I the last weeks I read as much as possible about hearing aids and users’ experience of them, here on the forum hearing tracker, on Reddit, on YouTube videos comments, and blogs.
I concluded what Oticon More and Phonak P90 are the better hearings aids on the market right now(2021/11), and both will be good for me. (you can see my audiogram in my avatar profile)
- My experience with Oticon OPN S2
I have the possibility just to test psychically just one hearing aid, which is Oticon OPN S2.
I was very pleased with the sound quality, very soft, pleasant, natural sound.
Didn’t observe a very big increase in loudness, it’s was like my natural hearing level, but I started to hear cars from outside, the sirenes, the computer fans near me, which don’t was disturbing at all.
I am just was aware of it.
In meantime, I was listening to a podcast on my phone speaker.
Before connecting the HA, I heard the voice of the guy talking, but I don’t understand what he is saying.(only 5-10%)
When I connected the HA, I instantly started to understand what he is saying, all 99% of words.
This test was with Oticon OPN S2.
So the Oticon More1 will have to be just as good, maybe even a little better.
Now, I did for myself a little comparison for Oticon More1 vs Phonak P90 (unfortunately I don’t have the possibility to test one psychically)
| This is my 2 cents: |
#Oticon More 1
- Rechargeable batteries can be changed easy and fast
- Open sound paradigm(it’s built for hearing better in 360 degrees, you don’t have any limits, no problem if someone is talking to you from behind or you drive a car and have a conversation with your child in the backseat)
- Sound is very pleasant and natural(you forget what you have HA connected)
- Compatible directly for streaming with Android (ASHA) and iPhone, also you can use the iPhone microphone for speaking in a difficult situation.
- IFTTT is a cool gimmick feature.(it allows you to automate some things, like change a program by your geolocation or to hear a voice that is saying what is raining outside)
- bluetooth is not compatible directly with laptops or other non-smartphone devices
- fewer settings in Oticon ON app regarding tunning sound
#Phonak Paradise P90
- All Bluetooth (>5.0) devices compatible
- Better noise cancelation
- Useful manual options in myPhonak app like speech enhancer, noise removal, equalizer
- You have more manual control of sounds around you (for example if want to turn off all disturbing noise and hear only the voice of your child(which would be better if it sit in front of you), you can do this, if you want to hear everything, including your neighbors arguing, you can do this)
- Tap Control - a gimmick feature, allow you to send commands to your voice assistant(Google, Alexa), hands-free calling (useful in no noise situation)
- sound seems not so pleasant and natural like Oticon (based on users reviews)
- is designed to work in beam directionality, so you can hear more from the front, and less from behind, which sometimes, on rare occasions is not good, I see this as a limitation
- rechargeable battery is hard to change, it needs to be sent to Phonak center
Now, I need your help to improve this comparison - PROS and CONS
Please let in comments your opinions, your trials, and your experience with these HA.
I will update the topic accordingly.
Let’s create here a good decision guide for people who don’t have the possibility to test the HA locally, but want to buy/order one from distance.