Hearing aid dryer needed?

I understand how it is tricky to use this forum. If you don’t mind me asking what screen reading / brail system are you using? I am in the market for one. I tend to favor Jaws.

This is a little off task but Jaws is good I like it a lot. :grinning:

1 Like

Your welcome. Hope it helps like it did for me.

1 Like

The Dry-Cap UV-2 dryer for rechargeable hearing aids have a 2-hour cycle–2 min for UV-C, 116 min for dry, and 2 min for UV-C. I haven’t bought or tried this dryer but [hearingaiduser2020] pointed it out to me and it’s just what I wanted and need for my Starkey rechargeable custom hearing aids. Since the HA’s can charge at the same time, the drying cycle time doesn’t matter.

I just started a VA trial on my Starkey HA’s so I’ll wait a bit before buying the dryer. By the way, it’s dimensions are 4.7"L x 4.7"W x 4.7"H (or 120mm instead of inches). They also have a slightly smaller Dry-Cap-UV that drys for 30 mins but the charger might not fit into that one.

1 Like

Inside the ear is a dark moist environment. Get something.

He or she can speck better. Med flow makes different versions of the dryer. I will bet the larger size will be need to accommodate the cover being open. As you change in version the size changes as well as the drying time. If the charger door is not open the air can’t get in to dry the hearing aids. If you want the right size you have to measure the hight of the charger with the door open. Measure from the bottom to the top of the door at it highest point. That will check the height. It the only tricky part to finding the right one. Just remember one other thing the uv is tapered in a slant so you loss space I got caught on this when I first bought it. The uv 2 is straighter so it doesn’t have the same problem. Hope this helps. It is a great system but you have to careful to measure the charging station and match it to the right one. Just a little advice leave a little room for error too.

It depends on the version. It can be a little as 30 mins to an one hour and 30 to Two hours uv 2 the pro is a different thing it is continuous. But the cool part is you leave the charger in as it drys so you can charge as you dry. The only problem is making sure your charger fits in the dryer right you have to measure it open and at its highest point. I been using it and it does a great job just without the heat. That is important for rechargeable to avoid as it can damage the hearing aid. There is web pages for Flow med just scroll down and change it to fan dry and it can bring up the specs. Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

If VA is supplying the hearing aids, I am surprised that they don’t supply the charger/dryer.

1 Like

They are separate items. I am surprised too that they didn’t discuss that need too. That is why it is good to have a place to ask questions and share information.

Long press the button, twice. Blue light will start to flash.

1 Like

The charger/dryers are far to slow if you accidentally have an accident and you aids get wet. You need a dry box to dry them as quickly as possible.

I have that as well, and it came with a USB power supply.

Maybe an airtight container (pipe) that you could put your aids in that had a fitting you could hook a HVAC vacuum pump to would be quick enough to get that moisture out.
No temperature issue.
No UV for sanitation though.
Pretty simple.

Like a vacuum sealer?

1 Like

I agree you need to dry them right away. I Respectfully disagree based on my experience there the same time just no heat. 1/2 hour for the air and a 1/2 for the lux. The problem is rechargeable hearing aids are not suppose to use to high of heat to dry. Most available heat dryers are too hot. You have to use a system that lowers the pressure then lowers the heat temp to Safely use heat with rechargeable hearing aids. If you don’t you could damage the hearing aids. I did this with my rechargeable hearing aids and damage them badly. If you have a mistake or accidentally get them wet you need to use an air fan system right away. Forcing too hot of a temperature into the aid can and damage them. I made this mistake once not again. It makes for a hard day. There is a system that does use lower heat temperature safe to dry rechargeable aids out. It does this by reducing the pressure and thus the amount of heat needed to dry the aids safely. This system is available only to audiologists. If I get the wet by accident then I dry them using air fan system. It doesn’t take any longer to dry them out then with the heat due to the speed of the fan. I go to audiologists once a month and they dry them using the redux system. It pulls no more water out of the aids from the time I switched to the air system from the heat. Again I am only talking about rechargeable hearing aids not disposable battery models. Sorry if you feel different we will have to agree to respectfully disagree.

Revans2060 said it best there is no difference in dry time I will confirm it based on my experience. Using the system I use it takes the same time to dry as my old heat system. Sorry if you feel different. We will have to respectfully agree to disagree. I not risking destroying a pair of hearing aids by over heating them there too expensive to do that. With high speed fan drying works just as well and is safe. This was what was recommended to me and that is what I do. I have my hearing aids dried by the audiologists once a month and there is no difference in the amount of water pulled out. I been using hearing aids from the age of 7 and my last ones lasted 10 years in part due to following what was recommended. Hope to get the same out of these. This only applies to the rechargeable hearing aids I have and the drying system I use. I can’t speak to all hearing aids and other air dry systems. Hope you have a great day. :+1:

1 Like

I was researching a bit how dryers work and what causes evaporation.

Think about laundry on the rope and which days it will dry fastest.
Dry wind is the winner. But remember, it’s outside and there’s huge volume of air that can carry moisture.

Redux system uses vacuum not to vacuum water out but to reduce temperature evaporation point of the water by reducing the pressure, air is still the one doing the transfer job. Yes there’s still the air inside, since it’s heavy box, not a plastic bag. Also, vacuum means that they’re not letting outside air in. And they are heating it as well.

Since that’s expensive, for home users they just use heaters. Which now with rechargeables poses a problem.

Dessicants in a box just can’t do anything useful IMO since there’s no airflow at all.

Now the question is what dessicant with an airflow can do.

My claim is - not much. It is still the wind who does the job.

If you live in non humid climate, putting HA in a box with closed lid, that fan either circulate the air inside (even if it’s not air tight) so then dessicant should take in the moisture from the air, or they pull in the air from the outside, in that case, what’s the point of dessicant, just let the air out.

If you live in humid climate, since those boxes aren’t airtight, humidity from the air outside will probably enter more to the dessicant than moisture from your HA will go up in the humid air.

I think the best is fast wind, cold or body temperature warm, with plenty of room so air that can move around and actually bring that moisture out.

So, hairdryer on cold and blow towards HA. That would be my goto for shower like accidents. If that air cannot enter inside and take the water on a ride, nothing can.

I mean, just look how fast your hair dries, no dessicants anywhere, and each strand of hair is definitely flooded and not that it just ‘have a bit of moisture’.

For sweat and so, fan on the bottom of the box with open lid, pulling the air from the below, and doing it relatively fast should work. Since only thing that matters is airflow, and that is of the fresh not saturated air.

I think they do long cycles because speed is low so to get the enough air moving around.

I’m not happy with buyable solutions, at least from what I could read about how they’re supposed to work.

When you research air dehumidifier, the proper one not dessicant based, you’ll see completely different tech.

A dehumidifier works by drawing warm air currents into its coils via a fan. The warm air contracts as it’s fed through the refrigerated coils of the machine, and condensation is left inside the dehumidifier

That’s the way you really pull out moisture from the air that carries it.

Dessicants take days for pathetic amounts.
Dessicants for HAs, you don’t vacuum seal them after each use, so they slowly absorb everything around them anyway.

I don’t know, I just don’t see efficiency in those dryers made for HAs. Especially compared to regular but good hair dryer on cold.

I am on my second set of hearing aids in 12 years.
My first pair died on me every time I started to sweat. My audiologist gave me the Hal-Hen jar and I had much less trouble with them but, after 5 years they were going and I found a new audi who was much closer to me than my previous one so I switched and got the new aids. I am on year 6 with them and I put them in the jar every night. My audi has commented several times that they are in much better shape than most of her customers.
I think the air dryers are good if you get them really wet and you need them dried out quickly.

I fell in the river head first out of a boat several years ago. After drying the aids as best I could, one worked o.k. but the second didn’t revive until I was driving home in an air-conditioned vehicle. They are still working now, though they are my backups. They are the ones that lasted 11 years and are still going.

I trust that you refresh the desiccant beads periodically in a microwave oven.

It is more essential in higher humidity settings. The goal is to prolong the life of the aids.