Phonak Infinio Sphere I90 Review (Another One!)

I’d go along with this. I used “Music” in my last visit to the cinema. I felt that the compression in the APD fitting software kept the volumes pretty well. The louds weren’t too loud and the quiets were audible. Also, noise reduction didn’t cut in, to take sounds away. I can’t see the Sphere chip helping here at all, it would surely just get confused.

2 Likes

I’ve tried listening to youtube videos of people talking in noise and cranked it up. It doesn’t trigger the sphere mode turning on. So there’s something going on in the model that is able to tell the difference between people talking and a recording of them talking. Maybe it is different in a theater but I couldn’t get it to swap over by “tricking” them.

1 Like

@JordanK , this is possibly about you :smiley:

Yes, the proper earmold is a key issue, about which I read a great deal recently. My cShell with Phonak AOV vent gives me great sound quality, but at the expense of directionality and dynamic noise cancellation due to the 2.5 mm diameter of the vent (which is surprisingly large).

There is a screen of the size comparison (biggest vs. smallest rechargeable). For me, the large size isn’t a problem. My Paradise 90-RT is so small and wobbles on the cable so that I have difficulty using its rocker switch. My Bolero V70-P, which is chunkier in width, is perfectly comfortable.

EDIT:

Better size comparison picture:

3 Likes

Cellphones and Tablets started this trend. Surely a self replaceable rechargeable battery is possible. Like my: Drill, Saw, Vacuum Cleaner, Drone, Camera? For all these, if a battery starts to fail, I buy another, and I can fit it myself. I can also carry spare charged batteries. I look forward to this time.

2 Likes

I had a similar experience when testing the Lumity. It only worked when I used multiple devices, with a recording of a person talking directly in front of me, and other devices playing background noise on either side.

While trying out various options (Airpods, various OTC devices, etc.), I used to go to a crowded cafeteria-style food court, play an audiobook on my ipad’s speakers, and see how well the device isolated the narrator’s voice. When I tried this with the Lumities, I was initially frustrated because it just wouldn’t work at all. Then I realized it had focused on the group of people talking at the next table, who I was directly facing, and I was getting excellent isolation of their voices relative to everything else. I don’t know how it sense that the ipad voice wasn’t really a human, but since I got it to listen to humans rather than digital recordings, I decided I could live with that.

2 Likes

Perhaps your microphones are facing too far upward, so when you bow your head to your iPad, they receive sound directly from the next table instead of the tablet.
I have that problem with previous receiver cable. According to the measurements, I should have gotten a size “2” cable, which was too long and caused my HA to wobble on my auricle. I’ve got the size “0” now, and it is better.

See that post:

Speaking of speech and noise signal from the same loudspeaker:

I think you are correct that automatic Spheric mode relies a bit on directional signals. However, I suppose that in the manual Spheric program, things would be different.

1 Like

I don’t believe they work that way. From what a scientist friend of mine said, when I asked him how a RogerOn works out direction from 3 mics in a straight line and a 4th on a different plane, especially with thise mics pointing upwards.

1 Like

Didn’t I read on here, that the sphere will work just fine with a single hearing aid?
Peter

1 Like

On my post there is link to AudiologyOnline article, see it.

Yes, and pointing the mics upward is a necessary trade-off to place three mics in a line to obtain Pointing Mode 2.0 and a fourth mic to form a triangle, enabling multidirectionality similar to the Roger Select or Table Mic II.

Placing mics upward causes a tradeoff—I must point Roger On not directly at the mouth of my talker, but slightly below.

I would said more. From the interview below (from 5:50) it looks like single microphone is enough.I suppose the directionality of two mics on the Infinio Sphere gives the possibility of more efficient use of AI denoising.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what did your scientist friend say?

1 Like

To be fair, I can’t remember exactly, but I suggested that maybe it was relating to the speed of the sound reaching each microphone. I think he suggested it was more the “phase” of the sound waves. This sounds more plausible. I did notice the placement of the 4th mic on the RogerOn, would help determine direction, due to triangulation with the nearest 2 of the 3.
Peter

4 Likes

I just had my batteries replaced in my L90s. They weren’t even 2 years old and yet the battery life had declined substantially to the point where they wouldn’t last a full day for me. That said, I wear them relatively hard — 17+ hours including many hours of streaming. So I do a lot of full charge cycles, which is what wears down batteries.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the model that had battery issues? I think the L90s were the Kirkland KS10s that were pulled because of that? I could be wrong

1 Like

No. The KS10s were a white label Phonak Audeo Paradise 90, or P90. I believe that the battery issues were mainly confined to the KS10s (although I could stand to be corrected on this) and not the P90 itself. I wore the KS10s and eventually Costco just replaced the charger unit for me (or the aids - I can’t remember exactly which) after I had difficulties, and it was a successful fix. But by then the damage was done and of course, there were thousands of unhappy campers. Btw, there was a lot of cloak and dagger over the exact derivation of the KS10. Some claimed it was the Phonak P90, but others claimed it was a Hansaton model, which is another hearing aid division of Sonova.

The L90 is the Audeo Lumity, which as far as I know has had no issues with its charger units. (for the rechargeable version).

1 Like

I wanted to replace the battery in my Paradise 90-RT after 2.5 years of use when I sent it in for warranty inspection. Despite the fact that I even offered to pay for it, the audi told me that they do not replace on request.

Ah ya, that’s right. Time flies I suppose. That’s pretty crazy that you had to change the batteries after only 2 years. I got 3 out of mine before they were dying by the end of the day and I thought that was pretty short.

1 Like

That’s where you just tell them that they’re dying early and make it a warranty issue

4 Likes

All very clever tech, though I would welcome more insights when it comes to handling of live music.
And… if you happen to be new to highly directional devices, do take care in traffic! Three times I came near to death walking on country roads when
vehicles approached from the rear, totally
unheard. And they were petrol/diesel, not super-quiet electrics.

3 Likes

This is why extreme noise reduction isn’t safe. You can’t block the outside world.
That’s fine inside a noisy bar or restaurant. Not so in train stations and airports, as you’ll miss the announcements.
For this reason, I asked my audiologist to create a Universal program based on the Live Music program (Signia). It allows all sounds in but with the automatic adjustments of universal. If it’s still too loud, I manually change to the noisy environment program.

3 Likes

Live music is the one area I haven’t been able to assess just yet and is super important to me. I did however go out with some friends where music was playing over the speakers and I could actually hear what was playing. That was a first coming from my other HAs. I know Paul Gilbert (guitar player) is wearing these and one of the faces of the HAs. I’ve seen him in a bunch of non HA related interviews and he is wearing these so that gives me hope that they do okay with live music. That said, I think the music thing is more of tweaking the settings than a manufacturer type of issue.