Philips HearLink 9050 to hit Costco soon? With similar tech to Oticon Intent?

I see, thanks for the clarification!

I mixed up the Philips mobile app with the Philips fitting software.
Apparently, the Philips mobile app is more limited than the Rexton mobile app.

Skywatcher, just a suggestion:

This topic was opened up months ago, largely to discuss when the 9050s will become available. Now that are here, we need someone to create a topic to discuss their performance vs the 9040s. Would you mind doing that? I think many of us will be very interested in user experiences.

Thom

2 Likes

Outside of the directional adjustment feature in the Rexton app, they two apps seem to have similar features.

If these AI hearing aids are doing their job, the directional adjustment shouldnā€™t be needed.

Anyhow, it doesnā€™t matter to me which hearing aid one prefers. I was just curious as to why you think the Rexton hearing aids have a better app or programming software.

1 Like

Honestly, there isnā€™t a specific reason why I prefer Rexton. I guess Iā€™m biased because Iā€™ve used Siemens/Signia for 40+ years.

This will be my first DIY project, and Iā€™m guided by comments from my audiologist and the members of this forum.

How often do you use the directional feature on the app?

I tried and my new thread was moved to here. I then messaged original poster to at least change the title. No response.

And itā€™s gone off topic as well.

The Hearing Center web page for my local Costco, where I got my 9040s, still has only 9040s shown.

Iā€™m happy with the 9040s except that:
(1) I have to use the iPhone app to mute the mics ā€“ which I do once daily to listen to iPhone audio while using a StairMaster exercise machine ā€“ which I could accept were it not that about 1/3 of the time one or both aids are disconnected and I have to restart the app; or theyā€™re both connected but only one of them mutes, and I have to restart the app.
(2) A few times a week one of the aids spontaneously reboots.

I wonder if the 9050 avoids these problems. Regardless, having only one button per ear has to make some routine changes more difficult or time-consuming.

1 Like

I have read here on the forum the9050ā€™s have rock solid Bluetooth. Not sure who or which thread.
It is one of the Things Philips has advertised too.

The Rexton Reach are rock solid with iPhones Bluetooth and you can adjust much more than the direction with the mobile app. You can adjust how your voice sounds and how other people sound and save the adjustments. Check out the video in the hearing club YouTube page about the Rexton mobile app.

1 Like

Im surprise at your comment. There are some very fundamental differences in the signal processing between Oticon / Phillips, bernafon and Sonic. For starters some of it core technologies like speech guard, directionality, etc are implemented differently. For example - correct me- the DECS adapts to the settings based on the environment. The older bernafon is still channel free, and their sound is very different. Ofcourse, the impulse noise , handling and wind reduction is the same as well as Tinitus sound support.

Compare to other groups such as resound, their products across different brands are more distinct.
I know places where they sell both brands and have their customers try Phillips and Oticon where the vast majority report they do sound different

As per your Phillips comment, itā€™s sold through distributors- give you an example in Brazil it sold through dispensers (not direct to consumer) which have shops that are branded Phillips.

The dispensers I have meet that sells Phillips are not having the success of Costco, an in fact have somewhat harder time.

For $1,500 a pair if Phillips is more than a fair deal.

3 Likes

thatā€™s not a surprise, make sure to post a review. How much did you paid?

I agree Thom. You have to wade through a lot of extraneous ā€˜stuffā€™ (like whether the 9050 is the same as the intent). All I want to know is how does the 9050 work. Does bluetooth work well compared to the 9040, etc. I really donā€™t care if the two are the same. Sorry for the rant.

4 Likes

I have not seen a discussion in any thread (although I could have missed it) of the Bluetooth performance with Android on the 9050. Can anyone who has tried or purchased the 9050ā€™s and has an Android phone post how well it works? Any drop-outs? Does it support hands-free phone calls? Auracast included or, like the Rexton Reach, is it a ā€œfuture upgradeā€ that may or may not ever happen?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more!

Since itā€™s been on the market here for less than 2 weeks, I doubt anyone has enough experience to report on these aspects of the 9050s. I look forward to reading the reports when people gain enough experience to know how the 9050s work over a longer period .

I agree, but given the issues with other newer HAā€™s with Bluetooth on Android (the Jabraā€™s come to mind), I was hoping that would be one of the first things people who have them tried. I donā€™t think it takes long to determine whether the HAā€™s work with your phone.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the 9040s for about 1.5 years and they do quite well. I would like to hear better in noisy places. Just scheduled my appointment for the 9050s (about 3 wks out). They said if I wanted silver or one other color they would have them in stock, so I scheduled both my test and fitting in one day!
Iā€™ll let you know how they compare to the 9040s.

2 Likes

Have only had the 9050s for a few hours so canā€™t answer most of those yet. On my pixel 9 pro xl running the android 15 beta I see no signs of le audio. I previously had the intent and also the nexia and both showed le audio. This looks like the reach did (no le audio).
Granted all of those were while using a pixel 8 pro with android 14 so it is possible display has changed and I just am not recognizing it. But from what I can tell it looks like no le audio on the 9050s as of now.

1 Like

I donā€™t have the 9050s yet although Iā€™m getting them at my next Costco appointment. I have a Pixel 8 and hereā€™s how to find LE Audio on my phone. Donā€™t know if a similar procedure is available on Pixel 9.

Go to Settings->About phone, scroll all the way down and tap the Build number 7 times. After entering your screen lock, developer options will be enabled.

You can then access them from Settings->System->Developer options.

3 Likes