Using Oticon TV adapter 3.0

I think that was due to lack of comment/observation yesterday that the sound was only in the left ear, unfortunately.

However, I played a YouTube video on his phone, and it did stream to both ears from his phone, so at least that type of streaming works. I am not sure if it’s the same type of streaming; for example, whether they’re both Bluetooth. Or if the TV Adapter itself could only stream left and not right, somehow? I find that harder to believe than a defective hearing aid, or some setting I’m still missing. Thanks again.

With no particular thought that it would matter, I unplugged the TV Adapter’s power, waited, replugged it, and now both ears have audio. I can’t explain it, but I’ll take it. Hoping it still works next time and it’s not a coin toss every time. I will follow up with how the audio splitter works, for community info, but knock on wood, my questions are mostly resolved. Or to put it another way, my user errors MAY have reached an end on this setup! Thanks for all help and support.

1 Like

Yeah, if streaming works on both sides from the iPhone but not on the TV Adapter, then we know that it’s not the hearing aid then. So you’ve been able to narrow down the likely culprit (the TV Adapter), then the first step is to power cycle it. It’s possible that one of the paired connection between the TV Adapter and the HA (obviously the right one) got corrupted somehow and a reboot fixed it.

The streamer now finally works as intended, with any sound coming from the receiver.

It took a while to set it up. I could get anything BUT the receiver to work. Finally figured out that I needed to set the receiver to “TV+AMP” under the HDMI settings. That did the trick.

Thanks for all who helped, and hopefully this thread helps somebody else in the future.

Glad to hear. Those digital/HDMI settings for the TVs and receivers are notoriously confusing and hard to understand. One also needs to know the difference between encoded and unencoded/raw digital signals, between what can be carried via SPDIF/Toslink vs HDMI, etc. That’s why you have to divide and conquer first -> establish that the TV Adapter to HA works from using a simple audio source first.

I am enjoying my TV adapter 3.0 with my More1’s… the only real complaint is the program beep when switching from P1 -> TV… its so loud and ear piercing to the point of being very uncomfortable. I had to turn off ALL program change beeps within Genie…

Did you change the Beep Signal Level to Softer? See the screenshot below in the middle of the page. Maybe you have it on Louder or Normal.

You can also play around with the Frequency setting (Low, Medium, High) to see which tone gives you the softest signal as well.

Ya. that was the first thing I did… Im @ Low Freq w/ Softer… and that is totally fine with normal program changes from P1->P2 etc… but going to the TV it blows your eardrums out…

That’s interesting because I haven’t heard other More users with the TV Adapter complain about this yet. I never have this problem with my OPN either.

It may be worth trying to clear the pairing and try to repair your More with the TV Adapter again to see if that solves the problem for you or not. If not, you may want to ask your audi to replace the More for you to see if that helps. That’s just not acceptable to have such a loud beep.

The only time I get very loud notification sounds on my OPN is when my iPhone receives notifications and I hear it from the OPN. But that’s only if I set the Ring volume to max. If I lower the Ring volume, the notification is not as loud.

thanks for the tip Volusiano, I tried to delete the paring and that did not help… So I experimented with the Beep signal frequency… I was set to LOW/Softer, and when you change to the TV program you get an audible sound with two Pings… “Low-High”… its the 2nd ping HIGH is LOUD

I found that setting the signal frequency to Medium, changes the tone of the “pings”, and the now its a bit better… I will try this out for a day or so…

I have bad high frequency loss, so the High Frequency setting for me set at Soft is barely audible and I probably can’t hear it in very noisy places. So I prefer to set the beep signal frequency to low so I can hear it more. In your case, you probably want to do the reverse.

I don’t know what your audiogram looks like, but if you change the Beep signal frequency to where your hearing loss is worse, then it probably won’t sound as loud as where your hearing loss is better.

As an iPhone user with Philips Hearlink HAs I’m not familiar with a “Beep signal frequency.” Is ‘beep’ the same as notification? I’m not finding any frequency settings anywhere.
Are we even talking about the same thing or is this something in the Oticon settings (As I said, I have Philips, which has some similarities, but I’m not seeing anything like that…I am having trouble with the Philips TV Adapter, also similar to the Oticon Adapter 3).

When you change programs or volume, etc, either via the hardware button or via the phone app, the HAs give a beep signal to signify the program change. Like 1 beep tone for program 1, 2 beep tones for program 2, etc. Or one short beep for volume up or volume down. Then there’s the start up chime as well. Or a series of beeps signifying a problem with the HAs, etc.

The beep signal frequency allows you to set this beep sound at either 750 Hz, 1 KHz or 1.5 KHz, and also the loudness level of the beep (Soft, Medium, Loud). For example, if you have worse hearing at 1.5 KHz than 750 Hz like mine, you’ll probably want to set the beep signal frequency at 750 Hz so you can hear the beep better at a lower frequency, even at the Soft beep volume. Otherwise, if I have my beep at 1.5 KHz even at the Loud beep volume, I may not hear it as well if I’m in a noisy place.

Below is the screenshot for the Philips HearSuite software showing the option to set the beep signal frequency and level at the bottom of the page. Your HCP can adjust this on the HearSuite software for you.

If one needs to connect multiple sources to the TV Adapter, there are also optical switches available. I have a DirecTV DVR with an optical outlet and an Apple 4K with no optical port. Because my receiver has no optical out connection and does not pass 4K video I implemented the following:

• Apple 4K with audio extractor.

*DirecTV optical out goes to optical switch

• DirecTV HDMI output goes to receiver where audio supported by receiver and 1080p video signal then goes by HDMI to TV

The switch and extractor are relatively inexpensive. The switching can be difficult to teach someone.

1 Like

I am using Oticon More and TV Adapter 3.0 and all is fine except when the show I’m watching on TV is slow and I decide to check something on my iPhone. “Something” could be a news app (such as BBC) or a bank account app (such as UBS). Whenever I do that, the audio source to my HAs is switched from TV adapter to the app (even when the app has no sound e.g., UBS). In order to resume listening to the TV I have to either close the “something” app I opened or, to open again the Oticon ON app. When I do the latter, I see shortly a message saying “This section is currently unavailable due to external sound source” but the message disappears quickly and the audio source is restored (to the TV adapter).

Does anybody know of a way to check other apps while listening to the TV adapter without stopping the audio connection to the TV adapter? Of course, the obvious exception has to be a phone call.

Did you try to fiddle with the Settings -> Accessibility -> Hearing Devices -> Audio Routing -> Media Audio and change it from Automatic to Never Hearing Devices? I think this will not try to route the media audio to the hearing device, thereby preserve your TV Adapter connection to your hearing aids.

2 Likes

Volusiano, you are golden! I learned a lot from your write-ups and you have answers to almost all the questions people are asking. Many thanks, form all of us.

Specifically to the setting you describe i.e., Accessibility -> Hearing Devices -> Audio Routing -> Media Audio. I have it set to Always Hearing Devices for the simple reason that I wanted everything routed to the HAs.
Instead of setting it to Never Hearing Devices as you suggest, I set it to Automatic.
I will monitor if there are cases when this setting will get the audio routed to the phone while I want it in the HAs but in the case of the TV adapter audio, this did the trick: when changed from Always Hearing Device to Automatic I was able to open all kind of apps while listening to the TV, without dropping the TV audio (with one hilarious exception: the UBS bank app and I definitely don’t need to open it frequently).

Again, thanks a lot.

1 Like

Glad to hear it works for you! I have mine set to Automatic. I was suggesting Never if you want to make sure, but if it works the way you want with Automatic, then that’d be a better option.

I’m happy to see this worked. I have Jabra aids and had to set streaming to never so I could use my phone while watching TV using the TV Streamer 2.

I’d be web surfing or scrolling through Twitter and the TV Streamer sound would drop as I’d hit something with a video.

And I echo the comments about your great input to the forum, @Volusiano.

1 Like

Do you have a link to this optical audio switch?