Oticon Opn S 1 hearing aids restarting when used with iPhone 12 Pro

Just upgraded to iPhone 12 Pro (from iPhone X) today and having issues - one of the aids ( usually left one but right one has done it a couple of times) restarts about every 15 minutes or so. Also aids having trouble connecting to the app. I’ve tried all the usual steps (remove/ re-add the app, restart phone, repair aids to the phone etc). Any ideas? The aids are less than 2 years old ( Aug 2019). TIA

Did you check to make sure you have the latest firmware on your OPN S? The ON app can tell you what firmware the OPN S is on. If not on the latest firmware, go have your audi do a firmware update for you.

It’s possible that the newer IOS on the iPhone 12 Pro requires the latest OPN S firmware. Maybe your iPhone X was OK with the current OPN S firmware but the iPhone 12 Pro is not.

1 Like

I second Volusiano’s suggestion about the firmware.

I just got a replacement (new serial number) OPN S 1 aid a couple of weeks ago. It shows a firmware version of 8.0 when selecting the aid in the ON App Hearing Aids section. If you have something older, I suggest having your provider update it (my OPN S 1 aids first had version 7 which was updated by my provider to 8 after the month you got yours).

I’d also make sure iOS is reasonably up to date - 14.5.1 seems to mostly work on my 12 mini with my OPN S 1 aids and my older (now spare) OPN 1 aids. I don’t get restarts with either set of aids but I don’t have a 12 Pro. The replaced OPN S1 was shutting down (it would restart by opening and closing the battery door) and rebooted intermittently when streaming from a TV Adapter 3.0. The replacement aid that came from Oticon with verison 8.0 works fine so far.

Thanks… I do have 8.0 firmware… I’ll check with audiologist but think that’s the latest for OPN S?

Thanks… firmware is 8.0 … my old phone (X) worked fine with iOS 14.5.1 … I am getting the same shutting down/restarting - about every 15 minutes for so … mostly the left aid, but sometimes the right one… it does seem to be when I’m streaming from TV adapter … it’s already happened once this morning with hearing aids fully charged … I guess I’ll try to contact Apple about it… I would hate to have to go back to my old phone (I traded it in so don’t have it anyway) … wonder if it’s a quirk with the “pro” ?

I have the OPNS1 with the 8.0 firmware with the iPhone SE2020 and I am not having any hearing aids shutdowns, but I do have issues with the ON app dropping connections, but the iPhone itself doesn’t drop the connection with the hearing aids. I keep my iPhone and iPad and Apple Watch fully updated with the latest updates. The iPhone 12 phones have new technologies that I believe haven’t been fully vetted, and the MFI issues have something to do with either the MegSafe or the 5g technology. And let’s face it Oticon hasn’t gotten the ON app figured out yet.

1 Like

Thanks… the hearing aids restarting is really a head-scratcher for me… can’t figure that out? When they restart , sometimes it takes several minutes for it to reconnect to the iPhone as well…

Thanks… my aids are only about 1 1/2 years old (August 2019) … I guess I’ll contact audiologist … maybe I can get some replacements … good to hear that replacement fixed issue for me… how old were your OPN S1s when they sent a replacement?

Suggestion, disable the Wifi, and cellular connection on the iPhone and see if you have the reboot or shutdown. If not enable the WiFi with out cellular to see if it happens, if not try the cellular without WiFi.
This is just a troubleshooting procedure I would try.

1 Like

I first got the Opn S 1 aids on 22 August 2019. I got the single replacement aid (right side) on 27 April 2021 as it was shutting down on its own and restarting for no apparent reason when streaming. The replacement has worked as expected as has the original left aid.

Thanks… I have an email in to the audiologist …

I would second this suggestion as well. I recall there was a thread where somebody was having streaming issues (blanked out or dropped connection or reboot, I can’t remember which) with the Oticon OPN (or maybe the More? I can’t recall) when connected to a slow wifi network (in the tens of Mbps). But when that person switched to a verified faster wifi network (in the 100 Mbps range), they still had issues. I asked them if they were on the 2.4 GHz wifi and if yes, try to switch to the 5 GHz wifi connection. They did that (moved from 2.4 to 5 GHz connection) and it seemed to solve the problem for them.

The MFI streaming between the iPhone and the Oticon OPN is at 2.4 GHz range, so there is possibly interference with the 2.4 GHz MFI signals if you use the 2.4 GHz wifi connection. Not saying that it’s YOUR issue, but it’s a valid troubleshooting step to take.

1 Like

Thanks… I switched to 5Ghz wifi and it seems to have helped… still really fussy in connecting in the app (particularly switching to TV box program) … Apple is supposed to call me today in a few hours… I’ll be interested to see what they say …

1 Like

Losing connection to the app when using the TV adapter is a problem I have also

Thanks… pretty frustrating since I have to turn down the volume and it takes several minutes before I’m connected in the app … never happened with the iphone X …

I believe it is an issue with the app, not the iPhone, or seeing it only happens for me after the battery level drops to below 70% could be to some kind of a battery savings for the aids

Sorry, Chuck … I don’t get how you arrived at that conclusion. Can you walk me through it please? (IMO, 70% is a pretty full charge … shouldn’t be much of a voltage drop there.)

I never had that before with iphone X … who knows…

With at least my OPNS1 aids I don’t have any issues with the connection with the app until my aids battery level goes below 70%. At just below 70% the app will not stay connected to the aids while using the TV adapter. Below 45% battery level of the aids battery the aids will not connect to the app without rebooting the aids and cycling the Bluetooth on the iPhone and not being connected to the tv adapter. But it they will connect to the Tv adapter if they are not connected to the iPhone. I have noted this to my Audiologist and he has forwarded the information to Oticon. I haven’t heard anything yet. My batteries were checked for life left in March and was still shown 100%.

@cvkemp: Thanks for your explanation - I understand your logic now.

Perhaps this phenomenon, if it is related to the charge remaining, is a pretty good indication of why certain advanced platforms like VeloxS and Polaris are issued as rechargeables.

[I’m assuming you’re going to keep us posted on Oticon’s reply?]

1 Like