Oticon More adds disposable battery model and MyMusic program

But are you really thinking about the fact that our hearing is shot in the first place. And mine is even worse in the mid range anyway. So many of us would not even recognize a pure tone if it hit us over the head.

1 Like

Yes, Chuck. I have thought about it, and it’s an excellent point. I still don’t know whether what I’m hearing can be attributed to my loss.

I hope you don’t mind but I have brought up your feelings as well as others about not having the music program that can be adjusted as needed and he says he will check but believes it should be still possible.

1 Like

Brought it up to whom?

To my audiologist, I don’t know of any of the Veterans that I have contact with at the Clinic that has ever said anything about a music program. My Oticon Alta Pros had a music program that I used mostly when out hiking, I didn’t find it helpful for music listening. I had it I believe at first on the OPN1 aids but didn’t keep it once I found that the default program worked on the trails, and again music sounds better with the default program for me.

Same here - my default program sounds better - that’s why I don’t think it’s my loss making the MyMusic program sound distorted.

1 Like

Trouble is, this isn’t what I said I wanted! I just want a program that does NOT artificially colour the music. I don’t need to make any adjustments other than volume, bass, mid and treble when streaming.

I am talking about the audiologist being able to customize

Well, I guess perhaps that’s getting closer to the truth, and I am grateful that you’ve put this into the pipeline to Oticon.

Just to be clear on my beef, however, I just want a music program that:

1. Doesn’t alter or artificially colour the natural sound of music played live or through loudspeakers;
  2. Is not causing any distortion (impurities) of the live or recorded sound;
  3. Allows the EQ sliders of the ON app to trim any excess bass or treble from the music I’m streaming, depending on what the source is (Norah Jones cd, podcasts, iTunes selections, etc.), which is different from what my audiologist can adjust.

That’s all I’m looking for, Chuck.

1 Like

That is a lot to ask when you consider the nature of hearing aids and hearing loss. Knowing that the intended design of hear aids is speech understanding.

Fair enough, then don’t tell me you’re giving me a wonderful music program that beats all others!

You’re ignoring the point that my default program (which you say is designed for speech) is doing a better job playing music to my liking than MyMusic. You’re also ignoring the fact that I have never voiced a complaint about the original Music program

How come?

1 Like

Again hearing aids aren’t Air Buds or whatever Apple calls them. I guess if we were lucky and had a mild to moderate hearing loss it would be a different story. I hear all the time why aren’t hearing aids like the little ear buds and my thinking is that might be okay for a short time but my experience was that they weren’t comfortable for more than a few hours. And the battery life sucks.

1 Like

Agreed. They are hearing aids, and mine work great. The default program works great. Speech in Noise works great. T- coil works great . EduMic works great. With firmware v1.1.1, ConnectClip works great. The old Music program used to work great.

I’m only saying that MyMusic sucks!

1 Like

And I don’t understand why they would remove that capacity either

I think musicians DO hear quite differently than others. For example, I am an amateur musician and an engineer (ret.), the worse of both worlds. I have significant loss. I will enter it later. I am always asking my wife to repeat herself and can’t hear the cat purring in my lap, while she can across the room.
OTOH, i can pick out individual instruments in the sound of an orchestra. That is, I have a good ear for timbre. I can be riding in a car and say that the front right wheel bearing needs replacing, whereas the other occupants of the car don’t hear anything from there.
These are two totally different domains. The commonality is the training for the nuances of timbre. From this discussion it sounds like I wouldn’t like the MyMusic program.

Thanks, Chuck, hopefully some feedback (pun) will get Oticon to get off their duffs and add the original Music program to Program Manager.
As it stands, there is no option for it.

No, Jim it isn’t your loss, as I have exactly the same description of what is glaringly wrong with MyMusic.
It is the program not your hearing loss.

Based on what you’ve written, I’m certain you would abhor it!

@Herbhornist: Thanks for joining the conversation. I can readily acknowledge that musicians’ ears are accustomed to pulling very subtle nuances out of the sound mix. We’re trained to hear them, and that ability is almost certainly more finely tuned than a non-musicians’ ability to discern timbre.

What I don’t buy is the assertion that musicians hear differently. I contend that we hear the same way, but our ability to discern certain sounds and patterns has been enhanced by learning.

To me, this is analogous to people trained to perceive blemishes in the weave of cloth or small products traveling past them on a conveyor belts at fast rates of speed. I’ve marveled at watching such people pick out flaws and plucking rejects off a production line with infallible accuracy because they’re not looking for individual things, they look for patterns, and can discern breaks in the pattern that allow them to zero in on the individual items that are causing the break.

But these highly-skilled quality inspectors see with the same eyes as we do. Their corneas, retinas, lenses, etc, are the same a ours. It is their brains that have been exquisitely trained to detect minuscule discontinuities that would escape the untrained eye.

Similarly, I contend that - independent of the training their brains have received - the individuals Chuck is referring to hear with the same auditory apparatus as non-musicians. They just have more practice in distinguishing certain patterns - as @Herbhornist has pointed out. Musicians may, indeed, hear different things, but they do so with the same ears.

If I’m correct in my understanding of his posts (maybe I’m getting it wrong), what Chuck (@cvkemp) is suggesting is the same as saying that the textile weaver produces one quality of product (maybe measured in terms of number of knots or blemishes per square yard) for people whose vision is not so keen, and (by inference) has another quality of cloth for those who are able to detect the faults. Not only is this idea ethically abhorrent to me, I have too much faith in Oticon’s integrity to believe they would ever knowingly participate in such a scam. That said, I have significantly less confidence in their humility (cf. @Volusiano).

I echo what others have said, and what you’ve suspected would be your own reaction. You’re probably going to hate MyMusic, and we will be anxiously awaiting your contribution to our understanding of this strange spawn of the Oticon engineers.

Ok, I’m gonna put my other 2 cents worth in…Before I had any hearing loss, I had a “tin ear”. I suspect that I probably couldn’t tell the difference in the 2 programs. I suspect there are plenty of hearing impaired folks with the same problem…

1 Like

@danhuddleston: That’s true, Dan. But do you really think that Oticon would intentionally develop a music program for the “tin ear crowd”, specifically.

I’m saying I don’t buy that part, not that there are many HA users with “tin ears”.

No, I find it hard to grasp that they would make a worse program on purpose. I was trying to address the musicians hear musical nuances better than others by training or whatever. It is my contention that there are ones of us that would never have gotten it even with attempts to train us…As to the issue with the music programs, hopefully Oticon will make both available to the users…
Dan

1 Like