Oticon MORE firmware 1.4.0 - BT issues with iOS 16

Dear John,

I am Alessandra and I will take over your conversation with Kristian as he is not available at the moment. We have had some similar reports from other users on firmware 1.4.0.

We have identified the root cause of these streaming dropouts / disconnections and have a fix under way – we are working on finalizing a new firmware update, and we will let you know as soon as it is available.

At the moment, if you loose connection or streaming to one or both hearing aids, the way to get it back is to restart the affected hearing aid. You can restart your hearing aid by holding the the ‘down’ button on your hearing aid for 3 seconds, wait for it to turn off, and then hold the same button again for 3 seconds to turn it on again.

The disconnections can reoccur if your hearing aids and phone are out of Bluetooth range and come back into range again. If it does, you will need to restart the hearing aid again to reestablish the connection and streaming.

Thank you for your patience, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Alessandra

Oticon

2 Likes

Yep I was told that by the VA Oticon rep almost a month ago. I still have 1.3.0 with my More1 aids. And will not update until the fix is available

1 Like

To be honest, I am disappointed with Oticon… this really should not take a couple months to fix… I rely on dependable iPhone call streaming, and since going to 1.4.0 I had no other option but to go back to my old OPN’s while Oticon delays pushing out the fix…

John

2 Likes

I disagree, if Oticon rushed the fix then the aids could be in worse shape than before the fix. As someone that has been around electronics and software my adult life. I haven’t updated to 1.4.0 and thankfully due to the VA contracts wouldn’t be updating until the VA is happy with the fix. So no you don’t want a rushed repair or software fix, that could mean even worse damage to the aids.
What upsets me is that there isn’t more open communication between Apple and Google with the hearing aid companies. So that we don’t have these failures every time we have major updates to the phones and aids.
That is why I feel that hearing aid companies should stick with improving the basic functionality of their aids and not forgetting the basics for connectivity.

4 Likes

All of this gives me the sense of “smoke-filled back rooms” determining what you will get and when. And little sense of “Gee, we stumbled, and we are sorry…”

WH

4 Likes

When it comes to connectivity there are way too many hands in the mix. All it takes is one little bit of code that is unseen, and not detected until the perfect storm happens, then it is all hell to be paid. That is what I did a lot of, reading developers code to find the problems and errors that they couldn’t see because of their ownership of the code. All it takes is a period or comma in the wrong place or missing. And in this connectivity there are multiple sources of code that has to communicate with each other flawlessly. The odds are poor that it happens flawlessly.

3 Likes

If I were working there, I would be poking to be sure they were using automated scanning of the code and automated testing both simulated and and instrumented real HW in the lab. The issues you guys face would absolutely be beat to death before the next release. Our teams release code on an avg of once an hour. It has to have met an extensive array of tests, and then get a smoke test in a staging platform by folks who know how it ought to be used in production. And we still get out both regular releases of planned work and bugfix patches. But code that helps guys and gals come home is pretty important to our teams. We’re focused. I hope they are using best practices wherever it is they are cutting that code.

WH

2 Likes

I know it must be better know but what I saw of the computer scanners was a joke at best.

Rumor is that 1.4.1 is out… anyone confirm?

John

From what I have read on Facebook it is out and available in Gene2

I just updated. It’s not a rumor.

4 Likes

It’s a 2 step process. It serves up 1.4.0 first then 1.4.1 is shown.

3 Likes

Ooh, can anyone confirm whether 1.4.1 solves the BT disconnect problem with iOS?

I had 1.3.0 on my Oticon Mores and iOS 15.7 and was very happy. Then my audiologist upgraded me to 1.4.0 and it’s been a nightmare ever since. The audi said it’s an iOS problem and nothing to do with the Oticon upgrade, I updated to iOS 16.1 but no better. Hoping this new Oticon update will fix the problem!

1 Like

I have firmware 1.4.1 now for about 6 hours no bt drops yet . :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

It seems to work exactly as 1.3.0 did. No issues at all for me so far.

4 Likes

Oticon are touting this release as the solution to the dropout issue for the Polaris chipset.

We’ve been advised to upgrade all current product now.

8 Likes

Just updated to 1.4.1. Only one day of use but so far so good.

5 Likes

It’s working like a charm again. Thanks Oticon.

4 Likes

Firmware 1.4.1 - the Audi update it for you or it is automatic (over the air via wifi?). Mine is still Firmware 1.3.0

You will have to have your audiologist do the updates. It is a two step process first to 1.4.0 then 1.4.1. Not sure why they went completely that way, but suspect it was the best way with so many already updated to1.4.0

1 Like