Oticon MORE firmware 1.4.0 - BT issues with iOS 16

I guess the dang thing is bricked. Any idea about why? Walking away with hearing aids in your ears? Starting the firmware update with low batteries? Wireless interference?

Having been in the DIY lifestyle for nearly 20 years and have done many firmware updates I try hard to not be in a hurry.
Batteries were @ 85%
I was sitting in my chair with laptop on my lap and watched closely as the system progressed along with the update. I have a sneaking suspicion that the aids were connected to my phone via Bluetooth and an alert was recieved while the right aid was trying to updatešŸ¤” thus causing a tiny hiccup that screwed meā€¦just a hunch!!!
Thankfully the gentlemen I bought them from will be helping to get the issue resolved! Thank God for food backup aidsšŸ‘

5 Likes

I have More 1 aids and an iPhone 12 mini with 16.1.1. I went in to my audiologist to have the aid firmware updated from 1.4.0 yesterday. The tech who did the work had me do the following with my phone:

Kill the ON app
Forget the aids in settings - accessibility - hearing devices
Turn off bluetooth
Turn on airplane mode

Then she asked for the aids, put them in a charger for a short time and pulled them out to reboot them. Then she set them down on the desk about 12" from the Noahlink wireless device and connected to the aids. She ran the instrument updater - the progress bars seemed to go along at the same rate for both aids until they finished. She checked that the programming matched what was in Genie and then disconnected and put the aids back in the charger and pulled them out. Then reconnected to Genie, checked things again, and disconnected. She then handed me the aids and had me turn off airplane mode, turn on bluetooth, pair the aids, start the ON app, and check that both aids showed the firmware at 1.4.1. She asked if the programs that normally showed up in ON and the MFI menu were there and as they were, she considered the process finished.

My updated aids worked fine after that and so far I havenā€™t had the disconnect issues I had with 1.4.0. Streaming from my TV Adapter 3 worked without issues with the ON app either connected or not running.

I donā€™t have enough experience with aids to hazard even a guess as to why @alpine1 had an issue but I have had issues with firmware updates of a variety of computer and instrumentation gear over the years. The more complex (and expensive) equipment seems to have enough space to hold two (or more) firmware images and facilities for switching from one to another. That would seem to be a rational choice for devices as expensive as hearing aids but Iā€™m not a hardware expert ā€¦

6 Likes

I had my Own1ā€™s updated at the audiologist. He asked me to turn off my phone bluetooth, but the update was performed with the aids in my ears, a few feet away from the Noahlink Wireless. I may have had to reboot my aids first by opening and closing the battery door, but I donā€™t recall doing that for certain.

2 Likes

I believe you would have had to to put the aids in pair mode.

From Genie2/Help/Help on Genie2/Instrument Updater;

2 Likes

Yeah I would say my audiologist is a tad weak on the fundamentals.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always worn mine for firmware updates. Thatā€™s why I figure an alert that was recieved bricked the one that was currently updatingā€¦ Lesson learned!!

I donā€™t think you did anything wrong. My Audiologist absolutely
advised against updating to 1.4.0 - describing the exact problem you encountered, corrupting one or both hearing aids while updating. Audi had it happen at least a few times.
If the firmware update to 1.4.1, first requires update to 1.4.0 ā€“ it could still corrupt the aids, in my opinion. A recent visit after 1.4.1 was available, I was still advised not to update yet.

2 Likes

My More 1 were updated to 1.4.1 10 days ago and have been rock solid. I was not wearing them when my audiologist did the update which is how the updates are always done. Donā€™t know why you would be advised to not update to 1.4.1.

3 Likes

Your AuD must first update Genie to the latest version, then it will update the More firmware to 1.4.1.

Mike

2 Likes

After updating to 1.4.1 the buttons will no longer end a phone call.
Anyone else try ending a call with the buttons??
All the connectivity issues seem to be resolved finally.

Mike

Update
My bad, wasnā€™t holding the button long enough.
Everything seems ok for now.

1 Like

I believe your audiologist can set the controls in the Gene2 software then program the aids with those settings.

1 Like

Speaking of FW updates, my Noahlink Wireless has started popping up a message when Genie2 starts up. I got a screenshot but canā€™t seem to attach it. It says ā€œA firmware update is available for the connected programming device(s). Do you want to update now?ā€ Clicking OK brings up the option to search and select (the item found is the Noahlink) but selecting and clicking OK does nothing except the notice disappears. Iā€™m puzzled. It works just fine.

1 Like

If itā€™s working fine then just leave it, nothing worse then updating just for the sake of it. Only update if you have to, youā€™ll most likely be forced into it at sometime in the future, to use latest version of Genie or HA models.

1 Like

Searching you can find the firmware update info at the following URL: Noahlink Wireless Downloads

I have the latest Genie 2 and my Noahlink wireless has a slightly older firmware (2.23). Iā€™m running under Windows 10 - I donā€™t get a popup message. My aids are More 1 with the 1.4.1 firmware update and they now work well. The firmware update program for the Noahlink will report the firmware version in your device when it is plugged in and you can then bail out without updating if you wish. Earlier this year I updated mine to 2.23 without issues. I assume that the newer update (2.24) would install OK but firmware updates can brick a device if something fails or the device disconnects or you have a power failure without a working UPS or a number of other scenarios :frowning:

Note the following comment from the above URL:

• Updated versions of the Noahlink Wireless firmware are posted on the HIMSA website when released to HIMSA Member Companies. It is not necessary to update the firmware in the Noahlink Wireless to latest version until the fitting module you work with requires it. At that time the fitting module may prompt for the Noahlink Wireless to be updated, or the company will notify you it is time to upgrade.
2 Likes

Thanks, biggar. I discovered one more step I needed to take. It upgraded from 2.19 to 2.23 without any problem.

iPhone 13ā€¦ Update to iOS16.1.2 and had issues with firmware 1.3.0
Phone (hand-free) connection with More 1 is not smooth. Problem connecting to phone. Sometimes it is connected and sometimes it does not. The phone battery drains fast. something is not right.

I have iPhone 13 with the latest IOS16 update with More1 aids with 1.3.0 firmware and I am having no issues, then I donā€™t use the so called hands free. Maybe I will try it after I get my aids updated to 1.4.1

1 Like

Running iOS 16.1.2 on iPhone 13 Pro Max wearing More 1 with Firmware 1.4.1 and no issues. They have been just fine.

2 Likes