Phonak Infinio Sphere vs Oticon Intent – quantitative word recognition testing

Your loss is reasonably flat from 250 Hz to 8000 Hz - you should try the AirPod Pro 2 when apple releases the self program. Retest with them in the ear and that may tell you how to tweak the programming

Yes thanks may well be worth a try.

Yeah, I shoulda just said “the IMPATIENT audi!” She literally turned me off to Oticon Intent with her lack of interest, commitment or even caring to spend time with the settings for me. I find it quite intriguing that so many others here do REALLY well with Oticon aids, and the Intent has helped them comprehend speech better than earlier models, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since I get my hearing aids from the VA I have some experience with “less than perfect” audiologists. I try to stay informed about what is current in the hearing aid world so I can ask cogent questions, while not coming off as an “expert”.

Strangely, I had a very similar experience with the Intents. Hearing in noise was amazing, but ordinary speech comprehension in ordinary situations such as the one you describe was surprisingly inconsistent. I’m thinking of going back for another trial with a different Audi.

1 Like

This is great feedback, and great to see people taking initiative to truly put these devices to the test.

@DaleM1, it you like scientific approach and experimenting, there is probably ideal page and app:

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/niosh-mining/HLSimWeb

If you feel like it, you can test denoising by Sphere AI here.

1 Like

Today I have found that video (from 5:55), so maybe it’s better than we supposed::

To answer the original posters question somewhere on this forum, it has been suggested to turn off “Bluetooth always connected” in the MyPhonak app due to the drain of the iPhone battery.

Thanks. I have also noticed (anecdotally) the same thing.

1 Like

Using the same word list over again does seem like a test weakness; the best test would be double-blind with the words randomized between each test, if not a completely new set of words for each test, i.e., ideally, you should get someone else to make up the recordings and the written-out checklist of what the actual words were in the recordings. Still, a very interesting experiment, which roughly jives with what Phonak claims will be the improvement in understanding, IIRC.

I deliberately wear ReSound Omnias with M&RIE receivers and occlusive fit pretty much for the reasons you state. The M&RIE receivers give me excellent localization (YMMV), and depending on one’s adjustability, one can habituate to an occlusive fit (it never bothers me).

Of course, with Spheric noise reduction, the Spheres can’t be beat so I’m looking forward to trialing them and breaking open my piggybank if I find them as good as everyone else says. I’d wear them with an occlusive fit, too.

1 Like

I agree. In my first comparison attempts, I generated a spreadsheet with over 500 words and then wrote a function to generate random subsets of 50 words. Then I had a live speaker read them to me. According to my audiologist, the community frowns on spoken tests (because they are non-repeatable), and I didn’t want to ask my friends to record a bunch of lists. Nevertheless, I do think the test was fair – because of the order of the tests, there was a bias in favor of the Oticons.

4 Likes

Personally, I don’t think that the Sphere is that much better than the Intent. From my point of view they are both equal but I dare say I understand better with the Intent.

@Misterref78 , I don’t see your audiogram, but from what I know, Oticon’s receivers are very good at amplifying higher frequencies, reportedly better than Phonak’s. Maybe that makes a difference.

Sorry I tried also to put it in the Audigram like you did, but I cannot see the place to put it in, I am directed to another page.

Audiogram

And yes this may be, and I also said for me, because we also heard only good things from ppl that works for them.

1 Like

Which Phonak receivers did you use? P? And what acoustic coupling? Power domes?

1 Like

That’s an interesting perspective. If they are equal for you but you understand speech better with the Sphere, then there must be things you like better with the Intent. For me, the Intents are better for music, which is a high priority for me, but not as high as having a flowing conversation in a noisy environment. I started another thread on Sphere vs Intent for music.

Thanks with the directlink I went to the hearing test section.

I use P receivers and have slimtip with 1mm vent.

I cannot say that my hearing is better with Phonak, overall I would say that the Oticon is better for me. I am sure I have to adjust the Phonak more but so far I am not really happy with them.
For me the Spherics is not better than the Edge+ in Starkey, it sounds more like the speech in noise program from Resound Nexia. I think I like more the normal sound arround me than possible pushing speech from everywhere.

1 Like

It does, even Dr. Cliff mentions Intents tent to match targets better out the box - I suppose it might be
due to the Open sound optimizer , it doesn’t imply its better aid- rather than in the absence of proper verification Itents would probably get closer to match targets.

1 Like

Okay, I though it’s because of better frequency response from receivers from Otocon. Phonak’s receiver responses for example: