Noahlink vs Airlink

Is Airlink from Resound same as Noahlink? I mean, can airlink be used for other aids, like opn1?

Noahlink Wireless is the same hardware as ReSound Airlink 2. GN gave up its rights to Airlink 2 so HIMSA could rebrand and sell it as Noahlink Wireless. Don’t confuse these products with NOAHlink (note the uppercase spelling) and original Airlink.

Ok, so, can I use airlink 2 for programming opn 1? Thanks

Yes, if the Airlink 2 has been firmware upgraded to Noahlink Wireless and you’re using the latest fitting software and hearing aid firmware for Opn.

You might be able to just use the resound Airlink ll to program the OPN, (if you haven’t already got the Fitting Link for oticon hearing aids ) but first you need to upgrade the Airlink ll to noahlink in the resound smart fit 1.0 software. I’m sure pvc had a list of hearing aids that the noahlink can program. See his programming guides herehttps://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/how-to-program-your-hearing-aids-diy/31749

Can I upgrade airlink 2 myself?

Yes, the upgrade tool can be downloaded from ReSound’s website.

Here.

I bought my Airlink 2 on eBay and updated using this tool.
That brought the firmware level to 2.15. Then when I connected to Genie 2 SP1 I was prompted for an additional update which gave me firmware v. 2.17

The first thing I did was go out and get an Airlink2 and downloaded SmartFit. Just being able to rerun the automatic feedback supression periodically is worth it. I ditched the useless factory MUSIC program and adjusted it to meet my needs. My audiologist just shakes her head when I tell her what I’m doing. Just replaced the right side reciever myself as well.

2 Likes

@rnatalie I think the forum likes DIY comments filed under that category. Presumably you’ve updated Airlink2 to the Noahlink Wireless firmware as I believe the Airlink2 per se is obsolete and HIMSA OEM’s of which ReSound is one have agreed to standardize on the Noahlink Wireless. If you actually listen to music, you’ll find the compression attack/relaxation settings in the Music program better than those for the other basic programs.

Edit_Update: RELEASE OF NOAHLINK WIRELESS – ReSound (resoundconnect.com)

I guess by attempting to update your Airlink 2 you risk something bad happening, like bricking it. OTH, you gain the functionality at least to have the device work with other HIMSA HA’s by effectively converting it to a Noahlink Wireless device (the Noahlink Wirelss is the result of other HIMSA OEM’s deciding the ReSound’s wireless fitting protocol was good stuff and deciding to go with it).

Please explain this a bit more, as it seems they were both updated?

As a side note, you can update them through SmartFit software, doesn’t matter if they are registered or not, so I don’t think this is an issue, do you notice any difference between the two?
You may get another update for the left at a later date through the App anyway.

Why would that be, I’ve done a few over the years without any issues. I’ve never heard of any Airlink2 being “bricked” like this.

Actually looking at the link you posted from ReSound, I noticed that they mentioned Widex as a partner, and that was 2017! but still… I guess there’s a chance they may jump into this in the future, as widex is now a part of Sivantos.

It seems you’ve thrown back a whole bunch of rejoinders without considering them too carefully. You might want to think over and edit what you’ve written a bit.

On the not being properly registered, I’ve had a HA replaced by the audi, was just about to walk out of the office, and the original HA that was duly registered for ReSound Remote Assistance got the firmware update through the Smart 3D app, the new HA replacement did not and I recollected that she hadn’t registered the new one with ReSound for Remote Assist. I turned around right in the waiting room, spoke to the receptionist, went right back to the fitting room, the audi hooked the replacement up to Smart Fit, registered it, and then I went back to the waiting room, ran the Smart 3D update and got the firmware update for the replacement, too. So I know firsthand what I’m talking about. Smart Fit 1.9 Now Available As Of 11/23/2020 (and I also own and use a Noahlink Wireless device).

Actually, two separate incidents (not counting my current problems getting firmware updates thru 3D app after DIY messing around) GN Hearing first to support direct Android streaming using ASHA (got old vs. replacement mixed up in my description just above) and an earlier problem where audi didn’t register replacment and ReSound support says problem is caused by serial number of bad HA still being in ReSound’s database of HA’s eligible for update, new serial number not being present - maybe ReSound has changed its ways since then…) Remote Assist - Smart 3D App Embroglio With Quattro's

As to companies supporting Noahlink Wireless whose modern wireless HA’s are compatible with the device: Companies Supporting Noahlink Wireless – HIMSA

I see Widex (under development), Phonak, Sivantos, Oticon, Starkey, Cochlear, etc., on the list. Seen any list like that for Airlink 2?

On “bricking” any device, it’s always possible if there’s a power interruption and you’re not using a battery-powered laptop or hooked up to a UPS or, since you might be trying to update an old device to the most modern firmware for Noahlink Wireless, it’s always possible that HIMSA didn’t properly provide for bringing old hardware so far into the future. I don’t know how reversible bricking would be for an Airlink 2 (reversibility varies by device and software required to undo a mess) - I just mentioned that as the only possible downside that I could see to converting an Airlink 2 to a Noahlink Wireless device. It would be great if you agreed there really isn’t any significant downside and a lot of positive benefit to doing the firmware upgrade and moving from 2017 into 2021.

Edit_Update: BTW, in case anyone else wonders what we’re talking about in “bricking” and “unbricking”, here’s the Wikipedia article on bricking (and unbricking) and as I said, the part that I don’t know about is how “unbrickable” an Airlink 2 is, if somehow it were bricked in the first place.

There is no general method; each device is different. Brick (electronics) - Wikipedia

I was thinking this when reading your reply.

They are ether registered or they are not, they can’t be partly registered.
Guess what, you can register the HA yourself through SmartFit.

Wow nice story. Glad you got it sorted, would have been a hassle having to go back at a later date.

I never said you didn’t. Just asked you to explain it.

So do I, and a Airlink2, they are brilliant devises and have really made a world of difference when it comes to programming.

I believe they have,as I’ve not had any problems doing this.

But Airlink2 is a Noahlink, are you now saying that the Noahlink is somehow better?
Why would it make any difference if there’s a “list” for Airlink2 or not.

Yep you got that right, but you said and mentioned bricking an Airlink2, not just any device, I’m actually quite aware of the risks involved with HAs.

Ha ha, you got the wrong end of the stick jim, but seriously I never said anything like your saying here, never said there’s any downside to anything, my Airlink2 is exactly the same as my Noahlink Wireless, so I’m up with the times, and…its not 2021 yet, but I get your drift.

According to ReSound, an Airlink2 is NOT equivalent to a Noahlink Wireless device unless you update it. (then I should imagine, it’s effectively a Noahlink Wireless since it will have the HIMSA firmware, not the original Airlink 2 firmware) - ReSound in the quote below uses the very words “upgrade…to become a Noahlink Wireless device…”

Hearing Care Professionals that already use the Airlink 2 will be able to upgrade their device to become a Noahlink Wireless device by simply updating their software. This will provide compatibility within HIMSA approved brands.

(quote from the RED text material on the following page by ReSound, maker of Airlink 2 - so they should know) RELEASE OF NOAHLINK WIRELESS – ReSound (resoundconnect.com)

And partly means one HA registered for Remote Assist, the other not.

Yep again you got this right, as I’ve already mentioned way back in the thread, I’ve done quite a few over the years.

No need to imagine, its the same.

So do I, I installed the firmware update as soon as it was available all those years ago.
Yes I was actually using the Airlink2 as it was intended to be used back then, it was a fantastic upgrade on the original Airlink dongle, which was a real pain at times with it dropping the connection (you’ll be glad to hear no “bricked” HA tho)

Ha ha, love it how you say this, so that’s what you meant to say.

Its getting late downunder.

Good night Jim.

@tenkan Actually, it turns out that I only used the words “properly enrolled” - “partly” was your usage. For want of anything else to say, it seems to be making much ado out of little. And might depend on whether one happens to be referring to enrollment as the process or the end state. One can fail in the process and not achieve the end state and therefore not have both hearing aids properly enrolled for updates-in one of the instances I cite, I seem to have enrolled (but not really) thru the 3D app-and had no direct way of knowing otherwise. I think that some of the supposed language problems here are very imagined rather than real.

I have always thought the Airlink 2 and the Noahlink Wireless were one in the same except a firmware update.
Last time I was at Costco the fitter was using an Airlink 2 to program KS9 aids. Back when I was searching for a wireless programmer both these devices were looked for. The Airlink 2 was always more expensive for some reason? Ended up getting a Noahlink Wireless for a great price.

Rasmus Braun did a good thing by fusing tenkan’s and my recent discussion relative to Noahlink (Wireless) vs. Airlink to this thread. As Rasmus pointed out quite a while ago at the begginning of the thread Noahlink vs Airlink, the two are hardware identical but differ by firmware employed. So I guess whatever nomenclature choice one wants to make is not the end of the world (just like “properly” enrolled) but perhaps if it is like Noah vs. NoahLink vs Noahlink Wireless, one can end up unsure of exactly what device (and firmware) is being employed when one older nomenclature is used to refer to a newer device (status). I’d be interested to hear about tenkan’s music program if he has one of his own devising. It might be interesting to give it a try, especially if it’s an improvement over ReSound’s. Perhaps that could be a new DIY thread?

Mine is a ResSound Airlink2. I updated it with the latest software (comes with the SmartFit stuff). It’s working well for me. SmartFit has some issues, but you can get around that by running it in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

Don’t know about the Airlink2, whether its firmware has been updated to be equivalent to the latest Noahlink Wireless but I’m running Smart Fit v1.11 using a Noahlink Wireless with the latest firmware, AFAIK, and when one goes to install Smart Fit, an install dialog lists the minimal and preferred hardware and Windows OS requirements. Windows 10 is the OS recommended by ReSound and has been for a number of Smart Fit versions. Windows 10 has worked great for me but I’ve only done minimal fitting adjustments, mainly picking my degree of user experience, fitting algorithm, feedback control, experimenting with different domes and different amounts of venting in custom molds, recalculating program fits, etc.