Forum disturbances

After many many PM’s, flags, and deleted posts, I’ve come to realize that @SpudGunner, @hass5744, and @prodigyplace are repeat offenders when it comes to off-topic, unwelcoming, and sometimes just rude posts to new and existing members. I’ve tried being patient for a couple months hoping that things would self correct with a few warnings, but after watching too many good people leave the forum, and the place generally devolve from what it once was (a welcoming and friendly place), I’ve decided to put those three users on a 2-week suspension to see if things calm down a bit in here. If this is a welcome move, let me know in the comments. If not, let me know in the comments. In the meantime, I’ll be deciding whether to make the break permanent.

I’m sorry to all that have lost faith in this forum due to a few bad actors. I know all 3 of them have contributed valuable information to the forum, and have often been supportive of other members, so I know they aren’t all bad… but there are plenty of other members who are good contributors AND don’t insist on being intermittently rude or derailing otherwise constructive conversations… I know this move will be controversial, and I welcome all view points. Thank you.

72 Likes

I’d just about given up on the forum and see this as a good move. It goes to the heart of the thread I started a while back about off topic comments in threads.

This should be a welcoming place for new members, and too many times in the last several months new members are exposed to less than the best of us.

26 Likes

Having read through the following thread: Recommendation based on Audiogram, I see a fresh illustration of the issues you outlined, Abram.

5 Likes

Thank You Abram
I know I stopped posting as often as I use to because of the nasty remarks one person in particular would make.

10 Likes

I agree, I’ve had a few snarky replies. They think they know everything.

5 Likes

That thread is what finally did it for me.

5 Likes

Awesome move. 30 days might be more appropriate.

5 Likes

This is welcome news and I believe the right decision. One of those individuals should receive a life time ban in my view, as he has upset many people, including myself.

10 Likes

Hearing Tracker can be an invaluable source of information and needs to be protected as such. It’s about sharing experiences in a supportive manner and this can lead to people in a very lonely, difficult place getting results that can be life changing for them. There is no place for distraction or negativity and I welcome any measures taken to protect most importantly, people who may reach out in really difficult times. Anyone who has any degree of deafness can relate to how isolating and lonely it can be. Creating or contributing to a thread should create a relevant and supportive discussion, so that any follow up posts can be received with curiosity and positivity. All the best to everyone who continues to contribute in a positive and constructive manner.

21 Likes

Forums like this are supposed to be informative and supportive of people who need either technical or practical help with their hearing loss.

If people can’t provide these essential things without being rude or dismissive, then I agree that some form of sanction is required.

9 Likes

Very good move, thank you Abram !

10 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been around the forum since 2010, and while I haven’t been active that whole time, have definitely noticed a rise in off topic rambling, acrimonious posting, and less than helpful reactions to newbies over the past few years.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t cry if he got one (I think we’re on the same page), but, you know, everyone deserves at least one chance? Maybe?

3 Likes

OK. A suspended sentence then.

2 Likes

These three clowns seem to infect every single good discussion thread and turn it into a shouting match. I think they are just lonely and do it for attention but the net affect is that they scare off people who come here for help and advice. What bothers me the most is that many of the new people who come here for help are already very emotionally beat up because of their recent hearing loss diagnosis and it’s horrible when they get caught in the crossfire.

Anyways…start with a suspension and see if they smarten up or leave.

Thanks for running this incredible forum. Sorry you have to deal with this stuff.

Respectfully,

Jordan

22 Likes

I’ve had very positive interactions with all three of them, so I do hope they are able to come back and that things won’t devolve again. I have seen the issues, but I’m often surprised by something that seemed small being taken the wrong way blowing up into something else. I think perhaps I’ve become familiar enough with them that I recognize their tone and intent in a way that allows me to read a comment differently. Maybe I’m an optimist, but perhaps they’ve just gotten comfortable here and have stopped policing their tone the way one needs to with new people, and hopefully the temporary ban will be enough.

But I do recall when I first joined there was a member who I found so toxic that I stepped away for a few years without any intention of returning. He had been banned when I did return and it had certainly changed the atmosphere in a positive way.

Your approach sounds very fair to me.

16 Likes

I find myself somewhat torn. On the one hand I believe people deserve a second chance. On the other hand, this is not a new issue and not the first time Abrams has needed to be involved. If making this permanent makes less work for him, I think that would be a reasonable decision.

14 Likes

Hear, Hear, and Thanks

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. I have browsed and read how they respond to threads and it is very condescending and rude.

3 Likes

I was going to post the other day on workarounds I’ve found for using Bluetooth streaming with Lumity P90s. There are some limitations to the “mixing board” approach Phonak uses and I thought others might be interested.

I didn’t post because I sensed there would be snark around the workarounds being too obvious, unclear, incorrect or otherwise detrimental to the community. I’m old enough to keep these things in perspective, but it just didn’t seem worth the effort to enter yet another “no good deed goes unpunished” situation.

Anything you can do to keep snark, rudeness, and condescension out of this community is welcomed.

9 Likes