iOS 16.3.1 and Connectivity Issues

I have had repeated iPhone connectivity issues with my Philips hearing aids purchased through Costco. This occurred prior to the latest iOS update and both pre and post the firmware update to the Philips hearing aids.

In addition to what you’ve experienced with one or both hearing aids indicating not connected to the control app on the iPhone, I repeatedly have streaming issues and issues with phone conversations where one hearing aid disconnects. With music streaming, often both hearing aids cut in and out intermittently. I’ve given up wearing my hearing aids on my exercise walks and have gone back to my AirPods due to this. It’s disappointing, but I’m done with trying to resolve it. Whether it’s and Apple issue or a Philips issue, bottom line, they don’t work well when paired to the iPhone.

Forgot to add - iPhone model is 13, which I upgraded to specifically to take advantage of phone to hearing aid connectivity. Philips hearing aids were purchased in December 2022.

Try this method of keep the iPhone in the pocket.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried that and it makes no difference. When on my extended walks (music streaming and phone calls), my iphone is in a nylon belt pouch less than 3 feet from the hearing aids. It’s my understanding the hearing aids use a different version/type of Bluetooth to connect to the iPhone. If so, perhaps that’s the issue.

1 Like

The key with hearing aids and streaming is line of sight, if my body is anyway between my aids and my iPhone then streaming can be broken. That even goes for having my iPhone in my jeans pockets if my body shields the signal between the aids and the phone then streaming can break. That is why my phones is always in a shirt pocket, or a pouch that I care in a shoulder pack.

4 Likes

ReSound just offered an update for their Smart 3D app for both Android and iOS. As usual (!), the update promises improvements in “stability and connectivity.” Maybe it’s a fix for the problems I’ve been having with the app after updating to iOS 16.3.1 - and it’s really been an app problem, not an iOS problem?!

I can walk two rooms away from my iphone and stay connected.

Yep that is indoors try it outside, then it isn’t going to work because Bluetooth signals depend on bouncing off of walls and ceiling and other objects to move the signal around and keep connecting. Where out side you normally only have line of sight.

Have the fitter delete all pairings in the fitting app. Then re-pair your aids to each thing they need to be paired to. That fixes it for me, until it happens again.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, when Costco updated the firmware (I had to push them on the update as they hadn’t approved the new version yet - we finally got it done), we did delete the hearing aids from the phone and repaired them.

They work, but it’s sporadic and they frequently lose the signal on one hearing aid or the other when I’m outdoors walking during a phone conversation, and on both hearing aids when streaming music. It seems to be a failure in the hearing aids being able to maintain the Bluetooth connectivity. Perhaps it’s interference from other sources, or perhaps when the hearing aids are picking up outdoor sounds through the microphones (wind, external noise), it’s causing the input to cut out and then delays before reestablishing the feed. The Apple AirPods don’t have the issue. It’s disappointing, but I’m hopeful perhaps future firmware upgrades will resolve it.

Thanks for the insight into how Bluetooth works. That makes a lot of sense as to why I’m having the connectivity failure when outside.

It does beg the question though - why do the Apple AirPods work just fine in the same environment, but the hearing aids don’t? My guess is that the hearing aids use a different type of Bluetooth connectivity that isn’t a powerful/robust.

I believe it has to do with Bluetooth power output. Think about it AirPods, batteries last maybe 4 hours, even rechargeable hearing aids last normally all day. And AirPods don’t even have to work as hard analyzing the sounds to make adjustments for yours or my hearing loss. As the old saying goes it is comparing apples to oranges.

That makes perfect sense. You are absolutely right, the hearing aids have a lot more functionality and their battery life, by necessity, is much longer.

Hearing aid antennas are tucked behind your ears. The AirPods likely have the antenna in the part external to the ear.

1 Like

I think AirPods employ classic BT, too, whereas Phillips are going to be MFi (a low-energy BT-like 2.4 GHz signal). The classic BT might have a stronger output. If you want to experiment at home, you could get a BT scanner in the App Store and identify your AirPods and your HA’s and see the relative BT signal strength.

For example, my Apple Watch Ultra, which has a lot bigger battery than my zinc-air-powered Omnia 962s and is classic BT, has a relative RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) of -55 or so holding it up by my ear, while either Omnia puts out a much weaker BT signal with relative RSSI of about -68 to -70 (which helps the size 13 battery last almost 2 weeks!).

Some apps I’ve tried are nRF Connect and BLE Scanner.

Thanks for the insight into the different Bluetooth technology the AirPods use vs. the Philips hearing aids. Given the hearing aids use MFi, I shouldn’t expect them to have the same signal strength as the AirPods. As CVKemp also pointed out in his post, the hearing aids are designed to have a much longer battery life to provide the essential functions intended for an entire day (my HAs have a rechargeable battery). Given that, it’s understandable Philips had to be designed to minimize the energy consumed for secondary functions.

Not sure why I would want to walk away from my phone outside?

Outside you can have the phone, say in the pocket of your pants and it can be out of line of sight of your hearing aids and cause dropping connectivity. I have had it a number of times until I figured out that outside the phone and aids have to be in a clear line of side. That my body blocking the line of sight will cause drop of connection.
In doors the signal will bounce off walls and be able to keep connected.

I’ll try to remember that the next time I take a call while I am out walking to see if I have any issues. I seldom carry the phone in a shirt pocket because it is to heavy.

The Smart 3D app update that I got last week seems to have greatly improved BT connectivity when walking outdoors. I’m no longer getting breakup when going by certain houses.