New myPhonak app

The trend appears to be that @hass5744 has an opinion about various phonak items such as remote function in the app is useless and private audiologist can’t be bothered. Therefore everyone must agree with his opinion. Disagreement is not acceptable in that world.

I’ve had at least 6 remote appointments using that app with my private audiologist over the past few years. Each time with programming changes that were successful.

People complaining about the mute on the app not working. But people have had some kind of mute put into the aids themselves by their audiologist. Phonske aids, at least the newer models don’t come with a mute button. God knows why. An.d Dave, I answered in response to a direct question addressed to me by another forum member. So kiss off. Jerk. You see spud. It doesn’t pay to be nice.

The only time I need to mute my app is when HerSelf®️ says they’re “whistling” (feeding back). I usually just turn the volume all the way down. Problem solved. Easy peasy…

Do Phonak not have a volume control on their ap? The Oticon volume slider works really good. Smooth.

I have had to delete and re-download the My Phonak app several times now because parts of, or all of the app becomes unresponsive. I have the Target software and the ability to adjust my own aids, but haven’t really done anything with it since my p-90’s have worked pretty well as-is, with me just making a couple custom programs in My Phonak. As for delete buttons on the keyboard - not all keyboards have delete buttons. Mine only have volume increase and decrease symbols on the PGUP and PGDN keys. Most electronic devices that have physical knobs and buttons for selection or adjustment show the current state or selection as ACTIVE via an icon or label on whatever display is provided, assuming there are no physical markings on the controls themselves. The mute symbol in the My Phonak app is just a gray circle with a symbol over top. Is this an indicator of the current setting, or a “button” that you push to activate the depicted function? The designers could do better here.

I use it when I’m about to remove the aids from my ears to avoid the squealing. I have had complaints. I also use it, out of habit when I’m using the mower or the leaf blower in a futile attempt to prevent further damage to my ears. Taking the aids out doesn’t protect my ears from loud noises, I just don’t heale them. Muting does according to my Audi who has made molds and I guess aids for people who shoot firearms. I never really got into a discussion about it. Hope this is helpful

hass, without hassling :), I am in UK where distances between towns and audiologists is similar to distances in a big town in US. I had 3 out of 3 offering a remote service. My first two were recommended to me by our Veterans Hearing (interesting back story), the third was one recommended by my insurers when an aid was replaced.*

In your case, contacting audiologists direct may be a good bet. The problem though is, like mine, with aids funded by VA you may need to use their audiologist,

*never use two different suppliers

AFAIK, no-one here has complained about the mute button in the app not working. The discussion has simply been about the icons used by Phonak in their wisdom for mute/unmute.

The Phonak app does have a set of volume controls.

As for use of the mute, as I’ve said, I use it on a daily basis - when the neighbours’ dogs are barking and yelping, when the rubbish collectors are banging and grinding, when gardening contractors are mowing and leafblowing and hedgecutting and chainsawing, when builders are thumping and playing their radios … you get the (sound) picture.

@hass5744 Thanks for taking the time to provide your full and clear explanation.

I guess it just depends on what we individually find more of a hassle. For me, it’s a greater hassle to be fiddling with the HA buttons than to use the app (which is why I guess Phonal created an app, imperfect though it is).

Well I pretty much don’t. With my loss I use the autosense program pretty exclusively. It handles all different types of environments really well. The telecoil was added just in case but I’ve never used it. So it autosense and the one program I use as much. I’m sure for people with a less severe hearing loss those other programs might come in handy but not for me. I just can’t be bothered going to the audiologist to remove them. And to anyone else who has just skimmed through this thread I am just trying to be helpful. If that bothers anyone or if my comments bother anyone I don’t care. Look back. I said I liked the new app. But I’m not going to try to defend myself any longer for trying to help people. People said they didn’t like the mute button. I tried to explain there were alternatives. Others tried to explain there were even more alternatives. Now using the mute button on the app I’m going to press it and move on. God I hope it works. Remember the TV show soap. Burt thought he could snap his fingers and disappear. I’m snapping

1 Like

I get the picture, @KiwiJohn, but I’m serious: couldn’t you manage just by turning the volume down on the app sliders? Do you need a dedicated Mute Button?

I’m the same. Use AutoSense but also have telecoil as well. Telecoil came in useful today when I caught a train and had to use a machine that spoke to me to get information. It was equipped with telecoil that actually worked! :flushed:

Yes. That’s why I have it on there. Just in case

@hass5744: Yes, these are stressful times. But, there would be no shame in your seeking professional help offline if you felt that close to the breaking point. Just sayin’ …

My fingers Jim. But thanks for you’re concern

1 Like

@SpudGunner You’re right of course. The mute button is redundant on all devices and apps that also have a volume control. But speaking as an app developer, I know that users find a mute button much more convenient (no need to remember what you had the volume set to, when you’re turning it back up).

1 Like

@KiwiJohn: I see … thank you for your explanation.

:chair::chair::chair::chair:

I am very unhappy with Phonak regarding their App.

I wear Phonak CROS P and even though these have been out for a year Phonak have not connected them to their App.

Instead they have wasted their resources in developing their App to measure steps or pulse rate which have nothing to do do with hearing loss and for which there are much cheaper and efficient options such as watches and Fitbits.

I suppose Cros Aids are not one of their big sellers and after all its all about money.

Does any body know when the App will be connected to their Cros Aids which are all about severe hearing loss.

1 Like

Someone on the Phonak HA FB Page says she works for Phonak and hasn’t been told when the CROS will work with the App and normally she gets told a year in advance.

Don’t know how true that is tho.

Every time l activate the myphonak app, it fails to connect one or two times then l have to press the home button and it connects to my aids.