-Pro from a VirtualBox menu of various USB-connected devices, Win7 went off for a while looking for a driver on the net and evidently found what it needed.

Next: how is the CS44[a] connector oriented to the HA? Imagine that the HA is being worn; does the wire from the connector trail off behind the ear or in front of the ear? The photo above, with the connector close to the HA but not inserted, suggests to me the wire trails off behind, but I’m not positive. The connector and the pins in the HA are so tiny… I can’t find a mating position for which insertion is easy, and I don’t want to apply undue force.

Edit: see next post.

OK, I was able to insert them as I inferred from the photo.

The HAs are getting power from the Hi-Pro but Target 4.1 doesn’t see them :frowning:

“Detect was not successful.” “No hearing instrument detected.”

Sometimes I wonder why i get “No hearing instrument detected” and it’s because I forgot to insert the DIY convertors into the cable path. :mad: Also the CS44 cable needs to be snugly plugged into the HA. But in this case it is likely the VirtualBox emulation?? Maybe try it on the old Win-Xp Laptop?

We let the cables drape in front of the ears.

On a hunch, I removed the DIY CS44a cables and plugged the CS44 cables directly into the Hi-Pro USB.

Target connects to the HAs!

Maybe this change (no longer needing wires 3 and 4 swapped) is new in Venture? Dunno, but I’m a happy camper.

brec was confused in the above post.
Phonak still uses CS44A cables which is same as CS44 cables except pins 3 & 4 are reversed.

This Phonak page specifies “CS44”.

brec was confused in the above posts.
Phonak still uses CS44A cables which is same as CS44 cables except pins 3 & 4 are reversed.

Suggestion: Audiology Online has free courses online. You have to become a member to view the courses but it’s free unless you wish to receive credits for the courses. Try searching the directory of courses By-Company/Phonak…
>> Audiology Online free courses <<

Thanks for the good info. I will get my Audeo Q soon and plan to try this out.

The Target 5.0 cable help lists the Audeo V under the CS44a cable.

The Target 5 software says “CS44 - (Phonak version)” for the Audeo V

“CS44 - (Phonak version)” means CS44A.
brec was confused in the above posts.