Phonak Lumity Naida 90 UP BTE Review

Never tried the V1 Peter… I got the first V2 about 5 years ago, came as a freebe with a set of Marvel 90 RIC’s, 2nd one was used from eBay, 3rd one, I believe I bought it from @Zebras on here? TV Connector 2 is a very versatile piece of kit, I like the ambient balance feature, if I am plugged into a football match, and others are in the household playing games (Loudly :upside_down_face: ) I can just fade them out, using the app, and concentrate on the finer things in life :rofl: I don’t know what fitting formula you use Peter? When I started using NAL NL2, I didn’t particularly like it, but I persisted with it, and eventually acclimatized to it, took about a month on the Naida M70’s, nowadays it sounds perfectly suited to my needs… Cheers Kev :grin:

2 Likes

@kevels55
Hi. Yes the Ambient balance is a great feature and works well for both versions.

My Audio uses Adaptive Phonak Digital, so I’ll leave the P90s as they are.

I shall give NAL-NL2 a go on the Marvels right now as I’m off down the pub in an hour :slight_smile:

Just done a fresh fitting on NAL-NL2. I’ve just disabled Sound Recover 2, as I don’t think I need it with my loss.

I shall report back after testing :slight_smile:

Cheers
Peter

2 Likes

Thank you Peter, I look forward to your assessment of the NAL NL2 fitting formula, that should be interesting… Cheers Kev :grin:

@kevels55
The moment I walked in, I knew the high frequencies were not enough, as speech was poor from the first interaction. These were as first fit with full moulds.

I am using Music as default in both sets by the way. On swapping back to P90, each ear improved with high end. So back home (after a few) to reprogramme.

Just added 3dB to G50 2k-8k and 2dB to G65 2k-8k. Will try again tomorrow.

I should claim expenses lol

Cheers Peter

1 Like

I would like to second @PeterH and @kevels55 's suggestions. I have one v1 and one v2 tv connector. My v1 is actually a v1a or whatever they call the second release during the supply chain strangle they had to go to because parts were hard to get. I also have a Roger On ALD microphone. I use all this kit everyday with my Audeo P90R HAs. My TV Connectors are usually on computers (one with optical link, one with aux cable). I stream a lot through the roger to save battery on the HAs. When I get in a noisy restaurant or chatty crowd, the mic in my hand is wonderful.

WH

2 Likes

Maybe you have too long cable from aid part of RIC to the speaker in custom shells? It strongly affects directionality of microphones. I strongly recommend links below:

1 Like

His quote is from this thread, about number 50 post.
I see his point about receiver directionality.

2 Likes

Aye okay Rick, I was going to trawl through and check, but I couldn’t be bothered, apologies! I will delete my previous post :rofl:

2 Likes

All right :slight_smile: I know that keeping forum in order is also necessary.

1 Like

Thank you @Bimodal_user … I thought your post was from another thread, apologies! @Raudrive has a good memory, unlike my own :rofl: Cheers Kev :grin:

1 Like

I see you have moisture inside the earmold tubing. I use a hearing aid dryer and an bulb to force air thru the tubing.
Tiny droplets of water will reduce your hearing aid gain.

1 Like

Thank you, I did notice it, when I zoomed in :grin: Yeah Terost, been using hearing aid driers for a few years now, I think, I am on my third version? I pop them in every night, the image was taken immediately after taking them out, I have no vents whatsoever on my custom moulds, or molds to our American cousins… So naturally, moisture gathers in the tubes. Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

Look forward to hearing your report after disabling Sound Recover 2

Happy New Year!

DaveL

2 Likes

I bought a new Roger Pen, well in truth, not new as such, new to me :rofl: I got it for £125, and free shipping from eBay, my other Pens battery is goosed, it had all the accessories with it, which some of these had remained unopened, the Roger Pen itself was in absolutely pristine condition, it looked unused or extremely lightly used, no wear whatsoever… Tried it out last night whilst heading up to play in the pool league, in my friends (slightly noisy) 4 X 4 Suv, it’s a diesel, I was in the back, picking up little snippets of the conversation of the 2 in the front, so I switched the Pen on, instantly I was now picking up most of the conversation, but not all, as I had hung it up on the driver’s headrest, and they where facing away from the actual Mic, but all things considered, it was a good compromise… On the way back, we where discussing our team win, I had given the Pen to the driver this time, to wear around his neck, I was blown away with the overall clarity of the Pen, absolutely pristine audio, every syllable was crystal clear, what a weapon! His front passenger, wasn’t as clear though, but I was getting the gist of his input… Now in the past, I have been known to be slightly derogatory of the Roger Pen, probably because I had a much older version, but this one in conjunction with the Naida Lumity’s, absolutely rocks on the lanyard, delighted :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Cheers Kev :smile:

5 Likes

Kev thanks for posting.

I have used Phonaks for more than 10 years. 3 sets.
I was sitting in the front passenger seat in my Jeep Wrangler taking photos. Paradise P90R’s. Jeep is noisy. I didn’t even know that there was a conversation going on…no idea.

Way-back? This wouldn’t have happened with my first Phonaks set up the way they were by a wonderful audiologist.

Now? First they have to be set up properly for features to work. Compression…gain…and the HA’s have motion sensors! and Directional Mikes! And background noise suppression! and more–frequency shifts!

I’m really glad your setup works for you. In about 3 years I shall qualify for new hearing aids under workman’s comp.

As my hearing deteriorates I likely shall need Naida 90 BTE’s But they do not dispense the top rated hearing aids. And I believe they don’t buy accessories such as the ones you describe.

Thanks for your post.

3 Likes

You are welcome Dave :smile: A few years ago now, thinking back, probably 11 years, the reality dawned on me, if the state wasn’t going to provide me with the best possible hearing aids, as a duty of care, then it was up to me, as a duty of care to myself, to fill that gap… It was a learning curve, and the Internet was/is my educator… I will literally spend days, researching, reading up, watching YouTube videos, reading hundreds of reviews from many different sources, I will jump in at the deep end, and be one of the early responder’s on the uptake of a new hearing aid, simply because it’s my passion, and I am already saving for the next iteration of Phonak Naida in a couple of years time or so? Hearing well with my level of loss, will inevitably be a major challenge… In conjunction with Roger devices, I bridge that gap, and the impossible becomes entirely feasible… Without fear or favour, I can truthfully say, with Roger devices, in “certain situations”, I hear better than I did, prior to SSNHL, and if you think about it, that is a massive endorsement of how effective Roger is, I can now hear better in noise, than someone with pitch perfect hearing!!! In most instances, I do not advocate buying new Roger devices, they are way too expensive, shop around, be patient, try on the likes of eBay, you take a chance, and its a gamble, picking reputable sellers helps your odds, but you can unearth a bargain. Cheers Kev :smile:

3 Likes

I think I’m basically following your story, only 150 miles south of you :slight_smile: . My 2nd & 3rd NHS adjustment appointments were totally inadequate. I just knew I should be hearing better (like @DaveL with his P90s). So I went private as well.

Tonight, I’m also travelling to a pool match, so I’ll take my Roger On with me. I shall try placing it in the front by the gear shift, while I’ll be sat in the back. I’ll report back later… if I can type :wink:

I won’t have the courage to take the lanyard. My P90s only have Music and Comfort in Echo, and generally hearing speech in a moving car isn’t good for me. The Speech in Car setting did nothing for me.

Chat later
Peter H

3 Likes

Hi Peter, yeah I know that NHS feeling, of being totally underwhelmed with their fitting :rofl: Good luck tonight in the pool match :smile: I would be inclined to hang it off the rear view mirror on the lanyard, that’s central, and about head hight, also try the Pen with the hearing aids muted & unmuted… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

@PeterH

I used to use the Phonak APP a lot. It was encouraged by the dispensing audiologist.

I found a couple of things that helped. Using the APP I keyed the Clarity button. Saved the program. If you check the EQUALIZER display,
Bass is not affected
Mid is increased one notch
Treble is increased two notches.

Makes a huge difference for me. But the saved program eats the rechargeable batteries on my hearing aids.

Way back the owner of this site posted instructions on a program to use when the speaker is wearing a surgical mask. Made a wonderful difference–HUGE–for me. I posted about it. I can’t find my posts on this site. The program came from PHONAK.

I regret I don’t have enough skill to find my old posts on this forum. Causes me lots of grief.

@DaveL
I’m with you on the Clarity option being best.

This tells me that your expectations of what hearing aids need to be are similar to mine.

The problem I see is that Phonak suggests you make these personalised programs, that are just right, then you should tell your Audiologist, and they’ll replicate it with a fixed program.

Well, how are they going to do that? Target doesn’t have a 3-band Graphic Equalizer, and its Feedback management and whistleblock will just stop you doing it anyway.

2 Likes