New myPhonak app

Maybe is shouldn’t say disconnected. Thank you

If I read it correctly, BT Pairing is a once only process.
If you connect to the Phonak App you need to wait for it to connect (fast in some cases).
If you switch to a different App on your phone the App will sometimes pick up the previous connect but not every time.

Try this:
Open the App. Click PROFILE. In large print it says Create Account. In small print is Login if you already have an account. Is that the route you take?

Or Open the App. Click Home and wait for the aids to connect?

It took me a while to figure out you don’t need to login.

May be, what disconnects is the control panel. The customisation you just did is retained by the aids.

1 Like

The customized apps was just an example. My main concern was streaming where if I’m listening to music for a while and go back to my phonack app it says disconnected

I think that is correct. The only feature I don’t like, which was introduced in the previous version was retaining the last selected program. Others found it irksome that it reverted to Automatic too often. Me, I found the opposite.

hass, disconnected from the App, not disconnected from the music. If you want to go back to Automatic then you need to allow the App to reconnect and then select Auto. This is not a new feature. The previous update, where the interface was not changed, introduced that feature of retaining your chosen setting.

I understand that it’s not disconnected to the music. I would notice that immediately. But when I stream I go back to the app to set up sound that I like. Ten minutes later I go back to the my phonak app and it says disconnected. I don’t notice any difference in the sound I was streaming. I just don’t understand why it says disconnected. Why doesn’t it at least say connected until I stop streaming. I appreciate everyone’s response. I just don’t under why the app switches back to disconnected when nothing has changed. Again thank you to everyone

I’m getting the feeling that people are getting confused between BT classic and BT LE. Phonak uses the older classic as it can connect to almost everything. The down side is that only one app or device can be used at a time. When you switch between either apps or devices the aids will “disconnect” from the one you’re using so you can connect to the next. Each connection to anything has a connection time, it just isn’t always noticeable.

1 Like

No that’s not what I’m referring to. Same app same program. One minute it shows connected. Go back to my phonak app and now shows disconnected. Nothing else was changed. But like I said I don’t notice any changes between when my phonak app says connected and then says disconnected. It’s been explained but the app saying disconnected when nothing has changed makes no sense.

If the app goes to sleep while you look at something else, or sleep the phone, I can see it losing the connection. They have a few bugs to work out. I have other BT LE oriented apps. I don’t think they try to have continuous connections, they make/break and poll. Maybe fitbit is an exception? The fitbit watch, apple watch and the classic BT connection to the HA BT master stay up. But the LE connections to the aids doesn’t.

WH

1 Like

This is an app that lets you adjust your hearing aids. If it loses the connection than the app is worthless. Maybe that’s why the app gets such a poor review

1 Like

What I mean is BT classic uses more power when connected than BT LE. I think the app is designed to disconnect after a period of no use to prevent unnecessary battery drain. I feel the short reconnection time is better than batteries going flat.

1 Like

Respectfully disagree. You use the app to adjust the hearing aids. For tweaks or changes. Then those changes remain programmed to the aids. You do not need the app to use the aids, they only enhance it. Otherwise everyone would have to keep their phone on them while using the aids??

The app is acting like many other apps that interact with a device. As an example, my Garmin smartwatch has a bluetooth connection to the phone. Constant. Can read text when they arrive on the phone, etc. But to open up the Garmin app and make changes or program the watch, it takes 5 seconds to ‘connect to the watch’ - as it opens a different programming stream (most likely BT LE). Same goes for my gps tracker. And BT headphones.

I understand you would prefer it not to say “disconnected” but in essence that is exactly what is happening. The aids stay connected via classic BT and you stream your music non stop. But when you want to make an adjustment the app uses a different connection which takes a few seconds to make and when the app goes idle, it drops that connection.

4 Likes

I use the app to adjust the hearing aid. Ss long as my aids are on I’m using the app. But I go back to the app and it says disconnected. I don’t know if any other app that disconnects while I’m using it. But I didn’t come here to debate this. It says disconnected while I’m in the process of using it. I’m not bouncing all over the phone. I’m using the app to to control my aids. When I return to the app the status has changed from whatever to disconnected. But I’m moving on because the auds are fine with or without the app which gets a 3.9 rating on the Google store. I usually don’t install an app with that poor of a rating

You use the app to make changes to the hearing aids. Once the changes are made you don’t need to have the app running or need to stay connected to it.

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying. Thank you

Phonak uses Bluetooth Classic for streaming to one master HA which transmitts it to the secondary HA. The control via myPhonak works with Bluetooth LE and connects to both hearing aids individually.

1 Like

I just saw my audiologist; showed him the app on my iPhone. I find the APP to me excellent compared to the old. My saved programs even stayed after he connected my HA’s to his computer.

My hearing aids are working better now. Suit me better (I had discovered Dynamic on the App. He programmed this change (+2 soft) into my automatic program. Restored the automatic program to my startup program. He is amazing. He listens and changes things. I went in and said to him this time, “you’re the boss”

So my P90’s are programmed so i can change the volume. If I can’t hear, I increase the volume. Or try increasing dynamic on the app.

I’m liking my hearing aids a lot more after visiting my audi. I should have done it sooner. My fault.

DaveL

1 Like

Thank you Dave. But that doesn’t explain why I go back to the app and it says disconnected. Plus android parings are a lot more involved than iphone pairings. Not trying to criticize the app or whether the app is good or bad. Just trying to better understand the connect disconnected question which I think was answered. Thank you to everyone for their input

1 Like