Phonak Audéo Sphere

Update from the admin: The wait is over. No more need to speculate! Here’s the news:

Original post follows:

https://www.channel3000.com/news/ponak-unveils-new-ai-powered-hearing-aids/article_c0c602b6-4c28-11ef-96d1-9b205eda2d9f.html

Conflicting article, here, as it states 2 models, but the ones mentioned are Paradise & Lumity, so…
Also found this:

Should make you Phonakians go nuts :joy: :sunglasses:

9 Likes

The timing seems about correct. But strange that this “Press Release” is bizarre and comes from an obscure site on a Sunday.

I still can’t get the AI thing in hearing aid marketing.

In the definition of AI, how can it help a hearing aid user, who doesn’t understand their loss?

Autoswitching with algorithms isn’t AI

5 Likes

Actually it’s Saturday in the USA.
This is a local TV station in Wisconsin. I saw it on a google news feed.

3 Likes

There are all kinds of problems with this article. First is the already mentioned fact that there are links to two existing hearing aids, neither of which is the Sphere.

Second is the fact that the company name is misspelled as “Ponak” in the heading of the article.

Third is the fact that the author is a college student who has just completed her freshman year.

Fourth is the fact that there is no corroborating evidence for this claim anywhere else on the internet.

I don’t know what all of this adds up to, but this can hardly qualify as a reliable source. I would simply ignore this until there is more information about a new product from Phonak.

8 Likes

AI gave us better chess-playing software. I am still waiting for anything else that I might find useful.

4 Likes

Phonak new AI plattform name will be Infinio Sphere I90, I70,…

found this on EUAH.org
https://www.euha.org/content/uploads/2024/07/vs_latzel_matthias_sonova_stoergeraeuschunterdrueckung_d.pdf?x57272
vs_latzel_matthias_sonova_stoergeraeuschunterdrueckung_d.pdf (9.7 KB)

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Dr. Matthias Latzel
Stäfa
Schweiz

Noise reduction with AI: just marketing or a real benefit for hearing aid wearers?

Since the introduction of digital signal processing, hearing aids have been equipped with algorithms for noise suppression in order to support the hearing aid user in noise situations. However, these algorithms have only marginally improve the understanding of speech in noise.
The new Infinio hearing aid platform from Phonak features a system that filters the audio signal using artificial intelligence (neural network). This separates the useful signal from the interfering signal so effectively that not only reduces hearing effort, but also significantly improves speech intelligibility.
The practical benefits of this new system have been tested in clinical studies with a total of 50 test subjects. All test subjects were fitted with Audéo I90-Sphere and, depending on the clinical center, measurements were taken of speech comprehension and listening effort in complex acoustic situations and also in real-life environments.
The data shows that this new system provides both improved speech understanding
and reduced listening effort, especially in complex acoustic situations.

5 Likes

Wow, a new platform before Virto’s on Lumity. I’d love to trial these :slight_smile:

Saw this on Google. Looks like the new hearing aid will have a dedicated AI chip.

4 Likes

Oticon Intent competitor? DNN, Bluetooth LE Audio?

1 Like

It looks like Oticon has stopped making their super power hearing aids, so if Naida comes out on a new platform, I’ll have to switch from Xceed to it.

4 Likes

I imagine any ai vs algorithmic processing at this point is fairly trivial due to chip size power constraints. In 4 or 5 generations, though, with activent or closed fit, the possibilities will be endless. Advanced ai could selectively block out ALL extraneous sounds and you could be in a crowded restaurant having a conversation that sounds like it’s in your home dining room, with people even speaking different languages like a dubbed movie .

They could accelerate this if they offload to the roger platform and use the processsing and power from that. Probably 5-6 years away if they go that route.

1 Like

saw this on a search via duckduckgo search “Audéo Sphere”

Could be that the new platform also includes a new Virto Infinio

And the name of the new platform AI chip is DEEPSONIC
Phonak i Deepsonic
Step into a world where noise is no longer a barrier with Phonak Audeo Sphere™ Infinio Unprecedent speech clarity 2. Experience the world’s first hearing aid with a dedicated AI chip DEEPSONIC TM, designed to filter out unwanted noise and let you focus on what truly matters.

And here is the original EUAH 2024 file in english from Phonaks M.Latzel about new AI platform
vs_latzel_matthias_sonova_stoergeraeuschunterdrueckung_e.pdf (10.4 KB)
as separate Link

2 Likes

That ConnectHearing webpage has now been taken down. Somebody messed up.

Did anyone save any screenshots. Curious what it said about Bluetooth protocols supported and battery life.

Jordan

1 Like

I’ve said before that I’m very skeptical of the usefulness of AI in guessing, without any inputs on my end, which voice(s) I’d like it to pick out of a babble. The position of my head is often a clue, but that’s not an AI thing, and directional beamforming has been around for years. When I think of the situation where noise canceling is an issue for me, there’s no consistency in terms of the target’s position (left, right, in front, etc.), volume relative to other speakers (half the time the problem is that the person I want to hear is barely above a whisper while the person on my other side is practically shouting about something unrelated), distance from me (think presentations or sound piped out of a loudspeaker), or really anything else. AI functions by recognizing patterns, which I’m not convinced exist here, but it has to be taught what to do in response to those patterns. Unless this comes with a much more in-depth app than Phonak’s current one, I’m not sure how anyone would be able to teach it by telling it whether it guessed right or wrong about what to do.

5 Likes

The intent was trained with dnn, but it’s not in the chip.

I think we’ll have to wait to hear it in action to know how trivial it is or isn’t, but device size is going to disappoint some users. It’s not a small hearing aid.

That “industry leading connectivity” market speak suggests to me that’s it’s still their classic Bluetooth, but who knows.

5 Likes

For sure, Bill, but the 2nd link, and a few searches take you to the trademark site, which appears to substantiate the existence of the Phonak Sphere.

I love the name Sphere, as that’s Monk’s middle name!

2 Likes

Oh well, it looks like it will be announced Tuesday. The Channel3000 link is taken down now too.

I assume by your replies @Neville, you have seen images of the “Phonak-Audeo-Sphere”… I’m curious, at the larger size, now are we talking, Naida Lumity UP size, or is it perhaps, Naida Lumity SP size? Not that I mind a large aid, I will happily wear any size of aid…I have often said in the past, I would gladly wear aids, the size and colour of a large banana, as long as they worked well… :smile: It’s just if they are fairly large like the Naida UP, is it feasible to make a Naida Sphere version? It would be nice to think so…Although, have fairly large ears, so I have plenty of real estate, to accommodate most :rofl: Cheers Kev :wink:

5 Likes

I have colleagues who have seen and heard it. Anticipation is high, but it needs to be heard outside of the lab.

Size I think will not be close to the UP, but maybe a bit like the SP, but probably smaller. I’ve heard a bit like the old naida 13 RIC, bigger than the audeo life.

2 Likes