DIY - How to get started with self-programming

NoahLink Wireless would be my best guess for the Phillips aids, but in DIY programming, it’s best to leave nothing to chance. Perhaps somebody who’s actually programmed the Phillips aids can join in, but I’d tried to find the hearing aid that is most similar to your Phillips hearing aid in the software and look what hardware they say is needed.

So, now that I have bought my Bernafon Nano RITE Hearing aids, downloaded the Bernafon Oasis software, it would appear that I now need to also purchase a Hi-Pro together with a Programming cable #2. That little lot is going to set me back about £300!! if I’m lucky Would that be about right or have I completely misunderstood?

So is the alternative being to find an audiologist willing to program them for me?
Any recommendations / referrals please?

You £300 price is within the ballpark. Though I don’t know prices across the pond.

Programming cable #2?? I don’t think so. Those may be the short cables required for an old programming device named NOAHlink (not to be confused with Noahlink Wireless). You would want standard CS44 cables. I have not researched your model hearing aid to see what cables/strips are required for connection. When you say Nano RITE, perhaps you mean Bernafon Juna Nano RITE?

Audi’s like it when you walk in the door with £6000 and no hearing aids. They will be so nice to you. When you walk in the door with your own hearing aids, it’s like walking into a restaurant with your own steak and asking what’s the cost to cook it. Perhaps they will just charge you an extra modest fee?? It’s hard to say??

There are mail-in online programming services. Though, depending on your hearing loss, you may not be pleased with the results.

If your hearing aid software is correct for your aids the software should tell you what programming device and cables you need to program them. They might also be programmed wirelessly, check the software.

This is why it’s important to do your research before buying anything. Once you understand what is needed you can figure costs and where to buy what’s needed.
Start with the hearing aids of choice software. Then educate yourself.

Well the good thing is, if you do go ahead and get a HiPro and cables you’ll never need to worry about wasting time on who’s going to provide programming, the Bernafon use exactly the same cables as Oticon (and sonic for that matter) cable part numbers
HI-PRO #2 (CS44)
Left: [384-20-033-00]
Right: [384-20-032-00]
So a good choice there. £300 is very high, you don’t need to pay that much, find a minipro or USB HiPro model on eBay or aliexpress for less.
If your Bernafon Nano RITE model is wireless you can program them wirelessly with the FittingLink 3.0 .

1 Like

Be careful when ordering #2 cables (any #2 cables). Here’s why.

If you have the luxury of ordering from Bernafon or even the luxury or ordering by specific part number then Yes, you can order (Bernafon HI-PRO #2, Left: 384-20-033-00, Right: 384-20-032-00). But most ppl will not be ordering from Bernafon.

On EBay you seldom see hearing aid programming cables listed by part number, or by the hearing aid manufacturer’s pet name. If you order #2 cables from EBay you may end up with the wrong cable that will not work with the Hi Pro! There are some short/50cm NOAHlink #2 cables floating around because the NOAHlink programming device (not to be confused with Noahlink Wireless) is becoming obsolete. The short/50cm NOAHlink #2 cables will not work with the Hi Pro hearing aid programming device.

So look for CS44 cables when ordering from sites such as EBay because it’s unlikely you will find Bernafon HI-PRO #2, or Left: 384-20-033-00, or Right: 384-20-032-00.

Are you sure, are they just thinner and a bit shorter, same CS44 pin connections.

Here’s a listing on eBay

No, they are not the same CS44 pin connections! Zoom in on the small connector at the end of the cable and count the number of pins.

• 3 pins for No#2
  • 4 pins for CS44

Here’s a zoomed-in image of the same cable;

Ok I see that now, good detective work!

This information is incorrect for the Noahlink #2 cable on eBay. The picture in the listing is a CS43, not a CS44 cable.

There are two noahlink cables #1 is a 5 pin and #2 is a 4 pin same as HiPro Style 4. Here is the link to the Sonion hearing programmer cable PDF:

The pinouts and connectors are the same for both cables.

The problem is with the eBay listing, not the Bernafon information.

1 Like

Hi, I have some Bernafon Caristra 3 Nano BTE hearing aids, and have now inherited another pair of them from my deceased mother.
I would like to reprogram my mothers old pair to match mine.
Could someone perhaps give me a link to the Bernafon Oasis software?
I have a Noahlink Wireless but suspect that this won’t work with these aids as they aren’t bluetooth capable, so does anyone know what hardware I need?

The above user disappeared for a while. Other helpful users picked up the pieces. Now he wants to slam and insult those that had continued to try to help.
@rasmus_braun : Please remove the above continuing insults towards those that had picked up the torch to carry on in his absence before this user came back.

z10user2 doesn’t have the full story of my temporary hiatus. I guess he thinks that he does.

Truth be told, this thread was not the only instance of plagiarism of my DIY topics. Sorry for using the “P” word. But as you can plainly see in the edits of the OP/Original post of this topic, my PVC name/authorship was removed, and the content copied verbatim, including all the links.

In the past, (z10user2 himself) did the same thing. When I would intentionally disappear one of my threads for maintenance reasons (or to create a new thread while presenting the subject matter in a different form) my original content would popup under a new name of z10user2. But to give him credit, he did not remove my name/authorship, (and after a short while) I guess he realized that reposting my old content was not sustainable and his copied threads were deleted.

Perhaps this classification of my post as an insult would make more sense without the PVC name/authorship removal in the OP that stands out like a sore thumb. It’s easy to see. Just go all the way to the top of this topic and click the Pencil icon. If this is not authorship removal then what is it?

Lest the above user forgets, he does not own any rights to his content. Once posted, it belongs to the host. He has zero ownership of it all. Zero rights to assert. He disappeared. The content was re-posted because he had tried to intentionally bury it under dozens of edits.

1 Like

The notes in the original post say Costco sold hearing aids are often locked, and then the ones locked are shown in RED below, but I see no red ones. I’m worried that some of the regular brands like Phonak if sold by Costco will be locked. If this is the case, how can one easily (without trying to program them) tell if they are locked?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob, don’t worry as PVC says nothing from Costco is locked, all the latest from Costco are perfectly fine to do DIY programming.

1 Like

quote from PVC’s previously post which he stunt-deleted:

“Look at the revisions to the OP/Original post atop this topic to see where my PVC name/authorship was removed”

For the record: since PVC keeps harping on this “authorship removal” thing, even going so far as to make an absurd accusation of plagiarism, I’ll break my silence on the history and state the facts.

PVC did some good work on the forum, but some time ago deleted many posts, taking his ball and running off home as it were. I copied and re-posted some of the removed material and gave PVC credit. Then he started messaging me with unsolicited advice and commentary. I ignored that and all his other weirdness. Nevertheless the behavior became increasingly childish, including turning his avatar upside down, changing it to 86, and even using my dust-cloud avatar as his own for a day. Apparently his antics caused the moderators to take some action to stop the drama. One of PVC’s claims was that the re-posted material constituted some sort of liability for him, so I removed his name. But it remains clearly described as “copy-paste of archive material.” Eventually PVC returned with his “school” and I was happy to see him doing good work again.

2 Likes

And yet again this user fails to grasp the concept that he does not own his content here. The host does. He has no standing to claim ownership.
But, like with the other thread, this one will get locked and he wins. And he knows it.
If he could demonstrate some decency and respect for those that stayed around helping people rather than slagging all over their efforts upon their return from fiddling with clocks then maybe there wouldn’t have been any push back on him.

Thread necros happen all the time in every forum everywhere. You can bet a forum talking about fiddling with old clocks does this too. Sometimes wording and search terms work for some people. So they find old threads and the thread may still be useful to them.
When the thread gets locked, that user has no way to interact with what they found. That’s a detriment to them.

1 Like

Dude, you can have all of this old obsolete gibberish for yourself. I don’t want to own this! Please take it. Put it under your pillow at night. Are we clear that I don’t want to own/possess this obsolete thread?

But don’t expect me to ignore it when a newbie comes along and thinks that this old obsolete gibberish is legitimate. You should not post another persons content, period! It’s silly. This is what happens.

Yes they do have a way to interact with what they found;
For DIY Help 24/7; Click any PVC Avatar; and then click PVC’s Featured Topic; which will help you find download links to (Free Fitting Software) and other DIY School Help.