iOS 16.3.1 and Connectivity Issues

I’ve especially had this problem after updating to iOS 16.3.1, so I’m blaming that update. Still, my problem could have started with 16.3, and I just didn’t pay much attention as I only got my ReSound Omnias in mid-January. Also, I’m blaming iOS rather than the HA connectivity per see as a complete iPhone reboot is usually necessary and suffices to cure my connectivity problem when it occurs. And, AFAIK, neither the Smart 3D app nor the Omnia firmware has been updated since I started having this problem in just the last few weeks, but iOS has, from 16.3.0 to 16.3.1. Another update issue is I can no longer completely mute my external mics through the Smart 3D app on my Apple watch, whereas it was easy to turn them off and on again through the watch previous to the iOS 16.3.1 and WatchOS 9.3.1 updates.

What happens without me doing anything to hearing aid settings through the Smart 3D app is one or both of my HA’s will occasionally show up in the Smart 3D app as not being connected to my iPhone, even though they are still functioning perfectly. This can happen with a ~once-a-day frequency.
Force-killing and restarting the Smart 3D app usually doesn’t restore normal connectivity with the Smart 3D app, but rebooting my iPhone invariably fixes the connectivity problem.

Since I haven’t heard any real ballyhoo on this forum about other iPhone MFi HA users having a similar problem, perhaps my disconnection problem is restricted to my iPhone setup with the hardware and software running on my phone.

BTW, I discovered that there’s actually an official iPhone reboot method for iOS 16.x, which might be a little less cumbersome than turning your iPhone off, then turning it back on again (you don’t have to wait for the phone shutdown for the phone to be restarted). The Apple text heading seems to imply that turning the phone off, then on again is the default method for restarting an iPhone, though.

Force restart iPhone

If iPhone isn’t responding, and you can’t turn it off then on, try forcing it to restart.

1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
  3. Press and hold the side button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the side button.

An illustration of two iPhone models, one with a Home button and one without, with the screens facing up. The volume buttons for each model are on the left side of iPhone, and the side button is on the right.

Note: For force restart instructions for iPhone 7, iPhone 6s, or iPhone SE (1st generation)—models that don’t support iOS 16—see the iOS 15 version of this page.

Source: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

1 Like

I have the Oticon More1 aids and I am not having any connectivity issues with IOS 16.3.1

4 Likes

I have only had my More 1 aids for about 10 days. I just had my left aid quit streaming. I had to disable and re-enable streaming on it to get it back. This is similar to the issues with my older Rexton KS8 aids. I expected to be free if this issue. I do have the Oticon Companion app installed but not running.

I deleted the companion app after find there wasn’t a watch app for it. I am still using the ON app for now.

2 Likes

I thought you were one that was not running any app and had no issues.

Normally I wouldn’t but out on the cruise I am using it due to losing my remote control somewhere in transit. The ON app and my
Watch makes a reasonable remote.

3 Likes

I am also having similar issues with my Oticon More 1. From time to time the only way to switch from Ipad to Iphone is restarting my Iphone (the same goes the other way around). My iPhone is on iOS 16.3.1 as well. However, in Oticon’s case it is hard to say where the fault is… the past firmware updates of my Mores have been a complete mess.

I deleted the Oticon app at some point and I thought it helped for a few days. The problem continued, though, so I am using the app again.

I wonder if the Real has firmware that better supports the newer iOS versions. I ran into this issue years ago with my Rexton aids and was looking forward to finally not needing to deal with this.

From what little I have read and what my audiologist said is that there isn’t any mention of connectivity improvements. Now maybe the new processor has capacity to be updated later.

1 Like

I’ve noticed connectivity issues with iOS 16.2 and my Jabra Enhance Pro 10s, which are similar to the ReSound Omnia. But I’m thinking it’s a Bluetooth problem between my iPhone 12 and the HAs since I’ve noticed the app loses the connection when I walk out of a room and leave the phone behind. These Jabras are rechargeable, so I press the button to turn off and restart one or both aids as necessary, and it almost always reconnects with the app on the first try. I have not tried turning off and restarting the phone since it would be a more elaborate process. The connectivity loss is a pain, and I wish either Apple or ReSound/Jabra would remedy this. I haven’t yet tried iOS 16.3.1 since I’m afraid of all the new bugs it might introduce along with the fixes it promises.

Bluetooth is designed to work over an unobstructed 33 feet as I recall. Not much Apple or Jabra can do but comply with the standard. You can solve the problem by staying within 33 unobstructed feet of the phone while you are wearing the aids.

1 Like

With all these connectivity problem or OS or restarting the phone, I would suggest putting the phone in your shirt or trouser pocket. Just a habit until the HA/phone solve the connectivity problem.

I just discovered a connectivity issue due to the new iOS built in auto captions. My Oticons won’t connect to my streamer if my phone is “listening” to provide captions. Once I pause the captioning, the BT connection to my streamer is restored.

If that’s the entire issue, I’m wondering why my much older ReSound Calas stayed connected under the same circumstances, which include some adobe walls, so not unobstructed. Since the newer aids are rechargeable and HA space is at a premium, I’m wondering if ReSound sacrificed some Bluetooth receptivity power to keep the size manageable or enable other features. From what you say, it wouldn’t seem to be an issue with iOS.

Both the Omnias I trialed and the ones I bought stay connected through several interior sheet-rocked walls if I get up from watching TV and run to the bathroom, which is great since I can tell when a commercial break is ending and get back to the show (this is being connected to the TV Streamer 2). So, my connectivity issue is something other than just being near my iPhone or not. I usually carry my phone to at least have it in the same room I’m in to call 911 if needed after having a life-threatening syncope event on 12/13/21.

I’ve wondered if the disconnection has something to do with using the Smart 3D app on my Apple Watch to control my HA’s as for the last few days, I haven’t used the watch to do that and I haven’t had any disconnection problem showing in the 3D app on my phone (the watch app doesn’t interact directly with the Omnias, it just relays instructions to the 3D app on my iPhone).

1 Like

You are assuming your TV connector uses Bluetooth LE. It could be some other wireless communication much like happens between the two hearing aids.

I am assuming it’s a 2.4 GHz signal, and the same antenna is used as for BT LE. That’s all.

1 Like

Oticon TV Adapter used Oticon’s proprietary technology for communication to the aids.

1 Like

@jim_lewis I have currently had a connection issue.
I am using IOS 16.3.1 and Widex Moment 440’s

First noticed yesterday when I couldn’t hear a phone call, as the hearing aids were not connecting automatically to the phone. I had to turn off the phone and back and delete the pairing in the phone before I could reconnect.

Then the same this morning where the app told me my HA’s were not connected. I checked first on streaming music and that worked, but a phone call didn’t. Again had to turn off and on again.

Puzzled. Up to now the connection between the phone / app / HA’s has been perfect, since last purchasing July 2022.
Unable to remember when I installed the IOS 16.3.1 as to whether I had phone calls since then

I have had repeated iPhone connectivity issues with my Philips hearing aids purchased through Costco. This occurred prior to the latest iOS update and both pre and post the firmware update to the Philips hearing aids.

In addition to what you’ve experienced with one or both hearing aids indicating not connected to the control app on the iPhone, I repeatedly have streaming issues and issues with phone conversations where one hearing aid disconnects. With music streaming, often both hearing aids cut in and out intermittently. I’ve given up wearing my hearing aids on my exercise walks and have gone back to my AirPods due to this. It’s disappointing, but I’m done with trying to resolve it. Whether it’s and Apple issue or a Philips issue, bottom line, they don’t work well when paired to the iPhone.