Phonak Lumity Naida 90 UP BTE Review

My brother did transfer the setting from one P90 to another but he says they don’t sound the same, not sure what was the issue.

1 Like

Transfer doesn’t really work that well.

If you load the new P90 into the same session as the old P90, it’ll mention that they are different serial numbers, click ok and then you get identical settings on the new P90, save as normal. You then get two sessions under the same client, all with the different serial numbers.

Export and import setting doesn’t work well since Marvel, I’ve found.

5 Likes

Yeah @Baltazard, according to @Neville, sometimes import/export works well, and sometimes not! I would obviously prefer REM to be done, with the actual aids in situ… I did this when transferring the settings from the Naida M70’s into the Naida P90’s, and that definitely worked well… But, it might not work well from Naida P90’s into the The Naida L90’s? Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, the import settings generally works pretty well within a line, say M90–>M50, but it’s much more variable between lines, say M–>L. I always double check with REM and sometimes it’s very close and sometimes it’s wildly different. My REM system has this nifty little feature where you can display the measure from a previous session so that you can match the new as closely as possible (though before that feature was available as long as you had both devices you could match using multiple tracings, it just took a bit more back and forth). If you are looking to match as closely as possible this is nice on the ear, but assuming that acoustic coupling is identical then it is better done in the testbox. I have a few patients who are VERY specific in their sound preferences and in those cases I try to get the matching done before they come in, because it can take a bit of time.

3 Likes

Thank you @Neville for your valuable insight, as always, tis very much appreciated :grin:

1 Like

Good for you kevels55
If you’re satisfied with your new toys you can send them to me :point_right:

1 Like

Thank you @eyesgreendeaf… In an ideal world, our governments would provide these aids, free gratis… That would slightly level up, the sheer discrimination, we HOH all face on a daily basis! Unfortunately, we have to fork out, and live on the periphery of the hearing World, as best we can… But for me, no aids can replace what we once had, and what we lost! Everything for the HOH, is a compromise, and my heart goes out to those whom are less fortunate than myself, I have certain options, others don’t, they suffer the isolation, loneliness, stigma, and the sheer frustration of severe/profound hearing loss, and knowing there are better aids out there, to ease their pain, is a bitter pill to swallow! Simply because a lot of these aids are beyond their means, that doesn’t make life any easier, it just ads to that pent up frustration… My commiserations to all, whom are in this boat , life is a bitch sometimes, but I don’t have all the answers, nor do I have a magic wand that could erase all the injustices of this world… I wish a had! Cheers Kev :wink:

5 Likes

Hi Folks, I have to cancel lunch today, for the challenging restaurant experience or experiment, my wife can’t make it, she has cardiac training, but Elspeth is okay for tomorrow :smile: I have an alternative tonight, I am going out to a Pool Hall, with around 8 teams playing (5 man teams) so there should be 40 to 50 bodies in there, shooting pool, drinking, and generally making some sort of noise, we shall see how that goes… I will report back… Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

Hi Kev,

Quick question. I know you have the Roger On and are using it on the Lumity. Did you transfer the licences? Or is it just run via the Telecoil setting (not the Roger On iN).

Cheers,

Graham

1 Like

Yeah @glucas, I transferred the (type 02) licenses via Roger Installer on Saturday, took them out of my Naida M70’s, it takes about 5 minutes to transfer back into the Roger X, then transfer them into the L90’s, it’s a very simple process, I now have a set of (type 02) in both the Naida P90 & Naida L90’s, so I can swap out aids, and do a comparison check on the fly… Cheers Kev :grin:

1 Like

Ahh… OK. The Roger X boot. Thanks.

Very excited to hear your next instalment in noise!

1 Like

Yeah @glucas… I’m kinda excited myself at the prospect of hearing slightly better in noise, it isn’t going to be perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but perhaps I will be surprised? I took a phone call this morning, on my iPhone 12 via Bluetooth, my heart kind of sank for 2 reasons, one was I had just driven off to pick this friend up, to come and give me a hand to do some joinery work, I knew the only reason he would be phoning, was he couldn’t make it… The other reason is he is absolutely terrible at enunciating his words, on top of this, he is as quiet as a church mouse when he speaks, so understanding him, is for me, usually very problematic, I shouldn’t have worried, he came through pretty clearly, which is a first! Cheers Kev :wink:

6 Likes

Hi Folks, I was out tonight at the Pool Hall, with perhaps 50 bodies in there, piped music, and a TV going, drinking and much merriment, (I was sober) and a bandit going, with five tables shooting pool…It was fine, I actually felt quite comfortable, relaxed. and stress free, conversation up to 4 foot away was good, but obviously, I am going to miss the odd word, but for the most part, I was hearing conversation in close proximity, any further away then it was drowned out with the background noise… I didn’t feel the need for the Roger On, I was quite happy to converse up close, and in their personal space… I will try the Roger On out tomorrow, in the very challenging restaurant! I was however absolutely delighted with the 10 mile trip there, and back in a VW Diesel Camper, 3 of us in the front, me in the middle, 2 folks way back in the rear, the driver was to my right (My good ear) conversation with him, no problem whatsoever, I missed very little… The mumbler on my left however, was challenging to hear, even the driver struggled to hear him, but I was catching the odd word… The 2 folks in the rear, where fairly pissed on the way home, with road noise & engine noise, and them approximately 8 feet away, I was still catching the odd glimpse of their conversations, which I found quite amazing, considering the SNR… All in all, a fair test, and I was impressed. Tomorrow in the restaurant, I will do a direct comparison test, from Naida P90 to Naida L90, I will swap back and forth, I will also test the Roger On with both sets of aids, I have 2 x type 02 receiver licenses in each set of Naida aids, hopefully the Naida Lumity’s will perform well… I am fairly confident they will. Cheers Kev :grin:

3 Likes

Kudos to Phonak for continuing to make power hearing aids for severe to profound hearing loss group. And also HA’s that use 675 battery. Flat out Phonak is the leader in providing good quality power aids to those who need the most assistance to hear.

But sorry Kevels55 since you’re splitting hairs trying to decipher difference between the “Naida Lumity 90 UP BTE and the “The Naida Paradise 90 UP BTE”. The hearing chart range for both aids is almost identical. The size of both aids is almost identical. Exactly what does the Lumity offer that the Paradise doesn’t? I don’t see any new technology in the Lumity, other then newer aid possibly allows users to hear better when walking with someone, as far a directional microphones usage.

Though we all like new hearing aids these two aids came out within 18 to 20 months of each other. Though the first new Lumity power aids only used rechargeable batteries. So bottom line there really isn’t much difference between these two power aids. Obviously if someone was looking to trial or purchase new power aids I’d push them towards the Lumity, But if I was someone who had purchased the Paradise power aid two, three years ago I’d stick with that excellent aid for another couple years. Because there’s no “quantum leap” (in performance) between these two hearing aids. As is the case with most new aids that come out year after year. The changes are always minimal, but of course the price you pay is always excessive.

5 Likes

In a word @stevemink … CLARITY! Cheers Kev :grin:

3 Likes

Matthew Allsop from Hearing Tracker reviewed the Lumity on Youtube.

Same PRISM chip - so no difference in Bluetooth

However there are a lot of new additional features to help speech understanding in background noise, summarised below:

• AutoSense 5.0 ← Autosense 4.0 (Paradise)

• 2 Key improvements: Background Noise + Speech Understanding

• Windblock setting is available in all technology levels (unlike the Paradise family)

• Speech in loud noise automatically activates at a lower technology level

• Updated Sterozoom (10 years old) - new Stereozoom 2.0 - now adapts to noise in background and has more targeted focusing of microphones, with a slower and more gradual, smoother activation of focus. More optimal/more natural. Phonak claim a 2.5 DB signal to noise ratio improvement resulting in 16% better speech understanding over previous versions of stereozoom.

• New Speechsensor feature. 360 degree speech detection algorithm. Allowing you to hear more conversations from left, right and behind. Phonak say 20% of conversations come from these directions and older microphones were too aggressive in forward focus. Automatically detects conversations from around you and changes beamformer to a more omni-directional setting. Phonak research claims this results in a 3.4 DB better signal to noise ratio and a 15% better speech understanding when a hearing user has somebody speaking from the side.

• Dynamic noise cancellation - another component of Noise reduction system

• Motion sensors - detects when you are moving and automatically adjusts microphones to projected direction of speech

• Speech Enhancer - Enhancement of softer sounds providing a 10 decibel boost

• APD 2.0 New fitting formula to move closer to NAL-NL2 (gold standard of target)

I agree that there are some rollouts of hearing aids where there is hardly any difference. However, to quote Dr Cliff in his review of the Lumity, he says “according to Phonak their new line of Lumity hearing aids is their most significant leap forward in sound processing in nearly a decade” . So I think it’s worth Kev doing a comparison, as we need to check the veracity of these claims. If not true - then fair enough. But I’m hoping there are improvements worth an upgrade.

11 Likes

Thank you @glucas… And thank you also, for the long list of improvements over Paradise, I hadn’t read up on this, so I am much obliged… I think, like all things in life, unless you have walked in the severe/profound person’s shoes, you can never quite grasp the nettle… For me, these aids are different, it is not a fundamental difference, more of a subtle difference, but that is enough to inspire me with a new found confidence… Suffice to say, I like these Naida Lumity’s a lot! Cheers Kev :wink:

Edit; If I may add, everything is relative, I have been thinking about what I said above, a subtle difference for most HOH folks isn’t a game changer, it’s just an incremental improvement, but for the severe/profound losses, it is a massive improvement on overall clarity, even 5 or 10% is massive for us guys, we have so little residual hearing left, therefore IMO, that is more than enough to take that leap of faith, and buy these aids… As always, YMMV… Cheers Kev :grin:

5 Likes

Regarding your friend Peter, maybe his hearing aids are too loud, especially his voice, so he thinks he’s speaking well but is actually speaking softly.
Even if he was already at the initial adjustment, it wouldn’t be bad if he went again and unscrewed the iN-situ measurement.
I noticed that when I get used to the sound of the hearing aid, over time I get the feeling that it is too loud, so I had to adjust it again. maybe because the brain got used to those sounds that were too quiet before and we had a greater need to amplify them.

1 Like

Yeah @markoo355, I am the proverbial world’s worst for speaking too quietly… In mitigation, with full shell moulds, I have no vents whatsoever, and my ears feel plugged, all of the time, so I think I am speaking normally, in actual fact I am speaking way too quietly, but I was never able to adjust correctly… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

When someone has shelled out $2,500 plus for a 2020, 2021, 2022 Phonak Paradise (double that for two aids) you don’t upgrade to a Lumity for a “subtle difference”. Now if you want to trial a new power aid and don’t have the Paradise UP, then by all means pick the Lumity over the Paradise.

Good list of Lumity features Glucas. One comment though. There’s a big difference between respected Audi or Dr. Cliff saying new Phonak Lumity HA’s are the most significant leap forward in sound processing in nearly a decade versus just repeating what Phonak claims when advertising the new aid.

1 Like