Phonak Audéo Sphere

Dont shoot the messenger!

Yes of course better data would be great, however the regulatory requirements, development process and risk to patient health is vastly different for medicines versus hearing aids.

At the end of the day, if the hearing aids don’t work, they won’t sell. You’ll know pretty quickly if they do work because the other manufacturers will rush to make their own AI denoise DNNs.

2 Likes

I know, I always ask the same question, but unfortunately it’s the main aspect I look for in every new hearing aid: could you tell me if the Audèo Sphere will also be suitable for severe/profound losses like mine?

Thanks

1 Like

Phonak says its Audéo models are suitable for severe/profound hearing loss:

2 Likes

With Sound Recover yes, they’ll work for you. Without, you won’t have any chance of getting the highs as the Audeo only goes to 105 dB max.

4 Likes

This quote from the HT article by Karl Strom on Infinio Sphere, originally cited by @flashb1024
(see Phonak Audéo Sphere - #117 by AbramBaileyAuD for the full-article).

Along with some others from the media, I had the opportunity to try out this app function during a demonstration of the Audéo Sphere Infinio RIC. We were in a very noisy conference room with a lot of background noise and piped-in music. As I faced and talked with Phonak Research Audiologist Anne Miller, I could hear her voice very clearly and with good sound quality. Then, as she walked around me, I could variably hear or not hear her, depending on my adjustments to the DNN within the app. However, Anne’s voice was almost completely attenuated if she was speaking behind me and the conversational volume suddenly rose in a group in front of me. So, listening intent remains a tricky part of the AI-driven hearing equation. It’s not perfect, but having tried out countless hearing aids for over 30 years (and now with a mild-to-moderate hearing loss of my own), I was very impressed with the device and how well it zoomed in on speech in a crowded, noisy, reverberant room.

The smartphone app could have an interface with avatars of different voices it hears around your head in relative clock positions to the direction you’re facing. If you tap on an avatar for a voice to your right, that voice is temporarily made louder relative to overall room noise. You could go from avatar to avatar of speakers around you. Long press on the one you want to hear in preference to the others, and the DNN locks onto that one as much as possible and follows that voice wherever it goes (or your head goes, if you turn to look at something while you’re still listening to your preferred speaker). If you could have a version of the MyPhonak app on a smartwatch like the Apple Watch 10, maybe if you turned to look at what you wanted to hear and tapped (or double-tapped) your thumb and index finger together, you could immediately switch speech focus in the direction that you were looking from whatever you’d locked onto before in a difficult listening environment (Apple already has gesture control for the Apple Watch 10 introduced in the fall of 2023).

3 Likes

Maybe I’m exaggerating a little bit, but I am somewhat disappointed that Audeo isn’t L-shaped. It would be an improvement to align the two microphones more horizontally to improve their effectiveness.

(from Providing Some Direction – Beamformers Explained)

4 Likes

I suspect a lot depends on what you’re used to. If your current aid is a RIC with 105 dB receiver and you’re moderately satisfied, I’m guessing the Audeo Sphere will work. If however you’ve been using an UP BTE and like the power, I’m guessing you’d find a RIC lacking. No harm in trying it out if that’s accessible to you.

2 Likes

Given Phonak’s reputation for clever and inventive solutions, I believe they can develop devices that support disposable batteries. They could slightly increase the size of the devices or explore other innovative ideas to accommodate these batteries. After all, the customer is king, always! :blush:

It is very difficult because of the low voltage of zinc-air disposable batteries, which is only 1.4 V. The voltage of a rechargeable battery is 3.7V.

Even two disposable batteries in one case, set in a series circuit, give you only 2.8V.

I’m hoping they create a nadia UP (675 battery) version.

2 Likes

There’s a chance they will but it will likely be quite some time. I’d guess a year or more.

1 Like

My main problem with the rechargeable aids from Phonak has been battery life, hard to get trough a full day without having to recharge. Will be really interesting to see if they have fixed this huge issue (for me at least) with this new generation

1 Like

They just seem to drag their feet on this. It took something like 2 years to suppy the 312 Lumity. I’ll keep my money until they do :grinning:

2 Likes

“The hearing aids are said to provide 16 hours of battery life.”

Apparently, Phonak has not addressed this issue. I get 16 hours on my Paradise and Lumity HAs with a couple of hours of streaming. Advanced technology to help us hear better is wonderful but 16 hours? (The Rexton’s battery life is in the 30s btw.)

I just don’t understand their priorities.

4 Likes

Tons of info to digest here after watching Matthew’s new video. 10 db improvement for speech in noise is huge and so is Bluetooth LE Audio. Biggest question is battery life. I suspect the new AI chip is a battery hog. It’s also big. Same size as the larger Audéo Life hearing aids so people with glasses might have issues.

I’m very excited and will definitely trial these to see if the benefits are worth jumping from Lumity to Sphere.

Jordan

3 Likes

Whatever Phonak is doing could work just as well at 1.4V as at 3.7V. Zinc-air battery current limitations might or might not be a problem. But if Phonak et al wanted that problem solved, they could probably get battery manufacturers to make higher-powered 13 or 312 batteries, the way they make special 675’s for implants.

1 Like

And…the new myPhonak 6.8 is available for download in Apple’s App Store.

Jordan

6 Likes

It’s a fatal flaw and a disappointment for “medical equipment”.

Since the setup is the most important part it’s important to find a good vendor. I didn’t.

I did move to a wonderful business after watching interviews on a Hamilton television station. Oh well, it worked for me.

Phonak can definitely find a solution if they want to. After all, they eventually came out with a disposable version of their Lumity hearing aid series, namely the Audéo L 312.

My guess is that you will never get any of these advanced AI noise reduction and Autosense 6.0 features with a disposable battery hearing aid. The new dual combo of a dedicated AI chip + sound processor will require too much power. That appears to be the reason they have split the line into the top tech Sphere model and then the regular Infinio models. The larger size of the Sphere model is a good indicator that more battery was needed.

JordanK.

3 Likes