Philips HearLink 9050 to hit Costco soon? With similar tech to Oticon Intent?

Hi Angel,
I am new like you. I have 9040 and just found out that my Costco just got the 9050 in.
I hate the audiologists at my Costco. I’ve having problems with the cones fitting in my ear right.
And I keep telling him they sound tinny. He asked me what that means. I said like I am in a tin box and every voice is bouncing off the tin walls. Not echoing but hollow sounding and scratchy. Like metallic sounding. He told me I have to get use to them. NOT! I am 3 weeks away from my 6 month time.

I asked if I could try the Rextons, he said this is why we are here as we know what is best for you. But I said what you say is best for me stinks.
He said you can return your philips and get the rextons or jabras but if you don’t like those, you can’t go back to philips. That is call manufacturers abuse.
Well maybe he thought he was talking to a dumb broad but not here. I called corporate and they told me no such thing… you can buy what ever you like and return whatever you like as long as it is not abused or over the 180 days. She also told me that every location has loaners and demo pieces of each model we sell. Ask for one.
WELL, if you don’t know cause they don’t tell, how can you ask for something.
So, none of the 2 audiologists will be there all next week. I would try to go there tomorrow but I know he is not going to find time to talk to me. I do have an appt on the Friday the 13th…lol
That is exactly one week before I run out of time. So he is going to make something work on the 13th or I am going to have that warehouse manager front and center AND OR the girl I talked to at corporate on the line. I can not believe I have to go threw this just to buy something and like it.

3 Likes

If you live in a major metropolitan area where there are multiple Costco stores, consider just returning the 9040 at that store and buy the 9050 or one of the other brands like Jabra or Rexton at a different Costco store.

2 Likes

A charger is just one more thing I’d have to haul around when traveling; but I may buy the 9050s anyway. My 5-year-old 9010s still work, but I’d really like to have significantly better speech-in-noise performance.

Return the 9040 and get your money back ASAP, and go to another Costco if possible.

The Philips fitting software has a troubleshooting section. For a tiny complaint, the software says to decrease the gain for the 50, 65, and 80 db SPL for the high frequencies by 2 dB.

The Resound (Jabra) fitting software makes a distinction between female and male voices for a tiny complaint.

For male voices, you reduce the high frequency gain. For female voices with tiny complaint, you increase the low and mid frequencies.

There are probably other adjustments that can be made.

Frankly from your description, the hearing aid fitter doesn’t seem to know how to adjust your hearing aids. Go to another Costco if possible. A different hearing aid fitter may make all the difference.

The downside, is that Costco hearing centers are so busy that they too often don’t spend enough time getting folks hearing aids dialed in.

That being said, I would always recommend going to Costco due to the long trial period, low price, and high quality hearing aids.

1 Like

You don’t want to go back to the 9040’s, but 9050’s is a new ball game.

Thanks for the response. I guess we will have to wait and watch!

Agreed. I can’t mail down if Auracast LE is activated.

I am walking around the store in 9050s. First appointment of the day and they had them all ready for me. A nice surprise.

20 minutes later…

These are better. I could easily hear folks talking despite the loud air handler noises from above.

Doing it. They’re ordering for me. Coming back next week for the fitting and to return the 9040s.

11 Likes

If anyone can report how the 9050s compare to the Rexton Reach ones?
I’ve go the Reach, like them but the tinny music sound and that you can’t adjust much yourself with the app.
Curious if the Philips would be better?
Thanks

1 Like

You need to go DIY project if you want to improve this, the app is very limited compared to the Connexx software.

I’m also curious about this. Reach vs 9050.

One more reason to choose Rexton over Philips.

1 Like

How? Is there a tutorial how to tinker with it?

Yes of course, there’s plenty of useful information/guides available. Head on over to the DIY forum.

2 Likes

Why do you say that?

Because it’s easier to DIY.

Easy to DIY the Philips as well. :woman_shrugging:

Isn’t the Philips software more limited than Connexx?

By easy, I also meant access to more customization.

@pmc1978

@tenkan is talking about the App on a cell phone and not to do with the software.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that more customization makes it easier to use or even better. There might be some benefit for a musician.

However, I wouldn’t put down the Philips software as being not good. Philips hearing aids and it’s program just use AI to accomplish a lot of things.