Hearing aid dryer needed?

IMHO, Yes!! You can buy one from Amazon, less than $30. Desiccant can be renewed in ur microwave oven in 30 seconds.

1 Like

I also thought I did not have wax or sweat, however after about six months one hearing aid (KS7) stopped working because it was clogged. I bought the Perfect Dry Lux for $40 and have had no problems since then (2 1/2 years).

I have also been caught in the rain and was glad to have a device to dry the aids out.

I have friends who use a silica gel dryer, and they are satisfied.

That is a great product. I use to use it until I got rechargeable Hearing Aids… I now use med flow uv2. It allows changing of the hearing aids and drying of them at the same time. I was wondering if you ever tried the store and dry Global Ii? If so what where your feelings on it? Have a great day and thank you for you for sharing.

I picked up a cheap hearing aid dryer for $10 new. Not much about it online. It advertises UV and heat.

I am assuming UV and gentle heat are good for drying KS9s, but I can’t find any specific specs for a dryer anywhere.

Anyone know or have a link to what kind of drying is best for KS9 aids?

Phonak sells this dryer

And this one

Both provide gentle heat and uv.

Dryer I bought

As long as yours provides “gentle” heat, it should be fine.

"It features gentle heat to remove moisture from sensitive electronics. UV technology helps inhibit bacteria growth that could cause infection. "

It would be nice if they specified how hot it gets. Phonak’s one for it’s rechargeables specifies 40 degrees centigrade (104 Fahrenheit) KS9s aren’t rechargeable so should be less sensitive to heat, but in general, electronics and heat don’t go well together.

2 Likes

CostCo sells the Perfect Dry Lux, $40, and that is what I bought when I got my KS9s.

Info is here, includes info on the UV-C lamp: PerfectDry Lux Dehumidifier

I used a temperature probe, this dryer gets between 120 - 140 f.

I’ll admit I don’t know, but it sounds kind of hot. I’ve seen 120 degrees suggested as a max for electronics in general. I’m guessing Phonak has storage recommended temps somewhere. Hopefully somebody more knowledgable can comment.

Electronics can be designed to be reliable over a wide temperature range (we have a router at a remote field site that is specified to operate from -40 to +185 F) but most consumer stuff isn’t designed for a range anything like that. The real problem with low and high temperatures is usually the power source if it is a battery.

My Oticon OPN S 1 mini-RITE aids (312 zinc air battery) are specified to operate from +1 to +40 C (about 34 to 104 F). For transport and storage, the allowable range is specified as -25 to +60 C (-13 to 140 F). My guess that the lower high temperature limit in operation may imposed by self heating of the DSP and other electronics and poor heat rejection through the case. Most of us also wouldn’t want a hearing aid above 104 F against our ear or head :slight_smile:

According to Duracell, the optimum performance from a zinc air battery is obtained when operated in the range of 0 to 50 C (32 to 122 F). Energizer states -10 to +55 C. Energizer also states in their data sheet for zinc air: “Storing batteries overnight in devices designed for drying moisture from hearing aids will have a negligible affect on battery service life.”

For a rechargeable aid using lithium ion, probably the most onerous limit is the typical specified charge temperature of +5 to +45 C (113 F) if you are going to put aids in a portable charger in a drier. Some driers may very well warm the aids/batteries above that. Depending on the design and complexity of the hearing aid charge circuit, high temperatures may stop charging when the temperature is higher than a specified limit (we have such chargers for some portable equipment we use in the field). I do not know details of any rechargeable hearing aid and the restrictions (if any). And finding technical details about hearing aids is not always easy :frowning:

1 Like

Thankfully the KS9’s are not rechargeable.

Whatbdo you recommend for rechargeable HA’s? I was looking for Flow Med Dry Cap UV 2 but I cant find none in the EU to order. Where I can get them and is there any other dryer you would recommend? Thanks.

The UV 1 is in Amazon eBay has uv2 but it is on back order should be in in about two weeks according to the company that sells it. They are also a Germany based company. Check out there web page.

Dryer helps eliminate ear infections.

In nutshell, dryer are more or less a necessity, any good dryer? any experience with the followings?

https://www.connevans.co.uk/product/4322901/MDRYSTORE2/Global-II-Dry---Store---international-version

https://www.connevans.co.uk/product/8570761/3PCCDDRY/Phonak-D-Dry--hearing-aid-drying-box

Thx

@Baltazard

For me, the D Dry UV light turned the plastic of the D Dry yellow so I stopped using it as I didn’t want my Aids to turn yellow. I’m not sure if they could of turned yellow but didn’t want to risk it.

@Zebras Do you use any dryer at all?
Thx

@Baltazard

Yes I went back to my Dry & Store.

I bought the D Dry to stop having to fund the dry briks.

The Dry & Store hasn’t failed me in 25 years.

2 Likes

@Zebras How often do you change the dry briks?
Thx

I see, every 2 months, that is not cost effective :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like