VA hearing aid eligibility

To be honest that calculator is there to get as many as possible to just give up and not try to get in the system.

I found another VA calculator. Hahaha J/K I made it up…

• Do you have VA Healthcare (VHA - Veterans Health Administration)? Yes :heavy_check_mark:
  • Did you make an appointment with the Audiology Department? Yes :heavy_check_mark:
  • Do you have a hearing Loss? Yes :heavy_check_mark:

Voila!

I think bottom line is that they are not consistent and trying to figure things out on your own could lead you astray. In earlier posts, people were encouraged to contact some sort of VA representative, I think the Veterans Service Office. If you’ve already tried and been turned down, couldn’t hurt to try again; something might have changed. If your financial circumstances have taken a downward turn, definitely worth trying again.

2 Likes

I had help from my State representative to Congress.

It’s not that complicated. First figure out which of the following two you are seeking;

1. Applying for a service connected disability with compensation $$
  2. Getting hearing aids for your hearing loss without compensation. Note that (for this option) it doesn’t matter whether your hearing loss is service connected. This option is simple (use my made-up calculator 2 posts above)

The other option (#1 applying for a service connected disability) is complicated and Yes, you should find a VSO in your area to provide face-to-face assistance. The video in post#23 of this thread gives you a phone number for finding a VSO. Don’t forget to also claim your service connected tinnitus in addition to your service connected hearing loss.

1 Like

No offense but, that calculator worked just fine for me. After I answered all the questions, it said I was probably eligible for hearing aids, etc. Then it asked if I wanted to apply for health care benefits on line? So I did. Total time for calculator and application. Almost an hour.

Two weeks later, I was accepted into the system. A month later I went in for tests and Dr. exam. Three weeks later I went to the Audiologist. Then it was almost 5 months before I received my OPN1’s.

The online calculator and application form worked great for me.

2 Likes

I agree. It doesn’t even give me the option of veteran. just national guard or active duty. I’ll call a VSO today if I can.

Let’s review the first question asked by the VA Health Benefits Explorer a.k.a calculator mentioned by @Stevyn in Post#50 and used successfully by @Fred_Flintstone in Post#57 to not only determine his eligibility, but to apply for VA Healthcare Benefits online;

You say there is no option to select Veteran, only Active or Reserve. Both are veterans. The calculator is asking whether you served in Active duty, or Reserve/National Guard duty.

Heck; let’s go over the rest of the Yes/No questions too. There is a Financial form at the end where they ask about your income, So maybe you cannot make too much money;

Were you separated from active military service under Honorable or General under Honorable Conditions?
Did you enter service after September 7, 1980?
Are you a former Prisoner of War?
Do you have a VA rated service-connected condition?
Are you receiving a VA pension?
Are you a Purple Heart recipient?
Were you discharged from the military due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty?
Are you eligible for State Medicaid benefits?
Are you within 5 years of discharge from the military?
Did you:

• Serve in the Republic of Vietnam between January 9, 1962 and May 7, 1975
  • Serve in the Southwest Asia theater of operations any time during August 2, 1990, through November 11, 1998
  • Become exposed to ionizing radiation during atmospheric testing or during the occupation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
  • Participate in Project 112/SHAD?

Are you a Medal of Honor Recipient?
Financial Calculator Form

Thank you for completing VA’s Health Benefits Explorer.
Based on the information you provided, you may be eligible for enrollment.
Apply for VA health care enrollment now.

1 Like

I was discharged from the AF in 1972 with an honorable and 10% service connected disability. I have not applied for compensation but did apply for healthcare. One call to the VA and sent in my DD214 (which notes the service connected disability) and I was in the system. Only reason I went to a VA hospital was to get my picture ID. All of this was just so I could get hearing aids. Simply made an appointment for a hearing test, they reviewed my hearing loss (not service connected) and bingo top of the line ReSound Linx 2’s with life time battery and accessories. I had Simems Pure’s for 5 years before going to the VA and can tell you that the Audiology department at my Hospital in Massachusetts is totally committed to the Veterans hearing solution. Every time I go there I’m thankful that I started the process.

2 Likes

I thought that having a service connected disability equates to compensation. If you got one, you got both. Though I could be wrong?? Does your bank account have any auto-deposits from “VACP TREAS”?

When you are up high in the disability range (which can actually go above 100%) I believe that there is a greater likelihood that there is compensation. I have no compensation and while have thoughts about applying, it had nothing to do with my healthcare eligibility. Strictly because I was discharged with 10% I automatically qualified for a certain level of healthcare. I can’t speak for those who have no service connected disability and apply for healthcare.

I am getting a monthly check or deposit for my 20% disability, it isn’t much but it does pay for my car, and motorcycle insurance.

… dcLudwig … Just my personal experience with the V.A. and hearing aids. I began my health care with the V.A. due to cardiac problems. After I retired, I PURCHASED HA’s from a local audiologist prior to seeking V.A. care. I had questioned several people about the HA’s (to include VA employees at my local clinic) and was told that they would furnish HA’s only if the hearing loss was service-related – not my case. So, I just put off my increasing problems for a period of time.

Finally, getting to the point that something had to be done, I just bypassed my VA primary care and went directly to the Audiology Clinic – just 3 blocks away – and explained to the audiologist that I had been told I did not qualify for HA’s, but if they would help me, I would gladly pay any co-pay required. I was told by the audiologist that they didn’t care if the loss was service-related or not; if they determined that any veteran required HA’s, they would be provided, free of charge.

I was stunned, and told them what I had been told at the VA clinic just across the street. They said they didn’t know where the [clinic personnel] information came from, but it was incorrect. I was immediately scheduled for a complete audiology screening after which they indeed determined that I had a significant hearing loss and would benefit from HA’s. They were ordered from their supplier, ear mold impressions were done, and in just about 3 or 4 weeks, I had a new pair of HA’s – at not a cent in cost to me.

Later, I was also furnished with a remote control/bluetooth telephone device that interfaces with my cell phone so that I can use my phone through the HA’s. In addition, after having the HA’s for a couple of years, I was involved in a car wreck during which I lost the left HA; several of us searched the wreckage, but no luck. I went back to the VA, explained my situation, and was told that was not a problem. They ordered a replacement and were cheerful and helpful during the entire process.

In short (may be too late for that), I have had a totally wonderful experience with the VA Audiology Department here in my local area. While I don’t understand what the difference is with other facilities, I’m just thankful for the personnel here. I think my success was a result of “sidestepping” the forms and initial answers, and going directly to the Audiology clinic to arrange for an appointment (BTW, you need to have already established health care with the VA in order to deal with Audiology).

I hope you have great success in following up with your hearing care.

1 Like

I am the friend/caregiver of a 90 year old Korean war vet.
The VA provides tremendous services for veterans and you do not necessarily have to have a service connected disability or injury.
As a Vietnam Vet you should have no problems. If you do not have a local VA clinic, sometimes the VA will pay for you to go to a local vendor, if you cannot receive services within a certain time frame.
VA has provided top-of-the-line Oticon blue-tooth type to the gentleman I assist, at no charge. They were provided after a hearing test a the local VA clinic. After the testing, they arrived within 2 weeks and were fitted and set-up at the clinic. He lost one about 2 years ago and they upgraded his older model to the latest quickly.
I take him to VA for his free hearing aids, free eyeglasses and free medications. Everything else goes through a Medicare supplemental policy and private doctors.
Thank you for your service!
Bob

First, are you in the VA health program? If not get enrolled.
I am on my second set of Starkeys from the VA and they are great for me. They even got me the bluetooth interface so my phone goes directly to the aids. Really great. I was not in Vietnam but was around and in very noisy aircraft. All I had to do to get them was to ask if I qualified for hearing aids and they said yes and made me an appointment with their audiologist. They will give you a new set every 4 years. A great deal for up to date aids.
I only recently applied for hearing disability. That takes a while but they will help you apply.
Hope this helps.

I am 100% service connected for hearing loss I spent 18 out of 22 months off the coast of Vietnam You have to have patience with the VA. I was Told I had no benefits. I said no, I know I have them. Each and every time I had to make appeal after appeal. The VA figures the average person will give up that is why they deny almost every claim. Just keep after them it will work out in the end.

1 Like

I got my last pair of HA from the VA in Orlando, FL the service was above reproach. they provided me with Phonac Audeo B, they wrk very well.

You can’t go wrong with the VA the staff is on top of their game.

I am not a vet, thus can’t give any first hand facts except that I have a neighbor who is a disabled vet, and he just received the best money can buy - & for free as far as i know. Price does not seem to be an issue. He has the same system of hearing aids and assistive listening devices (ALDs) that I purchased 3 years ago for approximately $7,000.

Best to you in this journey. It is worthwhile!

lra

1 Like

I have been getting my hearing aids from the VA since 2005 and I have never gotten anything but the very best, in the way of hearing aids and also needed supplies and extras. I am now wearing the 4th pair of hearing aids that the VA has supplied. And due to the way my hearing has been failing is why so many pairs of aids.

I’ve had a very good experience with the VA once I processed the application and got my card. I have to say that even that delay was mine. I just could not face the stack of forms and not a clue where to start.

Then one day the VA called me asking why I had not filled out my forms. They suggested that I take my DD214; a passport and drive over the the VA hospital. Well, I had my card that day.

I had HA’s in 3 weeks and have had 2 surgeries on my ears since. I and my wife have been very impressed with this service.