Oticon More adds disposable battery model and MyMusic program

You’re surely correct that some people have “tin ears”, and will never hear music like, say, I do. That’s a given.

But my stubbornly-held contention [SpudGunner? Stubborn? Say WHAT?] is that the (glaring?) deficiencies in the MyMusic program aren’t due to perceptual differences in the non-tin-ear population, nor did Oticon make that program “suck” for the rest of us for their benefit.

I have to believe this is the first release and there will be updates. I sure hope so.

1 Like

@cvkemp: You’re dead on, Chuck. Dead on. I hope so, too.

1 Like

[Note: Tried to use MyMusic for practice time this morning. It’s still not suitable for live guitar playing, IMO. I ended up using my default program. It was okay, but not as nice as the old Music program.

At least with the default program, my Taylor sounds like itself. I’m posting this just as evidence that I am giving MyMusic a chance, but it’s still a …

… Fail.]

Don’t worry - I’m done flogging this horse now.:frowning:

Ah, what’s in a word? We have different definitions of “hearing.” My definition includes what I perceive, which includes the processing in the brain, and that processing is dependent on previous training. This forum concentrates on the physical stuff upstream of the nerve impulses from the cochlea. However, what I hear depends also on the brain and its training, and in that sense I hear differently than a non-musician does.

1 Like

@Herbhornist: So, are you inferring that Chuck wouldn’t hear distortion of an audio signal, but we would, by virtue of our training?

I’m not sure I buy that … being trained to identify certain timbres and instrument sounds is, to me, different from being unable to distinguish clipping or square waves.

1 Like

In some ways I agree with it. I haven’t been trained to interpret music, but I was trained in the service to hear and interpret communication over a radio net that was most definitely full of distortion. And you have to remember what I said about not being able to tell the difference between dots and dashes used in Morse Code.

1 Like

I know what you’re saying, because I always got stuck carrying the radio pack when I was in the field. Bummer.

I’m listening to what you’re trying to tell me, Chuck, but the distortion in MyMusic that I’m talking about is like hearing aids that crackle in your ear. You’re saying that you wouldn’t hear it because you’re not musically trained.

I contend that you would.

At this time I don’t know that seeing my aids aren’t updated.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I am inferring, assuming that his physical apparatus is half-way decent. Probably the More’s “deep neural network” could to that if so trained, and we know what that’s modelled on. The brain is designed to learn to pick out signal from noise exquisitely.
I think that this side discussion is germane to the topic because it highlights why the MyMusic program is what it is. Most people may be trained to the boom box sound, which is not my preference.

I agree with you, but also note that any Audiophile would in very short order, determine the shortcomings of MyMusic.

And that is precisely what @SpudGunner (a professional musician) and I (an Audiophile) contend.

Perhaps I can summarize my understanding this way:

1. Chuck @cvkemp contends that MyMusic was engineered by Oticon to sound good to people with no musical training, and not with the objective of sounding good to musicians. (Okay, this may be true …).
  2. Some members with musical “training” (can mean lots of brain training, not just music lessons) intensely dislike MyMusic’s EQ, room dynamics simulation, and gain curve, as well as the fact that they hear distortion, clipping, and other artifacts that spoil sound fidelity.
  3. Chuck contends that people lacking musical training will not perceive what people like @flashb1024 and I perceive as glaring deficiencies in the MyMusic program. (The more I think of pop/rock culture, the sound of cheap radios and guitar amps, etc, the more I come to see some merit in this argument. But I’m still not sold.)
  4. I still maintain that even the “untrained” or “tin” ear can’t help but pick out MyMusic’s distortion. But I’m prepared to hold my fire until Chuck gets his firmware update and can tell me for himself what he does and doesn’t hear.

For now - ceasefire notwithstanding - I still have a bottom line: I’m still really, really annoyed that Oticon has taken away my pleasant and accurate Music program for a piece of junk engineered for ´οι πολλοι.

1 Like

@cvkemp: As much as I hate to think that Oticon would do such a thing, I’m beginning to think you’re right. Right, in the sense that Oticon doesn’t care what musicians hear, so long as the masses throw up their hands and sayWonderful program”.

I think that as long as people hear more bass out of the MyMusic program, they’ll think it’s the best thing since the Beatles.

Maybe @Volusiano is correct, too - the Oticon engineers are arrogant.

So, I concede both points to you gentlemen.

I wasn’t a Beatles fan until later in life. Early on I was in the Herman’s Hermits camp. :grinning:

2 Likes

@jay_man2: Psst ! :shushing_face: Jay!! Don’t admit that in public, man! Then you’ll be accused of liking Barry Man O’Low, too!

3 Likes

I was able to.get my More1 aids firmware updated last Friday, my audiologist didn’t add the MyMusic program as a separate program, so I questioned that fact. I received an email on Tuesday that has the information from the VA Oticon rep that starts that the MyMusic was added to the default/general program. No I do believe it even of others don’t. I have never had this much enjoyment out of my beloved classical music like I do now with out having to set a program or make adjustments on and equalizer or even volume. But to make a few.happy I will be getting the MyMusic program added to my aids after Thanksgiving.
Also, I received my Smart charger today and will testing it out over the weekend and next week. It is definitely heavier than the desktop charger and comes with a cable that is standard USB on one end and USBC on the other, and it comes with it wall charger. My audiologist made a point out of the facts to.make sure to.put my aids in it corrected and that it would not work with my OPNS aids.

I wish someone with the technical wherewithal to do so would explain to me how it’s possible to “add MyMusic to the default/general program”. :worried:

It is just like of the other auto sensing programs that are programmed into the default program settings, it uses the prescription settings and changes for the environment like going from quiet to noise, to.road noise etc… Most if not all hearing aids with brains do it.and have done it for many years. It is why I only need a single program for my.normal daily usage. I don’t likes trying to remember to change programs when going in a restaurant or church or being in the car, the aids brain does it automatically.

But, Chuck, @cvkemp: Oticon doesn’t do that autosensing stuff, do they? My More1s have never automatically switched programs on me once since I put them into my ears in March!

Who told you that they.most certainly do, every set of Oticon aids I have had have a form of.Auto sense they call it something different but it is the same concept. I haven’t ever really needed anything but the default program. Back.with the older aids that had slower processors I could hear them switch.programs. the OPN1 aids I heard them switch but the OPNS aids very seldom, the More aids are seamless switching