Happy DIY user using Siemens Pure binax 7 bx and Connexx 8.3 with Hi-Pro device

Hi !
Just wanted to share with everyone how i purchased and programmed my hearing aid and saved $$$ thousands of dollars in the process…

I am a 51 year old male with moderate to severe hearing loss. I also suffer from pretty bad tinnitus in both ears. First thing i did was visit local audiologist to get a hearing test done. Naturally, they tried to sell me a hearing aid, but i kindly declined. They did NOT automatically give me a copy of the audiogram. Had to ask for it. make sure you obtain a copy. This is crucial in order to program your ha. Looked on eBay for weeks to get a good deal on a hearing aid. Did lot’s of research. Finally purchased a SIEMENS PURE binax 7bx. Make sure the ha you buy supports your audiogram. (open Connexx software and run in simulation mode. enter your audiogram and select the ha brand and type you are planning to purchase. Make sure ha covers your frequency.) Check out this Youtube for basic info : view

Second, i started digging around the internet for the Connexx software. Latest version as of today is 8.3 (Nov 2017). I learned you do not need to install any previous versions as i read on the internet. Download using this link : (PC) Connexx software. Once downloaded upgrade software.

Next familiarize yourself with the software. I put an mp4 movie in my dropbox (1 hour movie talking about Connexx software). Download here: Connexx video

Now i started purchasing cables and searched eBay for a hi-pro.
-i found an old serial (RS232) hi-pro on eBay for a very decent price ($120). This included the cables (HI-PRO CS44 Universal Programming Cables). Great deal!
-programming adapter size 312. purchased for ($20) at website - great service and quick delivery, and great price! (only needed 1 - comes in pair. might sell second cable back on eBay).
-RS232 to USB adapter. Ordered on Amazon.

Finally the day arrived where i had all components lined up. Using a Macbook Pro (Yosemite 10.10.5) running VMWare Fusion (v7.0) and Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, i plugged in the USB (make sure to “grab” the USB and assign to Windows and not Mac - in case you are on a PC no worries of course - and got…NOTHING ;(
After installing a basic Serial to USB adapter, assigning different com port (use device manager) and rebooting… STILL NOTHING :frowning:

i decided to download the hi-pro driver software from hi-pro drivers. Even though i have a serial setup (not usb), the software allows you to select the interface you use. As soon as i installed and restarted, the PC (tx/rx) light on the high-pro came to life!!! YES :slight_smile:

Once the hi=pro recognized the Connexx software i did an initial firmware update on the ha, followed by a first fit. I created a few programs (Universal/noisy/tinnitus) and set a 4 week acclimatization period. I will be tweaking the ha for the next couple of weeks but i am super happy. Hopefully my tinnitus will go away eventually.

Hope this post helped you to realize you DO NOT need to spend thousands of dollars on ha. With some research and luck finding a good deal on eBay (be patient!) you can hear again.
Adding up my purchases, i spend about $400. This would have cost me $2500 - $3000 if i would have purchased at my audiologist.

GOOD LUCK ! YOU CAN DO IT AS WELL !

5 Likes

INDEED WE CAN! Excellent post and success story.

So what do you do about ear molds and RIC? I cannot work with domes, as I am 110db loss.

Phil

Often closed domes are the better answer for people like yourself suffering for a more severe level of hearing loss. Custom molds are, for the most part, closed domes that have been fitted specifically for you allowing a more comfortable fit (albeit at a much higher cost).
I would order a few different types of closed domes to see which would work best for you. (Google “Connexx accessories”)
You can also order the amplifier /receiver strenght and replace the original amplifier (ric). example : website

Lloyds hearing aids will let you order custom molds at $44-$54 each. I’m guessing other hearing aid repair places would also let you order custom molds. Some local places might too.

First of all that is Good Work! You should be proud.

There’s a couple of problems with the software link you provided.

1. It’s not the current version. The current version is Siemens/Signia Connexx8.4.2/SiFit8.4.26 for newer/current. Though, for Connexx 8 the Updater feature can be used to update older versions.
  2. It’s the wrong database (HTFit/Hansafit/Hansaton) It should be the (SiFit/Siemens) database.

You don’t have to search the Internet for Connexx software. The links are available here in this forum.
Click this link;
How to find Fitting Software to Program Your Hearing Aids [DIY]

Also scroll down to the Connexx section of that link to read about the various databases.

Hi , likewise excellent post and success story.

Thank you - you have convinced me to do the same and hopefully get the same result.

Can you help me?

I have extreme hearing loss and intend also to purchase Signia /Siemens pure 13 BT 7 primax .

They are programmable by NoahLink according to Siemens, my question is - are they also programmable with hi pro device and and Connexx 8.3?

Appreciate any help you could suggest…

Thank you

Yes, with the cs44-cables and programming pills (size 13!) and others as written above by the thread-starter you are able to program your HA. You have to update Connexx into the version 8.4!

I’ve also programmed the Pure 13BT, but now I’m trying the new model Motion NX. I’m very impressed!

Product-portfolio-catalog_2017-03.pdf

Much appreciate your information Haens,

Good to confirm I can use alternative to the Noah link wireless.

I am new user of HA’s and stepping in deep based on this great forum, and attempting to program and tweak the Pure 13BT myself, as Iive a little remote down under.

I am using for personal use , so thinking Im only going to program one type of HA -(the pure 13 Bt) - May I seek comments on whether the, - can I call it the wired option as you have provided above -

might be easier for me to program than using the Noah Link Wireless?

• I’m sure there must be advantages/disavantages between using either one - cost aside- are advant/disadvantages easy to define? I dont have any audo backup where I am.

Many thanks

thank you pvc- most useful

thank you again pvc,

I will studying , it looks very complete information and then I can revert.

appreciate your help.

Hi, I got everything like you, same hearing aids , HiPro and cables. I tried today but could not manage to remove the rocker switch where cable goes in, could you give some hint? I almost break the rocker.
Thanks

Peter

Thank you for the detailed info!

I thought that the cables go into the battery door, not the rocker switch?

That’s correct, you have to put the pillow (size 13) of the programming cable into the battery door.

Product-portfolio-catalog_2017-03.pdf

On Page 116 in the above link, near the bottom of the second column titled “Pure 13 BT primax” it says Programming adapter cable size 13 or Noahlink Wireless. So if you going to program this with a wired programmer you need a size 13 Programming adapter also called a programming pill which has a pill (the size of a battery, thus you need size 13) on the end. You insert the pill into your battery compartment to make electrical conductive contact as shown below;

See DIY - How to Self Program the Signia Pure 13 BT Primax

New to this… Awesome post!!! I have purchased a hi-pro and cables and I am downloading Connexx eight now. I have primax pure px7s which were fitted by an audiologist but want to make further adjustments on my own. The video in the drop box is only 15 min and is more of an intro than detailed fitting instructions. I found another first fit youtube but thinking that since I am already fitted I could just make changes once connected to the HAs. Advise on my endeavor or links for more fitting info would be very much appreciated.

I would encourage exploring Audiology online further. Don’t limit your search to just the current version of Connexx. I’m not sure what’s available for Signia, but I know for Rexton (which is similar), there is an excellent two part series on using Connexx 7 which is a good way to get a basic understanding. Once you’ve got a basic understanding, you can explore the software. When you run across stuff you don’t understand, try googling it. There is no quick and easy guide to self programming that I’m aware. Even exploring other manufacturer’s programs on fitting hearing aids can be helpful. Oticon offers an excellent series on dealing with atypical hearing losses. Good luck! and keep us posted.