Jabra Enhance Pro – initial experience

Costco UK does REM.

My local NHS does REM.

Your audiologist not doing REM is not exceptional as I have had independent audiologists not doing REM. But I suspect a lot do.

1 Like

I gotta retract the ‘hands-free on Android’ assertion. People hear me and I hear them very well via BT and the HA microphones, which s pretty hands-free for me, but I can’t control the phone from the HAs or the app.

I tried the M&RIEs without a happy result. They were set up via REM, but the sound seemed to somehow be sort of fuzzy, not a sharply delineated as with the regular RICs.

The more I listen to music, the more natural it sounds. Voices sound natural. I’ve had 'em 4 weeks tomorrow, 13 days with normal RICs, 15 with M&RIEs.

I could have written the same review word for word.
Had mine a week from Costco on iPhone 13.
Other than streaming they are pretty good. I like the wind control.
But the connection to the app (which is designed well) is wonky.
However, streaming and phone calls compared to my Widex Beyond 330’s is just not as good.
I need them turned down which may help and I will get that done in a week but so far the streaming and phone call quality is subpar.

Not sure if you’re referring to the quality of the audio or the connectivity (staying connected). I have the ReSound Omnia 962s, which are ~equivalent to the Jabra Enhance Pro 10’s at Costco, IIRC. I think the audio quality is very good to excellent. If I want more bass in the Smart 3D app (not sure what the Costco equivalent is), I increase bass in the Sound Enhancer to +6, decrease mid-tones and treble to -2, and adjust the overall volume to my satisfaction.

With connectivity, I have had an issue, also the same issue when trialing the Phonak Lumitys. While out walking around the neighborhood, going by certain houses or areas in the neighborhood, my BT connection would break up, which I attributed to EMI from some houses as the breakup locations were always very reproducible. However, in the past week, ReSound had a Smart 3D app update for both Android and iOS (I’m using an iPhone), which seems to have fixed the breakup problem. In several walks over the past week, I haven’t experienced any connectivity loss at the usual spots. The Smart 3D app has an option on the “More” tab (lower right of screen) for “Optimize MFi Connection,” and that usually helps, although it makes the app less responsive to settings changes. But my connectivity was good after the Smart 3D update, even without turning that on.

Good to hear you are happy with your Resound’s.

I am labeling them as “subpar” by comparison to my Widex Beyond 330’s which had / have a more stable connection to the app as well as a fuller sound.

It is certainly true that these aids need to be adjusted especially at the high end to remove the tinniness and soften the sound. I will be interested to see how they do.

Apart from streaming they are fine.

The mention of the Smart 3D app makes me want to post about the Jabra phone app for Android. I had a number of problems with my Jabra app on Android 13 with my Pro 10s. I’ve switched to using the ReSound app which is proving to be better than the Jabra app, even though the differences are minimal (mainly colors and logos used and references to Jabra vs. ReSound).

The Jabras connect as quickly to the ReSound app as they do to the Jabra version. The ReSound version seems to switch programs faster.

It is also maybe 50% better at holding my TV streamer program settings. It’s not perfect, though - it still doesn’t reliably show the volume sliders in a way that allows me to mute commercials. Sometimes the break is over before I can mute the aids, and sometimes it’s hard to get them unmuted after a commercial, which sometimes causes me to lose dialog. The Jabra is too slow. Of course, I may have the newest RS app and an older version of Jabra, but I still haven’t found out how to find the software version…

For the Smart 3D software version, go to the More tab settings on the main screen (lower right). Under the General heading down the page, tap on Legal Information, then tap on MANUFACTURER at the top of the next page. You’ll see the version number of the Smart 3D app at the top of the last page.

Others have commented before how strange to hide the app version number away in this location, whereas most software writers would put such information under the About heading on the first More tab page.

Perhaps another concern would be if you have the latest firmware update for the Jabras? In the past with my Quattros, I seem to recall there was a firmware update or two that did not show up in the Smart 3D app but was available through the fitting software. Have you checked with Costco as to whether there have been any recent firmware updates for the Jabra? (sorry, I haven’t read many earlier posts in this thread).

I have had my Jabra Pro 10 hearing aids for two weeks. I had KSs with ear molds prior to this. When they tested my hearing, they said I did not need molds with the Jabras. Wrong. I insisted on molds anyway as it is a four hour drive to reach the Costco Hearing Aid Center. However the molds don’t prevent feedback on these. When I am using the “Speech Clarity” setting on the app, they squeal like the dickens when I am within a foot of a hard surface. I did note that the vent on these Jabra molds are way larger than what I had on the KS8s.

I have had issues with understanding speech in noisy restaurants with my KS8s. Was hoping the Jabras. would be an improvement. They are worse than the KS8s. Since most of the noise was on my left, I used my app to turn off the left hearing aid and turned the right side of my head toword my friends. That helped, but should not need to resort to this. I tried all different settings of frequency to no avail. I had asked the fitter to add the “restaurant” program but they insisted I didn’t need it. Like I didn’t need molds either.

The phone handsfree works well with my iPhone 14. At least one thing is an improvement over my old KS8s.

@PhotoCasey This is a fitting problem and not a Jabra problem.

I’m going to assume that you have the M&RIE receivers (extra microphone in the ear) which are going to be prone to feedback when you have a vented dome or vented mould.

The “speech clarity” setting in the Jabra app increases the high frequencies and that will naturally aggrevate an existing feedback problem.

The Jabras have a “front focus” program (in lieu of a “restaurant” program). The fitter should have turned on the front focus program.

I believe Costco can increase the feedback manager setting and update your programming remotely via the app which will help a bit.

Also, a short term solution is to ask them to send you a sample of each of the three sizes of power domes that are available for that hearing aid. You can also buy direct online from reputable online supplier (look for Resound Omnia hearing aids SureFit domes). I have done that several times while tinkering with dome styles. If the power domes work, you may like them as a permanent solution. If so, you would want Costco to recalibrate the fitting for those domes. That’s a trip back to the store.

If the power domes helped some, but you still want moulds, then those need to be remade with less venting or perhaps variable venting. But again, the M&RIE receivers will make it a trickier fit than you had with the KS8s that did not have the extra microphone in the ear. Also, you can ask for a standard receiver without the M&RIE at all.

1 Like

Don’t have M&RIE receivers. I have the standard receivers. They didn’t offer the M&RIE receivers and I would have declined them anyway. due to issues others have had. The fitter only turned on “All Around” program. Unfortunately, my Costco does not have the ability to program remotely so it means another 240 mile round trip. At least they claimed they cannot remotely program. Unfortunely, my testing and fitting was done by an audiology degree student under the supervision of an audiologist. This was the last week of his clinical time before graduation. That may be part of the problem as there was minumum supervision. I have emailed my audiologist at Costo outlining the issues and hopefully she will get back to me. Unfortunately I am sure they will advise me to come in. Since I live near the Canada/US border I may be able to get the Costco in Michigan to add the additional programs since that is only a 48 mile round trip. At the end of the day, I may end up returning the Jabras and go back to my KS8s, even though they don’t have the hands free phone function. Will update.

@PhotoCasey There should be no problem with getting a correct fitting in regards to the feedback. Having ruled out the M&RIE receivers, it’s just a matter of making sure the clinician is experienced with the actual Jabra fitting program. As to the HA programs, there are 4 available and you want them all even if you rarely use the other three. It only takes them a few minutes to add and verify settings.

Hopefully, you can do this across the border in Michigan. It would certainly be worth a phone call to find out.

1 Like

Exactly, the most common cause is incorrect fitting of the dome or mold, if your using an open dome, try a more closed type, if your using a custom mold you need to make sure there’s no sound leakage, @PhotoCasey you have up to severe loss in the higher frequencies it’s most likely to much sound is leaking and causing feedback, a good tight fit and redoing the feedback test is what is required, just adding additional programs is not the solution.
Since it’s such a hassle getting into your clinic why not go DIY, it’s certainly easy enough, everything is available to do it.

I suspect it is the large vents in the molds causing the feedback issue. Still waiting for the audiologist to respond.

Could be, what size do you know? for your loss you wouldn’t want them much bigger then 1.6mm, but still the fit wasn’t set up correctly at the time, so correct programming and feedback test and even REM to make sure it’s not pumping out to much high frequencies = no feedback.

2 Likes

the Roger on isn’t a magic. pill either. I use it with the multi mic and a Roger x receiver, I still have difficulty in groups , thou it does work better. in pointing mode. The Roger pen is easily purchased on e bay for much more affordable prices if you want to go that route, Again, more helpful than the multi mic especially as a pointer

1 Like

They did REM. Not sure what size the vent is it’s way larger than what my KS8s had. I might see if I can find a drill size to measure and convert to metric.

Ok so if it’s way bigger, then yes that could well be the problem, once you’ve worked out the size talk to your audiologist and see it is possible to sort any issues out in relation to the vent sizing.
Block the vent to see if you still have feedback to check if it’s the issue.

1 Like

You can use a toothpick or similar thing to plug your vent and see if you still have feedback. I have molds with no vent and can put my hand on and over my ear and aid with zero feedback, and my bad ear has pretty high gain.
The 4 programs i have installed on mine are, All Around, Ultra Focus, Music, and Outdoor.

1 Like

I have the Jabra enhanced from Costco and they are driving me crazy. I have tried everything but they sound like I am in a tunnel. I been back several times but no improvement.I tried earmolds but they make it worse. Any thoughts on how to fix. I’ve taken to using my old resounds, not what to do next.

I must admit that my KS8s have a much more natural sound than my Jabras. The sound of voices with the Jabras is almost irritating. Very sharp and like I was listening through a length of pipe. I listen to tv only in the mornings and have gone back to using my KS8 aids for that. I have an appointment on Tuesday to address my issues with the Jabras. The feedback is awful and I suspect they will redo the ear molds. Compared to the old aids, the new molds with the Jabras are much looser. I love the hands free phone features of the Jabras, but as a hearing aid, so far they suck.