Phonak Lumity Naida 90 UP BTE Review

Right Folks, we have the all new singing & dancing “Naida Lumity 90 UP BTE” which uses 675 batteries… Picked them up this morning for a 2 week free trial, that Boots Hearing Care UK, kindly offered me, in order to access them against “The Naida Paradise 90 UP BTE” which are approximately 33 months old… First impressions, Clarity! They are much more clearer than the Naida Paradise, by some distance I would say, but it is early days, although I did noticed this immediately, with my A.uD’s voice, she is quite quietly spoken, but I was getting almost everything she said :grin: I have had a couple of long conversations, with 2 folks I usually struggle with, again the clarity has improved greatly, and I missed virtually nothing in both conversations… I tried a couple of cell phone calls, these where also excellent audio conversations via Bluetooth, even down to the little nuances in folks voices, I hadn’t really noticed before… All in all, an excellent start, I am thinking these could very well be keepers? I am also, acutely aware, how much better these might sound if REM was done, only certain branches of Boots have REM equipment, but they are I believe hoping to roll this out at some point in the near future, unfortunately my branch doesn’t have REM, yet… I will post up, in a few days, as I try these out within various acoustically challenging situations, I will try out my various Roger devices, and report back… Cheers Kev :grin:

21 Likes

@kevels55 Thank you and much appreciated.

1 Like

Good results Kev, yes I’d like to know how much more you could get out of them getting REM done, just goes to show a good fit can be done first time!

3 Likes

Thanks for your review. I’m not needing Naida class devices, but it is good to see head to head comparisons in the tough places.

WH

2 Likes

Here is @JordanK’s Impression of the Audeo Lumity for reference:

5 Likes

Audeo vs Naida. We know the Audeos are good for their fitting range, but what about severe or profound losses?

WH

1 Like

The audeo are offered with P and UP receiver, so are no problem, I’ve used them myself, but I no longer use Phonak.

3 Likes

@WhiteHat I am sure the Naida Lumity is better!!! than the Paradise, but to what degree?
Slightly? A lot? Marginally? …
It’s up to the individual to test it and make up his/her mind.
But from the feedback on this forum, it seems like the Lumity platform is a step better than the previous generation and for some it is better than other brands.
The million dollar question is: To upgrade or not to upgrade! that is the question.
Unfortunately, a part from Phonak who are taking all hearing loss spectrum into account, other manufacturer seem to be dragging their feet or maybe they’ve given up on the severe to profound hearing loss people, and I am not surprised given the way they treat their end users here and here.
The Naida certainly is good for its fitting range too, but is it the ultimate solution for severe to profound hearing loss?
I guess, only people in that category who can give you an objective answer.

4 Likes

Interestingly @Baltazard, I had a long discussion recently with a Phonak Management A.uD, I was concerned at the direction most of the major hearing aid manufacturer’s are taking, with predominantly making rechargeable lithium ion aids, I was reassured that Phonak will always make replacement battery aids, simply because they are heavily involved in paediatrics, it is part of their whole ethos, in conjunction with looking out for the severe/profound thresholds… And yes, Phonak does get things wrong, but in the same breath, they sometimes get things right, and I will always praise them if their endeavour’s merit this… I occasionally get totally exasperated with Phonak, especially with their ALD’s pricing… For me, it is something akin to a love/hate relationship, you can’t live with them, but you can’t live without them, but I am not privy to their business model, so I do not know how they balance their books… I just feel, they could give the Severe/Profound a “Leg Up” occasionally, instead of paying through the nose, all of the time! As always, YMMV… Cheers Kev :wink:

7 Likes

Why not? Hmmm . . . :thinking:

1 Like

Billgem it’s a long story, but basically Autosense just annoyed me, plus I just couldn’t get them sounding how I like things to sound, no crispness/sparkle which is how I like, Marvel was the last time I had a set, when I first tried ReSound I was taken, straight away programming them just how I like it, the same thing happened when I tried Signia, straight out of box I was able to set them how I liked, so I’m sold on these for now…but the future holds some exciting times ahead!

2 Likes

Thank you. My audiologist is recommending Phonak L90 to treat what has developed into an asymmetrical hearing loss. He says that Phonak and Starkey are the only hearing aids which allow him to do what he needs to do to equalize my hearing balance and that, of the two, Phonak gives him more options. So, hearing what you found is very helpful to me.

2 Likes

Okay folks, I was out tonight, I decided to contact one of my HOH pals, I have been coaching him at Pool (8Ball) He is improving, but it is a gradual affair…He has a Moderate Hearing Loss, and wears, Phonak Nova NHS RIC Aids, I believe they are bluetooth? Suffice to say, Peter speaks so quietly, I struggle badly with his voice, he is new to hearing aids, so I think it’s a case of him toning his voice down, because he probably now thinks he is speaking loudly? Shot some Pool for a couple of hours, in the relatively quiet environment of the Pool Room, with only us 2 in there, I was picking up his voice, no problem whatsoever, even from 10 to 12 feet away, normally I will struggle with Peter up close, but not tonight! I then purposely went into the bar, it wasn’t particularly busy, perhaps a dozen folks in there, TV going in the background, but everyone was talking away, I did inform Peter what I was up to, once we sat down near the bar, he was up for my experimentations… I sat Peter approximately 4 to 5 feet away, again I was hearing nearly everything he said, quite amazing really… I then broke out the Roger On, fired it up in presenter mode, and gave it to Peter…And WOW, I was now getting 100% of what he was saying, even down to the little nuances of his voice, I don’t ever recall getting such clarity with the Naida Paradise 90 UP’s & Roger On… These Naida Lumity’s are growing rapidly on me! Next experiment will be an extremely busy restaurant, high ceilings, hardwood floor, piped music, an acoustic nightmare for HOH, hopefully on Monday, I am bound to struggle…We shall see, cheers Kev :grin:

14 Likes

Wow that’s great news, this is gonna get better for sure, it’s quite amazing really, I’ll be looking forward to that next experiment!

4 Likes

@kevels55 Thank you for the feedback.
Did you swap between Lumity and Paradise to feel the difference in voices & noises, music …?

3 Likes

Good point @Baltazard, I will try that on Monday when I go out for lunch… Cheers Kev :smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to your Monday experiments. Cheers.

2 Likes

@kevels55 -Thank you for your feedback. That was amazing and great news!

2 Likes

Thanks Kev, I’m hanging on your every word and hoping that secret santa might get me some.
So was it the audiogram or audiogram direct that they used?
Will you be trying your rem setup from the P90’s ?

1 Like

Hi @michael1, my A.uD is a highly skilled individual, she has been working with predominantly Phonak aids for, over 10 years now, and prior to this, she was a NHS Audiologist… As we all know, there is no substitute for expertise & experience, she plays the Target software, as if it where a grand piano, lightning adjustments on the fly, requests for alterations are almost instantaneous… I have worked with this Lady, for over 5 years now, and I can say without fear or favour, she is an absolute pleasure to work with, she cares deeply about her clients, and absolutely nothing is ever a problem, but my A.uD knows me inside/out, my little foibles, likes & dislike’s, but she is very open to my suggestions… The aids where set up before I walked in the door, I had a new Audiogram done 3 weeks prior, I must say though, that Audiogram was very thorough, and I was very conscious of listening intensely, I really concentrated, perhaps much more than I would have normally? I might add, there was no significant change in my Audiogram, hopefully we got it spot on? So no Audiogram Direct was used, she ran feedback management, and switched me on, “How did that sound”, it sounded “very harsh” on Adaptive Digital, I requested NAL NL2, “did I want compression switched on”? Yes please, bingo! We where now cooking with gas, the difference was quite significant, I really like NAL NL2…Cheers Kev :grin:
Edit; I forgot to add, I have REM settings done in my Naida P90’s, I may save my A.uD’s settings, and then transfer the the REM settings from the P90’s via the import /export facility on Target, or I might request an additional appointment with Boots Hearingcare in Edinburgh, who have the REM equipment, and hopefully get it done there? Cheers Kev :wink:

7 Likes