Oticon ON App not updating HearingFitness usage data

My Bluetooth connection to my iPhone is highly unstable while I’m using my ConnectClip as a remote mike. Seems like the phone can’t decide whether to connect to ConnectClip or to my HAs. Whenever this occurs,it cuts off the connection to my ON app and buggers up my usage data for the day.

[The Bluetooth connection to the ON app also seems unstable, even when ConnectClip is turned off and just sitting in my pocket. I suspect that KingMusk or Boy SugarTown have infiltrated Oticon’s chip foundry, and made it so ConnectClip streams your personal audiostream to their CyberBunkers in Finland 24/7, whether the device’s LEDs show on or off! Really!!]

I use the connect clip to stream from my MacBook, and my iPad. I don’t even have the connect clip paired to my iPhone anymore. And I gave up on having my aids paired to my iPad.

1 Like

Why aren’t you pairing the ConnectClip to your iPhone anymore, Chuck?

I don’t need hands free except when driving and I have my iPhone paired to the Jeep, control system so while driving all calls go the the sound system in the Jeep. But if the connect clip is paired and connected to the iPhone then I get a pissing contest between the Jeep connection and the connect clip, and I am the loser because i can’t get my calls at all.

1 Like

I’m frustrated! The ON app is disconnecting from the internet and from my HAs at seemingly random intervals. It’s lost 3 hours of usage data this morning. At this point in my journey with Oticon More devices, I’m wearing them for 16-18 hours per day, so the loss of my global stats isn’t so bad.

What I have lost is the time I’ve spent in each of my listening modes, with specific focus on VAC+ vs DSL v5.0 usage. Another consequence of the disconnect issue seems to be the stability of the BT streaming connection. When I’m using ConnectClip as a hands-free mic for phone calls, sometimes I only get audio on one side. At other times, people on the other end of the call say they can’t hear me.

When I’m experiencing these issues, I usually just reboot the app and - if necessary - re-pair the side where the HA has lost its connection. On one occasion, the app codec seemed corrupted, so I deleted the whole shebang and rebuilt the feature.

I’m more curious than anything … are other Oticonians experience similar problems? What have you found to be the best fix to minimize the dropouts?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Yes there are times the data isn’t update for a while. But at least for me it has been catching up after the fact and all data isn’t lost. All servers must be maintained and updated, and I am hoping that is what is happening when the hearing fitness isn’t updating live.

1 Like

@cvkemp: Chuck, I have noticed the same as you - the app seems to “catch up” - but that hasn’t happened yet today.

[BTW, I’ve implemented your previous suggestions for iPhone settings, etc., and I’m not experiencing as many problems as before.]

[I still get irritated with Oticon for releasing an app that is so rudimentary but yet has so many bugs and glitches. It’s like the whole “app thing” was an afterthought for them. For the $$$ they charge, and their access to technology, the ON app is pretty anemic, IMO.]

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you that I too believe that the app could be so much better. You need to do what so many do and leave your review in the app store about the app. I update my review quite often. They do respond at times. I am not sure but I believe the app is farmed out to a contact company and they don’t understand hearing loss needs. If not then Oticon is keep a very tight control over what adjustments we can do. I would love some settings that I could do that then could be incorporated into the hearing aids as part of my programs. I have told my Audiologist that and he agrees that I have the knowledge to do so but most of his patients have no clue to what to do or even to change volume or understand different programs. I have dealt with a number that way some came around and most didn’t want to be bothered. I have sent a number to this forum that have come around to understand.

1 Like

Thanks for the review suggestion, Chuck. I’ll do one in the next couple of days.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@cvkemp: I’ve submitted my review, Chuck, but can’t find it posted anywhere. Looks like the developer has quit responding to negative reviews.

I wish Oticon had done their work in-house!

The crappy ON app has screwed up my daily data again!

[ I keep posting here in the hopes that someone connected with Oticon will pick up on the frustration and displeasure their lousy app is causing.]

Mine has been better lately since I rebooted my iPhone

I’ve rebooted mine. At least when the Hearing Fitness feature eventually comes back on, it retrieves my usage data pretty accurately. When it craps out, however, I can never tell how long it will be before the feature comes back online.

1 Like

I really think it is due to having some of the servers down for maintenance. It seems to happen to me only on the weekends. All of the servers have to have maintenance to do updates, and repairs. Even when the servers are in the cloud the master servers have to have maintenance.

That makes sense, Chuck. I never thought of that. Thanks.

Here’s a question for the app gurus:

If I delete the ON app from my iPhone SE2, will I still be able to use my ConnectClip and EduMic?

[I’m out of patience with the disconnect problem!]

Yes of course you can use the connect clip, it works like a remote control, a remote mic, and for hands free phones. If you need to adjust the TV adapter volume I am not sure how that works. I also use the Bluetooth connectivity of the connect clip for my MacBook and iPad. I no longer pair my aids directly to my iPad due to the issues that multiple connections with IOS devices and MFI devices causes my aids to go nuts at times.

I can do this EVEN IF I DELETE THE APP? (I just wanna be somewhat sure before I go ahead and scrub it. Sorry to be so thick about the tech stuff, Chuck.:unamused:)

So - should I unpair my aids from my iPhone or delete the app? When I unpaired them this morning, the app stopped working, which is the reason why I’m asking about getting rid of it.

Yes you can, but I still find the app useful but sometimes irritating.

To test, kill the app (and all others) and then power off the phone. Start the phone and you should be able to control the aids and select programs using the MFI menus (triple click the home button to bring MFI up - I think that should work for an SE but I don’t know that). Figure out what does/doesn’t work without the ON app loaded. I expect you can do most things without the ON app.

You can also just delete the app, test, and then reinstall it if you find you need it.

If you want phone calls to go directly to the aids and such, you need to have the aids paired with the phone. That also allows you to control the aids using the MFI menus.

I suggest you leave the phone and aids paired and test without the app running (or delete it).

2 Likes