Phonak Audéo Sphere

Just to add.Phonak elevates sound quality with new Infinio portfolio, introducing a paradigm shift with real-time AI for speech clarity in noise in Audéo Sphere Infinio | Sonova International

2 Likes

Wow! I mean, it’s possible to support both Bluetooth Classic and LE Audio. I guess they like to sell their expensive and proprietary Bluetooth accessories…

5 Likes

Yep, they’ll hang on for dear life to these, that’s why there’s no LE Audio, maybe the next platform for them, Roger prices are more then the premium HAs sold at Costco, gotta pay for all this marketing hype some how.

4 Likes

It’s disappointing to not see any auracast/LC3/Bluetooth 5.3 support here, especially considering the immense available processing power and memory specs.

I’m keen to see the official datasheets to confirm what version of Bluetooth Infinio has been launched with to confirm whether there is any future plans to add it.

Although connectivity aside, the age of AI denoising is here! More hearing aid users care about hearing well in noise than what codec their Bluetooth connectivity supports.

5 Likes

They have LE Audio/Auracast, according to Matthew.

But there is an Infinio R, and an Infinio sphere, which has the new AI chip.

Kinda weird and confusing to release two lines of RICs. The sphere must be pricy.

1 Like

Comprehensive Infinio Portfolio

Phonak also introduces a comprehensive portfolio of hearing aids, available to order by hearing care professionals starting August 7. These devices are based on the Next-Gen Infinio platform, featuring:

• Audéo Sphere Infinio: Receiver-In-the-Canal (RIC), unique dual chip technology inside, ERA and DEEPSONIC, the world’s first hearing aid with a dedicated AI chip for enhanced speech clarity in noise.
  • Audéo R Infinio: RIC form factor with ultra-responsive ERA chip inside to deliver exceptional sound quality and industry-leading connectivity.
  • CROS R Infinio: For unaidable hearing loss in one ear, CROS R is used in combination with Phonak Audéo, offering exceptional sound quality and industry-leading connectivity as well as increased battery runtime.
  • Virto R Infinio: Phonak’s first rechargeable custom hearing aid (In-The-Ear/ITE) made to offer exceptional sound quality and connectivity.
1 Like

I missed it, I did try to find it…

Ha seriously, Phonak ARE the most expensive and always have been (well until their bust up with Costco)

3 Likes

Just saw the video. So many many numbers. Like I’ve been bludgeoned to death by an old style phone book.

He does say ready for le audio but does a big selling job on their classic Bluetooth.

4 Likes

I like Matthew’s joke at the beginning of the following video that he’s got to rush to get a video out before Dr. Cliff does! :rofl:

Phonak Audéo Sphere Infinio Feature Review: The Best Hearing Aid of 2024! (youtube.com)

Here’s the point in the video where he says the Sphere Infinio is also Auracast ready (!):

He says at the end of that section, @JordanK, that it will markedly improve battery life!

Apple, for its own sake, should get on the Auracast train at this point. With Phonak on board, I think it will be leaving the station now, and while people switched to iPhones once upon a time for MFi support, HA users might be leaving Apple for Android if Apple doesn’t see fit to come on board with LE Audio, IMHO. My HA insurance premium is not reinstated for almost a year and a half but if Apple doesn’t have LE Audio by then, it’s back to Android for me.

6 Likes

What about disposable batteries? Are there none?

Datasheets: For Professionals - Phonak Audéo Sphere™ Infinio hearing aids | Phonak

1 Like

As someones stated further up in the thread, zinc-air battery chemistry might not be able to provide the power to drive the processors required for real-time DNN computation. Zinc-air batteries have a nominal voltage of 1.65V, Li-ion, 3.7V. In use, the output voltage of each may dip a bit, but that means that for the same amount of current flow, Li-ion batteries are twice as powerful. Although zinc-air batteries have a 2x to 3x higher energy density (power per weight of material), the constraint that their electrolyte must be strongly encapsulated and removable limits what can be stuffed into a HA body whereas Li-ion could be more contoured into available space in the HA body (don’t know if that’s actually done in practice, though).

2 Likes

Well I’m truely shocked that Phonak was able to keep LE Audio a secret for so long ; ) but why for the life of me I can’t find anything from Phonak on Android and LE Audio in the marketing blurb ( it just says 5.3 Bluetooth) can someone please find it, I wonder why only it’s mentioned Auracast ready and not the usual LE Audio “with” Auracast ready, am I reading too much into this.

2 Likes

I’m feeling extra cynical after the green ball blitz, but “ready for LE Audio” could mean “theoretically, if we ever get around to doing it”. It would be nice to see some commitment to do it. A time-frame would also be nice.

And in the number storm, did anyone catch any relating to battery life. All that processing plus Bluetooth classic audio makes me wonder.

4 Likes

Well if they did manage to get both versions, we know that classic is the “hog” of the town, but if they are using LE Audio then that’s a power saving strategy for them, otherwise it’s BLE 5.3.

Phonak also releasing Sphere backpacks, designed to hold the lead acid battery to power your HAs…?

3 Likes

I don’t think Matthew understands the nuance. I say ‘nothing to see here’ until Phonak put something in writing.

2 Likes

Coverage from Karl Strom:

Sorry @flashb1024 I hijacked your top post too to get the news to the top. Thanks for accommodating!

4 Likes

From Karl’s article: “Although Infinio RICs come with a telecoil, the ERA chip is Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) Audio enabled, making it Auracast-ready”.

Auracast doesn’t necessarily follow from Low Energy.

“The hearing aids are said to provide 16 hours of battery life.”

With or without streaming? You really wouldn’t want it to be any less than 16 hours.

1 Like

It is now confirmed that the new hearing aids are Auracast ready. You can see this directly on the Phonak website. Hearing Care Innovations | Phonak

4 Likes

Good catch, updated that line (they are auracast ready)

Don’t think they’ve said yet.

2 Likes