VA hearing aid eligibility

Yeah, I see that now. All sites are a bit different and when I saw “new topic” I thought that was it. But even with that goof, have gotten some good answers

Thanks, Fred I think that will get me on the right road. Makes me feel better.

Yeah, when I got drafted they didn’t ask squat about my income. Go-figure. And oddly, I know guys who are doing quite well (40 acre farm, corvette, 4x4s, etc) and use the VA all the time. I’m not knocking them (one of them a dust off pilot) who actually bailed our asses out risking his own life. What price do you put on that? Well, I’ll stay away from politics, just odd how illegals seem to have a blank check for so much while they act like vets are trying to steal.

1 Like

Yes, M-16s/CAR-15s. They were knocked a lot (especially in early years) but I babied mine and it became my best friend. But a few K rounds through it without ear protection did a lot to damage my ears, my right ear for obvious reasons. Thanks a lot for your info, especially the video. I might ask about disability as it honestly made my job harder, but I guess I have always felt so blessed to have come in pretty much one piece, but not having full hearing - well you know what I’m talking about.++

I was Infantry got out of the Army in 1974. Never put in a claim or even signed up or went to the VA. I went to a VSO in Louisiana in early 2017 and put in a claim for hearing loss and Tinnitus. She put in the claim and I got called for a C&P exam. They sent me to a outside VA Dr. I told her what my job was in the Army and about the noise I was exposed to and how it effects my daily life. She did the test and sent her report to the VA. Probably two months after the C&P exam I was awarded 10% disability for the Tinnitus and 0% Bilateral Hearing Loss. And I called the VA told the Audiologist I would like to get hearing aids. She ordered them and when they came in she called and I went and got them.

I went back yesterday to get them adjusted and to tell her I would like to have a sound machine to use when trying to go to sleep with the Tinnitus She ordered the sound machine and said it will be sent to my home.

If you’re a Vet and have hearing problems go to the VA and get help.

1 Like

Yep I can order batteries every 6 months for mine. I have Resound linx2

1 Like

n7It’s very helpful if you bring with you a copy of your DD214, your discharge paper. Determination of eligibility is determined by many factors. You must have received an honorable discharge. Eligibily may be determined by when and where you served. Don’t try to figure it out by youself. It’s too complicated. And it must be done in person. Is there a VA hospital near you. That’s one place to start. There are others. This subject has come up here on this site many times in the past. I served two years stateside at the end of the Korean War. Some six years ago I walked into my nearest VA hospital with my DD214 and possibly some other papers. Since then I have had several pairs of the best hearing aids.

1 Like
  1. Are you talking about applying for a service connected disability with compensation?
  2. Are you talking about getting hearing aids for your hearing loss without compensation?

Don’t say it’s too complicated, let’s figure it out. Watch the videos to try to determine which apply in your case.

I believe the general consensus is that applying for a service connected disability (VBA - Veterans Benefits Administration) is complicated as you say. And, in the past that may have been the only way to get free hearing aids.

But if you have VA Healthcare (VHA - Veterans Health Administration) and you have a hearing loss, and you don’t wish to apply for a service connected disability, then just make an Audiology appointment to get free hearing aids for your hearing loss.

IMHO I would say just get into the VA system to start to receive services, get your HAs, and then pursue the service connected disability. That way you can hear better now while the disability claim is processed.

1 Like

Not every veteran is eligible for VA health care. Here’s a calculator - straight from the VA - to see if a veteran is eligible. http://hbexplorer.vacloud.us/

I’m not eligible, and am in the process of filing a claim for service connection to my hearing loss and tinnitus.

2 Likes

‘s No calculator replaces going to a VA hospital or the equivalent and presenting them with a DD214 and/or whatever paperwork they ask for and finding out if one qualifies under their rules. Determining one’s own eligibility is like being one’s lawyer without a law degree. Of course one needs proof of service, usually the DD 224, the discharge papers, and an honorable discharge. But some of the rest is complicsted. In my case, for example, one reason I managed to get into the system depended on the state where I reside.

2 Likes

To be honest that calculator is there to get as many as possible to just give up and not try to get in the system.

I found another VA calculator. Hahaha J/K I made it up…

• Do you have VA Healthcare (VHA - Veterans Health Administration)? Yes :heavy_check_mark:
  • Did you make an appointment with the Audiology Department? Yes :heavy_check_mark:
  • Do you have a hearing Loss? Yes :heavy_check_mark:

Voila!

I think bottom line is that they are not consistent and trying to figure things out on your own could lead you astray. In earlier posts, people were encouraged to contact some sort of VA representative, I think the Veterans Service Office. If you’ve already tried and been turned down, couldn’t hurt to try again; something might have changed. If your financial circumstances have taken a downward turn, definitely worth trying again.

2 Likes

I had help from my State representative to Congress.

It’s not that complicated. First figure out which of the following two you are seeking;

1. Applying for a service connected disability with compensation $$
  2. Getting hearing aids for your hearing loss without compensation. Note that (for this option) it doesn’t matter whether your hearing loss is service connected. This option is simple (use my made-up calculator 2 posts above)

The other option (#1 applying for a service connected disability) is complicated and Yes, you should find a VSO in your area to provide face-to-face assistance. The video in post#23 of this thread gives you a phone number for finding a VSO. Don’t forget to also claim your service connected tinnitus in addition to your service connected hearing loss.

1 Like

No offense but, that calculator worked just fine for me. After I answered all the questions, it said I was probably eligible for hearing aids, etc. Then it asked if I wanted to apply for health care benefits on line? So I did. Total time for calculator and application. Almost an hour.

Two weeks later, I was accepted into the system. A month later I went in for tests and Dr. exam. Three weeks later I went to the Audiologist. Then it was almost 5 months before I received my OPN1’s.

The online calculator and application form worked great for me.

2 Likes

I agree. It doesn’t even give me the option of veteran. just national guard or active duty. I’ll call a VSO today if I can.

Let’s review the first question asked by the VA Health Benefits Explorer a.k.a calculator mentioned by @Stevyn in Post#50 and used successfully by @Fred_Flintstone in Post#57 to not only determine his eligibility, but to apply for VA Healthcare Benefits online;

You say there is no option to select Veteran, only Active or Reserve. Both are veterans. The calculator is asking whether you served in Active duty, or Reserve/National Guard duty.

Heck; let’s go over the rest of the Yes/No questions too. There is a Financial form at the end where they ask about your income, So maybe you cannot make too much money;

Were you separated from active military service under Honorable or General under Honorable Conditions?
Did you enter service after September 7, 1980?
Are you a former Prisoner of War?
Do you have a VA rated service-connected condition?
Are you receiving a VA pension?
Are you a Purple Heart recipient?
Were you discharged from the military due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty?
Are you eligible for State Medicaid benefits?
Are you within 5 years of discharge from the military?
Did you:

• Serve in the Republic of Vietnam between January 9, 1962 and May 7, 1975
  • Serve in the Southwest Asia theater of operations any time during August 2, 1990, through November 11, 1998
  • Become exposed to ionizing radiation during atmospheric testing or during the occupation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
  • Participate in Project 112/SHAD?

Are you a Medal of Honor Recipient?
Financial Calculator Form

Thank you for completing VA’s Health Benefits Explorer.
Based on the information you provided, you may be eligible for enrollment.
Apply for VA health care enrollment now.

1 Like

I was discharged from the AF in 1972 with an honorable and 10% service connected disability. I have not applied for compensation but did apply for healthcare. One call to the VA and sent in my DD214 (which notes the service connected disability) and I was in the system. Only reason I went to a VA hospital was to get my picture ID. All of this was just so I could get hearing aids. Simply made an appointment for a hearing test, they reviewed my hearing loss (not service connected) and bingo top of the line ReSound Linx 2’s with life time battery and accessories. I had Simems Pure’s for 5 years before going to the VA and can tell you that the Audiology department at my Hospital in Massachusetts is totally committed to the Veterans hearing solution. Every time I go there I’m thankful that I started the process.

2 Likes