Steps necessary to pair Roger Select to Lumity 90 hearing aids

Because you have type2 receivers you are obviously very aware of the incredible contribution Phonak has made through their educational systems division. Their profits are well deserved.

The complaint here that they won’t replace a lost receiver is bizarre. Other Swiss companies won’t replace your lost watch either regardless of how much you may have paid for it.

1 Like

Yeah, I am aware @Psych1, these Roger X, alongside the whole Roger System, the educational (Type 2) of which you speak, where not developed for hearing loss by Sonova, the actual development (R&D costs) was incurred by the US Military (Namely Seal Team 6) Seal Team 6 wanted a “hard to hack”, communication system , that worked well in noise… I am almost certain, Sonova wouldn’t have done all this R & D, without charging the military? So in essence, the whole Roger system (hence the name) was developed, bought and paid for by the military, you would have thought, it could have been sold to disabled folks a bit cheaper, but no, they probably inflated the price? In truth, I have nothing against profit, but excessive profit sticks in my craw… Especially when you consider that some HOH, need these Roger systems in order to hear, in a hearing world…As always, YMMV… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

not hardware, but software, easily moved from one device to another with no or minimal expense to the company. completely different situation…

Can you cite that source?

1 Like

If I recall correctly @Neville, an Australian Clinical A.uD, Dr Emma Russel on you tube, said that Roger was developed for “Seal Team 6” Allegedly :upside_down_face: If you listen to this Dr, she has a pleasant Irish Lilt, she tells you how, the Roger system came about, via Phonak Communications, and how/why it was developed, and then passed on to Phonak Hearing… Cheers Kev :grin:

2 Likes

That’s interesting. I fell like it would be kind of… Insufficient for seal team 6’s needs? Put a body in front of it and the signal flips out.

1 Like

Yeah @Neville, I can understand why Seal Team 6 would want a close combat effective communication solution, especially in loud noise, with all kinds of ordinance going off, communication is key, to get a positive outcome… What I find very interesting is, the system retained, probably its original prototype name, and that speaks volumes of its original military intentions… Roger is also used heavily in the Movie Industry, using Phonak earpieces, (£1350 a pop) in conjunction with Roger Touchscreen, a director can speak to all the cast, collectively or individually, it’s an amazingly versatile system! Cheers Kev :wink:

Edit… I would imagine it’s not the same version we use today, I would think the range & power that the military use for the original Roger, might be 10 fold @Neville :wink:

@kevels55
Interesting stuff regarding the history of Phonak Roger.
Peter

1 Like

Thank you @PeterH… I find the whole Roger system fascinating, it’s short history, why it was developed, also what it can & can’t do… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Just heard that Phonak have agreed to waive the fee for a new licence.
The audio really tried hard and has been successful.
Sadly this doesn’t change the lack of transparency with Roger licensing.
Phonak really should make it very clear( in writing) to purchasers that the licence attaches to the aid and loss of an aid will result in a new licence fee.

4 Likes

Yeah @tgh, I am glad you got sorted :grin: I agree wholeheartedly… The entire Roger system, is excellent, but Phonak tends to be more than a little obscure, with their lack of transparency! In their blurbs… They tell there prospective buyers, their aids have built in Roger receivers, but neglect to say, they are unlicensed, and going to cost you around £600 for a pair of (type 3 Roger X receiver’s) or around £1200 for a pair of (type 2 Educational Roger X receiver’s) Unless you buy a Roger On In device, which have (type 3) Licenses pre-installed… For the uninitiated, (type 3) work with certain devices, and (type 2 Educational) work with all Roger devices… For clarification, Roger On In devices, you can install the licenses yourself, but actual Roger X receivers require a Roger Installer, and they can be difficult to come by, usually only A.uD’s & HIS have the installer, I got mines from a South Korea eBay seller, (now around £200, counting the expedited postage) For me, it is difficult to envisage how Phonak can justify their pricing policy, Highway Robbery comes to mind, they charge what they feel like, because the can!!! Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

The educational Roger Microphones haven’t been updated since 2017.

Can’t understand why they aren’t bringing new educational ones out.

2 Likes

I have no insight, but I’d guess they’re working on a new system that uses LE Audio and Auracast, or at least figuring out how they want to deal this new standard and it’s impact on the market.

1 Like

Not that I use mine much Ruth… I have 3 Roger Inspiro’s, I got them for around £40 each… I believe they where still selling these new last year, for around £1350 each!!! For older Tech, that’s an eye watering price, but they still work fine, there was a firmware update for these, which I installed last year, but I have no idea how old this was? Educational Roger Devices are extremely pricey, but you can pick them up relatively cheap on eBay, if you shop around… TBH, I couldn’t justify buying new, so eBay is my friend :joy: Cheers Kev :wink:

Would that means schools etc need to update their systems for those to work?

1 Like

I have no idea how Phonak is going to handle this. Both Phonak and Apple are faced with a new universal technology that competes with their proprietary product. It will be interesting to see how they both choose to deal with it. I can’t think of any great parallels. Only thing that comes to mind is VHS vs Betamax. VHS won, but is now extinct and has been replaced by streaming.

3 Likes

That’s because it (Phonak Goody Two-Shoes Philanthropy) will be handy to use as a Get Out of Jail Free card. Such Phonak monkey shines dont fool me. Once bitten twice shy.

Good for you! How long since you performed this miracle. Are they working out well?

Had you used the RS with other hearing aids previously?

So let me see if I have this right? All this time I’ve spent trying to connect new Lumity 90s with Roger Direct was waste of time and I failed because I don’t have an installer?

First I’ve heard of this.

1 Like

You’re completely misunderstanding things.

Completely different things…….

1 Like