Using Oticon TV adapter 3.0

This one works for my arrangement:

J-Tech Digital Premium Quality SPDIF TOSLINK Digital Optical Audio 4x2 Matrix (Four Inputs Two Outputs)

1 Like

Hi everyone. I got the Oticon TV Adapter 3.0 last week and I’m having such problems with it.

For years I used the Ponto 3 SP (BAHA) with the Oticon Medical Streamer and was very happy with it. Then a couple of months ago I upgraded to the Ponto 5 SP and discovered it’s not compatible with the streamer. First I tried the ConnectClip but it’s more suited for phone use than TV because of lipsync issues. The latency is terrible. Something to do with the A2DP codec it uses (most modern devices use the aptX codec to avoid this problem).

Last week I was able to get the Oticon TV Streamer thinking it would be the magic pill, but it’s anything but. It has some of the wildest, most aggressive dynamic volume adjustment (is that the right term?) I’ve ever encountered. If two voices are speaking simultaneously, it will lower one and increase the other. I don’t need this at all.

When loud sound occurs for effect in a movie (explosions, background music, etc.) it is instantly flattened, presumably ensuring voices can be heard, destroying the intended effect. It is so jarring because it’s obvious what’s happening and the lack of atmosphere it induces absolutely kills action films, thrillers and films with jump squares for me.

Worse though: noisy street scenes in some films/TV series are just a complete mess. It’s hard to concentrate on what anyone is saying because it does weird things to the noise from cars and other pedestrians.

Another thing: If a scene is quiet and there are pauses between dialog, it crackles briefly when someone starts talking. It’s like it decides to change the volume or frequency of their voice every time someone speaks after a silence. Something in the tone of someone’s voice will also induce a very brief muffled sound, like the treble is turned right down for a second before it’s corrected again.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I’m just trying to convey the problem in the hope someone understands what this ‘dynamic volume adjustment’ thing is that I’m having problems with.

What I want to know is if an audiologist will be able to disable if I take it to my next appointment. I can tell this adapter is capable of good sound. All it needs to do is stop adjusting all the volume and frequencies of everything I’m hearing.

I’m currency switching back to the Ponto 3 SP and Medical Streamer every time I wish to watch TV or use other audio sauces, and it makes me anxious because I was using them four years before getting the Ponto 5 SP and I’m worried one or the other will flake out, effectively ending my ability to use a decent ‘headphones solution’. At certain times of day and night, I have to use headphones out of respect for others.

Interesting I have the TV adapter that I use with my More1 aids and before with older Oticon aids without the issues you are explaining, I wonder if it is the fact it is your aids that is the issue. I don’t know that but it does seem that way.

1 Like

Sounds like you need the program that the Oticon TV Box uses, adjusted, on your new BAHA.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression the box itself was responsible for the weird dynamic audio adjustment. Weirdly, the audio is much worse with the TOSLINK than it is with the RCA cable. You would expect it to be the other way around.

Is the TV adapter normally setup by an audiologist before the user takes it home?

I ask because the clinic ordered this for me and set it through the post. I just assumed that was normal. It was easy enough to setup myself, and by that I mean, wiring it up, switching it on and pairing it with the Ponto 5 SP device. The Oticon app on my phone immediately recognised it.

The TV adapter is just a transmission of the sound from the TV to the aids the aids does the work to hopefully allow you to understand what is on TV.

2 Likes

The EduMic and TV Adaptor use the same program.

I’ve just looked at a PDF altho pretty blurry but it’s the same when I tried Oticon Hearing Aids.

The PDF was for a Ponto 5 SP.

1 Like

Thank you for that info. I didn’t realise. I really thought the TV adapter itself was responsible for some audio processing as well.

The Ponto 3 SP and Ponto 5 SP both adjust audio on the fly in every day usage, and it’s very helpful. The Ponto 3 SP didn’t do this when the Medical Streamer was attached though, but it seems like the Ponto 5 SP is doing that. I guess I will pack it up and contact Audiology. Hopefully they will be able to sort it out.

Oticon recommends using the TOSLINK input if available. However, the Adapter will accept only stereo/PCM or Dolby Digital as input with TOSLINK. If your TV sends newer or more complicated versions of Dolby over TOSLINK, that may be the issue you have. Note that Oticon specifies the total latency (TV Adapter input to hearing aid speaker) and it depends on the connection - Analog: 25 ms, Digital: 28 ms, Dolby Digital: 45 ms.

1 Like

I have one of the newer Samsung smart TVs, I use the TODLINK and don’t have a sound system or sound bar. I read lips and I notice no delay in audio. To me my setup is like that speech and conversation is brought to the forefront and sound effects are surpressed to the background. I normal do a balance between my hearing aids microphones and the streaming. But sometimes I either mute the TV speakers or my hearing aid microphones so I can better understand speech.

Oh yes, this is definitely correct. The only way I can use the TV adapter is by selecting the program called ‘TV Adapter / EduMic’. It’s a… wild experience. :wink:

1 Like

Audio quality seems a bit better when TOSLINK is in Linear PCM mode than Dolby Digital. Both sound worse than RCA in noisier scenes though, but the bizarre dynamic audio adjustment seems to be the culprit, not the audio quality.

I can understand why a lot of users would need conversation emphasised above everything else, and I think I would have needed the same when I had regular HAs. The BAHA implant has been kind of revolutionary for me though and I really don’t need it that kind of adjustment when listening to devices like TV, computers, etc… The Oticon Medical Streamer (paired with the previous Ponto 3 SP) didn’t adjust audio on the fly. It just provided very rich sound. Perfect for watching films, computing, gaming, etc. I didn’t care that it connected to these devices with a cable because it was so good. If only Oticon hadn’t sacrificed Medical Streamer compatibility with the Ponto 5 SP… :disappointed_relieved: It’s been a real step back. I’ve never had to keep switching back to an older device before just so I could watch TV.

1 Like

My hearing loss is a combination of inherited and military service. I have severe cookie bit loss, with my middle frequencies being worse. It wasn’t caught until way into my 8 years into the Navy. At the same time my blood pressure issues were caught. It seems that my hearing loss flusters me to the point my blood pressure climbs. As I have found out over time the better my aids work the lower my blood pressure.

1 Like

That sounds rough. Hearing loss really can be tiring and stressful. I lost most of my hearing in 2010 as a result of cholesteatoma and brain surgery. My left side ended up with near profound loss and my right moderate to severe loss. Then the right side unexpectedly deteriorated further in 2015 and for the first time I felt like I could use the term ‘deaf’ to describe myself.

As most of the damage on the right side was in the middle ear, the surgeon recommended a BAHA implant because it would transmit sound directly to the cochlear, bypassing the damaged ossicles that were problematic for a regular HA. I was stunned by the difference. I feel like I’ve got most of my hearing back. I can function ‘normally’ again.

I suppose I should count myself lucky that my biggest problem today involves interfacing with electronics. :robot:

That’s your first problem, you need to wear them.
Work with your AuD to make the adjustments you need.

1 Like

Just ordered TV adapter. New to More 1 HA. I asked my audiologist if he needed to put a TV program on my aids. He said no there isn’t one. Sound like he is wrong???

No he is, You will have to pair your aids to the TV adapter, that adds the TV adapter to your aids and the ON app

1 Like

I have the Oticon TV adapter with NHS Oticon Engage. I find it’s marvellous and can still hear the TV sound clearly when I go in the kitchen.

However there are certain American shows that have loud background noise and it can drown out quiet dialogue.

I also find the TOSlink/digital sound far clearer than the other inputs.

My go to for setting up TV sound is BBC news.

For trouble shooting
1/ Check the digital cable (Toslink) reconnect it if necessary- both ends.
2/ Re-pair your hearing aids to the TV box
3/ Select the TV program on your aids using Oticon On app. Adjust the TV volume using app until it’s comfortable. It might be worth muting the aids microphone using the app so you only get TV sound.
4/ On the TV select TV audio settings change the setting to either ‘Clear Voice’ or ‘ Speech’
5/ If you have sync problems you can select the digital output and change the delay on the digital output .

If you have the Edumic you can plug it into the TV headphone socket for comparison.

Finally if you find the digital (TOSLink) connection is worse than the other connections it would be worth trying a different digital cable.

Rob

I’m using Philips 9040 aids and just acquired the TV adapter. I believe the TV adapter is essentially identical to the Oticon one. I’m getting good sound from using the RCA cables, connected to my TV soundbar, which is fed from an audio cable from the TV.

However, my soundbar buzzes somewhat with this setup. It’s only noticeable when the sound from the TV is very low. Some sort of interference is occurring. I thought I might be able to eliminate it if I moved the TV adapter as far away from my soundbar as possible, but that didn’t help. (Just to clarify, I’m not getting a buzzing sound from the HAs; only from the soundbar speakers.)

Any thoughts or advice?