Phonak Paradise and Lumity Long in Tooth

I see very little difference between the Naida Paradise and Lumity. Your splitting hairs comparing the two power aids together. Both very good aids for users with sever to profound hearing loss. Bu but both aids have been around a while. Paradise probably four years plus. Lumity two years plus.

Personally I think Phonak has won the power aid market leaving Oticon in the dust but wonder if anyone has a time line when Phonak might replace both Paradise and Lumity aids.

1 Like

See here. Phonak Infinio

WH

See Whitehat. I dont know for sure they included the UP receiver in the initial launch, but if not, shouldn’t be too long.

1 Like

There’s a UP?

ph-datasheet-audeo-i-sphere-210x297-en.pdf (1.1 MB)
See the end of this.

WH

2 Likes

UP is available. Its RIC style though, not BTE.

1 Like

There’s discussion in the Sphere topic about when we’ll see Naida. Roll the dice…

WH

1 Like

I see little difference between Marvel & Paradise, so maybe little difference between Marvel and Lumity?

2 Likes

Very little difference, software and new name, gets the guys at marketing excited…

2 Likes

The differences will only appear if the binaural features were correctly fitted, such as StereoZoom 2.0, Speech Sensor, etc… Lumities wouldn’t make any difference to me because I’m using an SSD, so I couldn’t get benefits from binaural features.

To be honest, I’m in no hurry to upgrade. Our existing HAs aren’t cellphones, so aren’t immediately obsolete.

2 Likes

I’m the same @PeterH, My Naida Lumity 90 UP BTE’s are excellent aids, I am in no great hurry to upgrade, even if the Spheres are exceptional aids in noise, I am rarely in that environment, in the summer months at least, winter months, I do frequent a few, Pubs, Clubs & Pool Halls, playing the Leagues, is it worth that expense, for a couple of nights per week? Probably not… I plan to start saving though, I wasn’t expecting a new iteration of the Naida for a least another year or more, I will probably wait till the 2 years are up with the Naida Lumitys, before I consider upgrading, unless I get bitten by the hype :rofl: Much depends if the reviews are exceptional for the Spheres, on this forum? Outwardly, I feel I can wait, but inwardly, I might be champing at the bit to try them out, we shall see… It is my fervent hope though, that these new Spheres, make a massive difference to the HOH of this world, Bluetooth cell phone streaming, was a massive game changer, if they can harness speech in noise, this will be equally massive! Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

Go do a trial! Maybe when your cooler weather pub activities get going again. What is there to lose? (Well, I guess the answer depends on how much you like them.)

WH

1 Like

I’m guessing you’ll see Naida next summer. But if you defer, you’re looking for three years for the post-Infinio Naida.

WH

1 Like

I could WH, I am fairly pally with my A.uD, she gave me a free trial (Approximately 6 weeks) with the Naida Lumitys, no upfront payment whatsoever… But, being a gadget freak, has its downside, if I like them, I will 100% want them, so I think I will pass, till a 675 battery version appears, hopefully around November next year :rofl: Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly, I have plenty of older models that I’m still using, I don’t bother myself trying to get the latest, but for newbies a different story.

Cheers

1 Like

Same here. The battery issue will keep my hands off my pension pot :rofl:

2 Likes

Aye Peter, I am much the same as you… If I need to hear, I have Roger ALD’s, and you are likewise. I have been spending an inordinate amount of money lately on gearing up for Salmon fishing, I have a thing about buying the best, I can afford, so it’s Simms Waders, and Jacket, Hardy’s Marquis Reels, and Loop fly rods, even second hand, these rods & reels cost a proverbial arm & leg, not too mention the Rio Scandi fly lines, they are expensive, but we are set up now, in truth, I am not keen on eating Salmon, I much prefer Sea Trout… I usually target Sea Trout anyway. But, I digress, apologies! I am hearing there is a new version of NAL NL2 fitting formula on the go, someone mentioned it on this forum, NAL NL3, I must have a swatch in Target to look out for it…For me, in conjunction with NAL NL2, is the best fitting formula I have used (to date) along with Naida Lumity 90 UP’s, the clarity I get from this fitting formula is excellent, a big step up from Naida Paradise UP’s, prior to that, Naida Marvel SP BTE’s, and before that, Marvel 90 RIC’s, with 105 db receivers, each upgrade was incremental, but I would say, the difference between, the Marvel RIC’s & Naida Lumity UP’s is quite substantial, especially Bluetooth connectivity, its night and day, I still occasionally wear the Marvels, but is a real PITA, pairing & unpairing them, and sound wise, a BTE is always going to sound better than any RIC hearing aids, tis a richer & fuller sound IMO… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Phonak Sphere initial post is way too long so I’ll add my two cents here. From what I’ve gathered new Sphere aid seems to stand out dealing with “background noise” which has always been a train wreck for many HA users. I’ll hold my powder until I read what users say after two months of testing. It seems these new aids require more power than your normal Phonak aid, so that presents some positives and negatives. Due to my hearing loss (I’m currently using the Paraidise Up 90) I realize a Sphere Up is probably a good 9 months to a year off.

14 to 16 hours (possibly more) battery life doesn’t impress me. Then you add A.I. feature (which I assume helps with background noise) that only last three hours. That’s a big negative. Seriously who wants to keep checking their watch to see when HA A.I. function shuts down and then start checking at night when aids might cut off due to battery drainage. My feelings are what ever a bells and whistles aids have should last 20 plus hours across the board. For all HA functions and not just some.

T-coil is also a pretty important function for many HA users but currently Sphere doesn’t have that. So when the dust settles in a couple months I think its all going to come down to how much better do HA users hear with Sphere versus other recent (2023 on) aids. I give points for Phonak trying new things and using A.I (if beneficial) in future aids. But I’ve been around long enough to realize hearing aid marketing doesn’t always paint a clear picture. It’s all subjective except for the usual “higher price” aid manufactures squeeze in, claiming so much $$$ went into research and development.

I would be careful though buying these new aids if they drain batteries quickly, since Phonak appears to be adding new features that might just have you charging battery way more then you ever thought.

4 Likes