VA hearing aid eligibility

I thought that having a service connected disability equates to compensation. If you got one, you got both. Though I could be wrong?? Does your bank account have any auto-deposits from “VACP TREAS”?

When you are up high in the disability range (which can actually go above 100%) I believe that there is a greater likelihood that there is compensation. I have no compensation and while have thoughts about applying, it had nothing to do with my healthcare eligibility. Strictly because I was discharged with 10% I automatically qualified for a certain level of healthcare. I can’t speak for those who have no service connected disability and apply for healthcare.

I am getting a monthly check or deposit for my 20% disability, it isn’t much but it does pay for my car, and motorcycle insurance.

… dcLudwig … Just my personal experience with the V.A. and hearing aids. I began my health care with the V.A. due to cardiac problems. After I retired, I PURCHASED HA’s from a local audiologist prior to seeking V.A. care. I had questioned several people about the HA’s (to include VA employees at my local clinic) and was told that they would furnish HA’s only if the hearing loss was service-related – not my case. So, I just put off my increasing problems for a period of time.

Finally, getting to the point that something had to be done, I just bypassed my VA primary care and went directly to the Audiology Clinic – just 3 blocks away – and explained to the audiologist that I had been told I did not qualify for HA’s, but if they would help me, I would gladly pay any co-pay required. I was told by the audiologist that they didn’t care if the loss was service-related or not; if they determined that any veteran required HA’s, they would be provided, free of charge.

I was stunned, and told them what I had been told at the VA clinic just across the street. They said they didn’t know where the [clinic personnel] information came from, but it was incorrect. I was immediately scheduled for a complete audiology screening after which they indeed determined that I had a significant hearing loss and would benefit from HA’s. They were ordered from their supplier, ear mold impressions were done, and in just about 3 or 4 weeks, I had a new pair of HA’s – at not a cent in cost to me.

Later, I was also furnished with a remote control/bluetooth telephone device that interfaces with my cell phone so that I can use my phone through the HA’s. In addition, after having the HA’s for a couple of years, I was involved in a car wreck during which I lost the left HA; several of us searched the wreckage, but no luck. I went back to the VA, explained my situation, and was told that was not a problem. They ordered a replacement and were cheerful and helpful during the entire process.

In short (may be too late for that), I have had a totally wonderful experience with the VA Audiology Department here in my local area. While I don’t understand what the difference is with other facilities, I’m just thankful for the personnel here. I think my success was a result of “sidestepping” the forms and initial answers, and going directly to the Audiology clinic to arrange for an appointment (BTW, you need to have already established health care with the VA in order to deal with Audiology).

I hope you have great success in following up with your hearing care.

1 Like

I am the friend/caregiver of a 90 year old Korean war vet.
The VA provides tremendous services for veterans and you do not necessarily have to have a service connected disability or injury.
As a Vietnam Vet you should have no problems. If you do not have a local VA clinic, sometimes the VA will pay for you to go to a local vendor, if you cannot receive services within a certain time frame.
VA has provided top-of-the-line Oticon blue-tooth type to the gentleman I assist, at no charge. They were provided after a hearing test a the local VA clinic. After the testing, they arrived within 2 weeks and were fitted and set-up at the clinic. He lost one about 2 years ago and they upgraded his older model to the latest quickly.
I take him to VA for his free hearing aids, free eyeglasses and free medications. Everything else goes through a Medicare supplemental policy and private doctors.
Thank you for your service!
Bob

First, are you in the VA health program? If not get enrolled.
I am on my second set of Starkeys from the VA and they are great for me. They even got me the bluetooth interface so my phone goes directly to the aids. Really great. I was not in Vietnam but was around and in very noisy aircraft. All I had to do to get them was to ask if I qualified for hearing aids and they said yes and made me an appointment with their audiologist. They will give you a new set every 4 years. A great deal for up to date aids.
I only recently applied for hearing disability. That takes a while but they will help you apply.
Hope this helps.

I am 100% service connected for hearing loss I spent 18 out of 22 months off the coast of Vietnam You have to have patience with the VA. I was Told I had no benefits. I said no, I know I have them. Each and every time I had to make appeal after appeal. The VA figures the average person will give up that is why they deny almost every claim. Just keep after them it will work out in the end.

1 Like

I got my last pair of HA from the VA in Orlando, FL the service was above reproach. they provided me with Phonac Audeo B, they wrk very well.

You can’t go wrong with the VA the staff is on top of their game.

I am not a vet, thus can’t give any first hand facts except that I have a neighbor who is a disabled vet, and he just received the best money can buy - & for free as far as i know. Price does not seem to be an issue. He has the same system of hearing aids and assistive listening devices (ALDs) that I purchased 3 years ago for approximately $7,000.

Best to you in this journey. It is worthwhile!

lra

1 Like

I have been getting my hearing aids from the VA since 2005 and I have never gotten anything but the very best, in the way of hearing aids and also needed supplies and extras. I am now wearing the 4th pair of hearing aids that the VA has supplied. And due to the way my hearing has been failing is why so many pairs of aids.

I’ve had a very good experience with the VA once I processed the application and got my card. I have to say that even that delay was mine. I just could not face the stack of forms and not a clue where to start.

Then one day the VA called me asking why I had not filled out my forms. They suggested that I take my DD214; a passport and drive over the the VA hospital. Well, I had my card that day.

I had HA’s in 3 weeks and have had 2 surgeries on my ears since. I and my wife have been very impressed with this service.

I got mine about three years ago and a guy here who was a VA audiologist and a Nam vet told me if you were in country you would get glasses and hearing aids. I was and I got them even though I had to file for a disability and was denied.

How often do you get them replaced? Is it a hassle?

I have been getting my aids replaced about every four years. The VA standard is four to six years. It seems to depend on how old the hearing aid model was when you got your aids, the condition of your hearing aids, and your hear loss. I have not had any hassles at all about my aids, ar getting service, supplies or even need extras. I have lived in three different VA regions with no issues. But I have to say each clinic and region does things a little differently.

I am a veteran with no service related disabilities (including hearing loss), but I am registered with the VA Healthcare. I do have severe to profound hearing loss and personally purchased Starkey I2400 HAs less than 2 years ago. They are working OK.
The VA audiologist tested my hearing and said I was eligible for new HAs from the VA in 2 years (the VA 4 year cycle) or earlier if mine failed. Because of the VA Priority Group I am enrolled in, I was charged a $50 copay for the audiologist visit. I am under the impression the batteries and new HAs through the VA will be free. However until I actually get them, I am not sure that will be the case.

When the time comes, you’ll get top of the line hearing aids and free batteries,
You will also be charged another $50 copay.

At the VA, you get new glasses for free every 3 years unless your vision changes too much, then you get them sooner, basic glasses that is.
For hearing aids you get them every 4 years for free, regardless of your copay status. Copay is for meds not glasses or hearing aids.

Fred and Slovak: Thanks for the information.

I’m in Group 6.
In 2018, I gladly paid $456 in co-pays. $16 was for meds. $100 for initial & final fitting of hearing aids. The rest was for blood work, Dr. exams and tests.
I’m only speaking for myself. Your mileage may vary.

I get new glasses every year from the VA. Just got my new hearing aids last week. You also get free batteries for the hearing aids and any extra devices such as things for the tv.

1 Like