Oticon Opn S 1 hearing aids restarting when used with iPhone 12 Pro

I know my Audiologist said the More aids with the new chip has a different battery than the OPNS1 aids, but uses the same charger, with what seems to be the same firmware.

Really??? I donā€™t know enough about batteries to comment, really, but the performance differential of Polaris vs VeloxS would certainly (IMHO) impact current draw.

1 Like

Jim I am at 70% battery life left for today with 11 hours of use. 1.5 hours f streaming audiobooks too.
With the More aids I wonder how much battery life I would have.

Iā€™m at 13h15min with about the same amount of streaming, and Iā€™m showing 46% in the app, Chuck.

1 Like

Definitely more battery drain with the More aids

[The arithmetic says that my More1s should have a 24 hour ceiling, whereas your OpnS1s would top that with a 36 hour capacity. Does that sound right?]

I have seen my batteries at 20% at one point, I had 22 hours of use and 3 hours of streaming.

Hmmm ā€¦ then Iā€™d be expecting your app to be showing 47% charge left after 11 hours of use, not 70%. Are you sure the appā€™s correct?

[Maybe Iā€™m confused. My 13h15min was including 1.5 hours of streaming. Is your streaming included in the 11 hours, or in addition to?]

It has been so far. But my fitting was boosted in March to give me more output. And that day was back last year. And I mute the mics when streaming.

Update: I went to audiologist the other dayā€¦ there were 3 phones showing connected to TV box in her softwareā€¦ she deleted all three and I came home and re-paired iPhone 12 Pro to the TV boxā€¦ sadly, the issue of one or the other hearing aid restarting randomly still continuesā€¦ most of the time it is when I am connected to TV box but also when I am not connected to it. This morning the left aid restarted after I only had the aids off the charger for a couple of minutesā€¦ and app is still very slow to reconnect to aids ā€¦ one example: when Iā€™m connected to the TV box, if I mute the sound (in the app), when I unmute - the aids will then disconnect from the app and it usually takes at least 5 minutes to reconnect ā€¦ itā€™s very annoying and frustratingā€¦ Iā€™m going out of town for about a week so it will be interesting to see if they restart at all since I wonā€™t have TV box with meā€¦ and when I get back, I already told the audiologist I might want her to send the aids to Oticon to be checked outā€¦

Update: Still having the issue with aids restarting (usually while connected to TV box, but sometimes when they are not) ā€¦ although, while on vacation last week - I had NO problems - no restarting,etc ā€¦ now, back home and itā€™s starting again -ā€¦ and after the aid restarts, it takes several minutes to get reconnected to the appā€¦ I have done all the shutting down, re-pairing, removing the app, adding the app, shutting down iphone,etc ā€¦ I talked with Apple and they pointed to Oticonā€¦ guess Iā€™ll ask audiologist to send the aids away for a check, and see if maybe she has More1 I can try outā€¦ Itā€™s got to be something with iphone 12 Pro since thatā€™s the ONLY new piece of hardware I have, but Apple was no helpā€¦ I have 14.6 iOS ā€¦

1 Like

My apologies if already asked and answered, but are the Oticon aids MFi certified?

Yes Oticon aids have always been MFI aids, but the new Oticon More aids will also work with a small number of Android 10 phones.

I just checked - the Apple MFi hearing aid list includes the More, Opn S, Opn, and others:

Made for iPhone compatible hearing devices

Seems to me the newer versions of the Oticon ON app have a few more features but are less reliable and slower to connect with newer and faster iPhones. I have an iPhone 12 mini with iOS 14.6 (recent update). An old iPhone 6 with an older version of the ON app seemed to work better for me than the new combo but the old phone battery was shot and the most recent iOS for the 6 wouldnā€™t run the newer versions of ON and some other apps so I ā€œupgradedā€ :roll_eyes:

Thanksā€¦ I could probably live without the app ā€“ itā€™s the aids shutting down/restarting that are driving me nuts ā€¦ but it didnā€™t happen last week when I was away from home (and TV boxā€¦) ā€¦ guess Iā€™ll probably try not using the TV box for a couple of days, although I wonā€™t be able to hear the TV :frowning:

What happens if you just turn Bluetooth off on your phone? Do you still get those problems? Or are you needing to make adjustments via the phone during the day? (No streaming phone calls but a quick error check)

One thing obviously different when you were on vacation is that you didnā€™t use the wifi router at home. I think you said you switched to 5 GHz and it seems to have helped. But it didnā€™t solve the random reboot issue altogether? If not, thereā€™s a possibility that your router is generating some kind of interference (maybe with or without the TV Adapter) that causes the OPN S1 to reboot.

The issue you have with connecting to the ON app on your new iPhone is a different issue (connection issue) so if you had the new iPhone with you on vacation and it didnā€™t reboot then it just established that itā€™s a different issue and not inter-related.

The other factor is the TV Adapter 3.0 which you didnā€™t have with you on vacation. You did say that you had experienced reboot when or when not using the TV Adapter before. But one difference is that when youā€™re at home at didnā€™t use the TV Adapter and still had reboots, maybe the TV Adapter was connected to power and maybe even turned on, even if you didnā€™t put your OPN S1 in the TV Program mode. So one thing to try is to make sure the TV Adapter is removed from power when youā€™re not using it.

Thanksā€¦ the only problems are: 1) I didnā€™t have any of these issues when I had previous iPhone X - Iā€™ve had the same TV box same Wifi router, same TV ,etcā€¦ 2) problem only started with new iPhone 12 Pro ā€¦ seems to me itā€™s something with the combination of the new Iphone 12 Pro and TV box , and the appā€¦

One new difference on the iPhone 12 is that it is 5G capable. I wonder if this causes some kind of interference or not. If itā€™s possible to disable the 5G capability on your iPhone 12 to just use 4G or LTE like before, then that would be worth a try.

I did try using the non-5g and it didnā€™t really helpā€¦ not sure how to ā€œdisableā€ it?