Does anyone use the Phonak RemoteControl?

Has anyone bothered to get the Phonak remote for volume and program changes? Could be a little more convenient than having to get the phone out and use the app.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been thinking about getting one myself. Still not sure if itā€™s worth it.

It could be, but I couldnā€™t find if it also relies on BT LE connection to for switching. In that case it would be equally slow as the app I guess.

However, faster than app is using rocker button on the aid themself.
You might need to ask your fitter to enable options if thatā€™s not already turned on (and also, might depend on the aid you have, Iā€™m writing from audeo marvel/paradise perspective, so RIC aid).

Rocker button can be volume up/down on short click, and program change/mute on long click.

So if you donā€™t have rocker button or is too fiddly, then maybe remote might have sense, because yeah, app is crazy slow.

1 Like

Yes, the$99 from Costco bd $300 from Phonak.
It is great for when my wife comes into TV room to listen to her quickly and back to FOX when she leaves.

Have Audi pair to ā€œautomaticā€ setting.

1 Like

The older Remote Controls for Phonakā€™s donā€™t rely on Bluetooth LE so I would assume the remote controls work the same way as like the Phonak PilotOne II.

@wayne59au: I canā€™t speak to Phonak products, but my Oticon remote control works well, and is really handy for:

1. Making discreet volume and program changes while keeping hand in pants pocket;
  2. Making changes when cycling, etc, when iPhone is stowed in rack pack or back pack and ConnectClip is not in use;
  3. Easily making volume/program changes when iPhone/iPad touch screen is in use in an app that I donā€™t want to exit;
  4. Taking aids off mute when theyā€™re sitting in charger while I shower or shave, inducing high-pitched feedback and lower-pitched howls from wife with normal hearing. [Just JOKING! Not yelling, either, folks. The old codger is just funninā€™!]

All joking aside: my audiologist wasnā€™t keen on issuing the remote to me. He said he gets s lot of returns, but mine has been working flawlessly for going on 6 months. I realize this isnā€™t Phonak-specific, but I thought it might be relevant/useful.

1 Like

I had a remote for my Widex Dreamsā€“kept it on my keyringā€“my keyring was typically in my pocket. Iā€™m a caregiver and sometimes, if I had to kneel down to tie someoneā€™s shoes the volume would get cranked up to the max.

@postagedew: I ran into a similar issue. Now I usually sling the remote around my neck on a lanyard and drop the unit into my shirt pocket. [That solution is still working pretty well for me, except when one of our cats is nearby!]

I knew I had a reason for thinking BT LE, now Iā€™ve checked.

Manual for remote control, page 19

Radio information of your wireless device
Antenna type - Monopole antenna
Operation frequency - 2.4 GHz ā€“ 2.48 GHz
Modulation - GFSK
Radiated power - < 2.8mW

BluetoothĀ®
Range ~1m
Bluetooth 4.2
Profiles supported BLE (GATT)

So, since phone app is using BT LE and takes ages to connect, I was afraid itā€™s the same shit with remote control based on this specs.
Ok, I did some testing on my phone and actually HAs connect really fast to BT LE but app is lagging insanely and cannot connect and whatnot.
So maybe remote device is faster because itā€™s not android app behind it.

I couldnā€™t test it because my fitter cannot return it if I donā€™t like it, I can only buy it, and it wasnā€™t cheap so I decided Iā€™ll use my buttons on HAs and that works fine. Slow, but I doubt remote gadget would be faster since HAs need to sing their beeps when they do program change anyway, they wonā€™t change before song is over (4 beeps are really a song at that point).

One of the disadvantages to the new Marvel / Paradise Remotes are, Phonak have got rid of the ā€˜favouriteā€™ button.

The favourite button allows you to access a most used program. This has to be programmed in. I have 4 programs and the favourite button is programmed for my 4th program so itā€™s easier to get too.

1 Like

Not worth the money to buy that remote because of no favorite button. I will stick to my myphonak app. I wished Phonak fix the app soonest.

1 Like

I bought one and have it hanging from the lamp next to my recliner. It seems that whenever I get my arm between the TV Connector and my Paradise aids, the aids drop back into AutoSense. A quick tap on the remoteā€™s program button fixes the issue.:grinning:

1 Like

How fast remote reacts, in comparison to the app?
Judging by your description, really fast?
And how about speed on remote vs clicking the buttons on the aids?

The button on the remote works instantlyā€¦ and is much easier for me to use than the toggle on my aid! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this with us!
When using button on aid to toggle, I cannot toggle into next program until those chimes donā€™t stop, is remote faster? Like, if you click fast 4 times, will it switch instantly to that 4th program, or will just do one, aids will beep once, then you have to click on the remote again, then aids beep twice, then you click on the remote, then aids beep 3 times, then click on the remote, then aids beep one long one short and theyā€™re finally in program 4?

The remote makes quick changes of volume, programs and accessories such as Roger Select , partner mic and t.v. Link. I like making those changes from my pocket instead of my hearing aid.

For me, it is simple ā€¦ if the aid drops into AutoSense while using the TV Connector, a single press on the remoteā€™s program button gets me back into TV Streaming mode. Actually, a recent update to the MyPhonak iPhone app seems to have fixed the problem:

Iā€™ll take back what I said about the app update fixing the problem. The problem still exists ā€¦ I think the drop from the TV streaming program happens whenever my arm gets between the Connector and the primary aid. So, I still use the remote to get my TV audio back!

Well hereā€™s a question I have about the myphonak app. Iā€™m streaming music so I go to the app to make adjustments. Of course itā€™s takes a few seconds to connect and I set up the way I want the streaming to sound. Then I switch back to the streaming app which happens to be Amazon. Now I go back to myphonak app and it says connecting connecting. So weā€™re my settings a waste of time once I leave the myphonak app. I mean why does it have to reconnect everytime I return to it. And does the remote prevent that from happening?

Well I agree especially considering the cost but Iā€™m wondering why the app has to reconnect everytime I go back to it

1 Like