Forum disturbances

Yeah, he is not up to good if he basically takes DIY software offline, if he really cared about his little project and the people behinds it, he wouldve kept it online…

5 Likes

Agreed @e1405, thank you for posting :smile: I cannot see what @pvc has done to warrant a suspension on this thread… Well perhaps I can, although this is purely speculation on my part, his DIY school might not go down well with some of the manufacturers, and when you put your head above the parapet, you are there to be shot at, perhaps like an itch you cannot scratch, a constant irritation? As always, YMMV…. Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter in the scheme of things, everything is available, there isn’t anything in the school that’s not freely available from most forum members right here and now, in reality the little “DIY project” is everyone on this forum.

10 Likes

Still takes someone to do the work to put it all together, and having done scientific reports, I appreciate just how much effort it does involve, and in keeping it all up to date.
I am very grateful to pvc for his work, it has saved me a lot of time and effort to figure out these things by myself. As to taking his DIY software offline, maybe he will feel better in a couple of days and reconsider. We are all only human.

4 Likes

The DIY school may well be tied to his avatar and hence not available if he isn’t. We are way off topic here so I started a thread in the DIY section. Cheers

4 Likes

Same thing he did years ago. He likes to be prickly which leads to discipline. Then he takes his ball and runs home. My previous post on the subject. DIY - How to get started with self-programming - #29 by Dusty

I’d say he’s been better lately. But apparently his drama has caused the moderators to have to spend a lot of time on him yet again. The forums will do just fine without him for a couple weeks, and forever if need be.

4 Likes

Several times I have posted something and deleted it 5 min later, because I relisted it was redundant, off topic, or personal !
And it would probably just encourage a negative or angry response from the previous poster.

As I did earlier in this thread :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

In the future I will wait 5 min. and think about my post, before pressing the Reply button, so I don’t have to go back and edit or delete it.

7 Likes

Thank you for that. If all of us were privy to the amount of “know it allness” that they possess we wouldn’t need a hearing aid forum.

1 Like

pvc’s profile shows the reason for his suspension:

“This user is suspended until Apr 21, 2023 4:00 pm.
Reason: Consumed disproportionate amounts of staff time”

Annoyed the mod…and then argued.

Jordan

3 Likes

Interesting thread. I am very new to this forum (January 2023?) and have found it incredibly helpful. Went from a complete HA cynic to a fairly happy user of some ebay Phonaks…all thanks to the plethora of excellent and helpful comments.

On to this threads subject…I just reread about a hundred of @prodigyplace comments…and I am confused…the majority seemed helpful, reasonable and polite. I generally found the comments to be of value and did not see any significant negatives…

Again, I am new, and many folks have been using this site for years…so my experience is extremely limited, but I did want to at least post my perspective.

Moderating a forum is indeed a trying task. This forum is one of the best I have ever used. Most of the forums I use are DIY in one form or another, and I generally find those to be the best as most of the users are pretty focused…and trying to be helpful.

Regards,
Ethan Brand

1 Like

Oh I would never knock the amount of work PVC has put into the school, it’s a hell of a lot work without a doubt, my point was simply that it’s freely available for anybody who seeks this information here on the forum, from anyone who wants to offer it, just reading through this thread, you can see that some were hesitant in doing so, plus newbies were being put off in some instances.

4 Likes

PVC:This user is suspended until Apr 21, 2023 4:00 pm.
Reason: Consumed disproportionate amounts of staff time

====

Ok, now totally confused. The DIY school is about 90% of how I came to understand and successfully use my first real HAs. The DIY school represents probably the best DIY tutorial I have ever seen…and I have looked at hundreds in my 66 years …

I would be very cautious here…

Regards,

Ethan Brand

PVC left after some drama few years back, and tried to burn down the DIY section on his way out the door. After a hiatus he came back, improving both his content and his demeanor. The latter not entirely though and he managed to earn some discipline. Yet he still didn’t learn his lesson and continued such things as accusing others of being paid shills and plagiarists. Never any proof, never any apologies. If I was the moderator he’d have been banned permanently a long time ago. Instead they cut him a lot of slack over the years. But it appears he’s wasted enough of their time recently to earn a time-out. Is his stuff worth the aggravation the moderators have had to put up with? IMO, nope.

8 Likes

Hi Dusty
Thanks for the insight.

I will note that it was the DIY library that first attracted me to this site…otherwise I would never have started using it.

For my own use, the DIY content is the basic reason why I use this site…without it…most of the other content is not useful to me personally.

Regards,

Ethan Brand

I’m sure you’d be the exception, most if not all of us use the forum for just about everything to do with HAs, there’s so much to learn in this area, new model releases, hear it first from right here, how and why things work, scholarly articles, news on what’s going on in the hearing world, not to mention the professional guys that contribute on a regular basis, pretty good insight on what their up to and how they work, nice.

4 Likes

Sure I understand, I was just thinking you might be leaving yourself short not knowing some of the other stuff going on, as you can imagine there’s so much more to programming one HAs then software/hardware = first fit
But anyways all the best.

Cheers

2 Likes

Hi… actually I really appreciate and use all the excellent content you mentioned. I am simply pointing out that it was the DIY library that got me here in the first place.

Regards

Ethan

2 Likes

Just wanted to say I’ve been a member for a few years myself and usually check the forums a few times a week. I’ve had experiences with all 3 and frankly it was the the biggest reason I cut back posting as much as I used to. Those 3 in particular have been rude and abrasive numerous times in various posts I’ve seen including some of my own…

I’ve got a good sense of humour and usually most unrelated sarcastic comments are ignored but on the wrong day or when something isn’t working with a hearing aid and you want guidance sarcasm, petty comments or unhelpful innuendos about what you do, think or feel about the issue is unhelpful when they want to put a user down on makes me think constantly do I even want to post this here?

Don’t get me wrong I have seen some helpful posts from 2 out of the 3 but more often than not I’ve sat thinking why do they even continue to be allowed to behave in that manner. If I was a total newbie and saw those 3 interacting in that way I’d be put right off it doesn’t jive with the openess of the forum to me. This is a place for guidance, learning on a issue that affects many worldwide.

I hope the suspension gives them all time to reflect on their forum behavior and parhaps allow others to post more freely without hesitation. Thank you abram

6 Likes

Ok got it, all good, yeah it’s kinda addictive, you go to one post and the next thing you know your on to something else and so on.

One thing you guys don’t see (that admins do) is all the deleted posts, flagged posts, etc attached to a user’s account. While PVC has been extremely helpful in our forum (primarily for DIYers), and while I respect his dedication to this mission, he has been an extremely polarizing person in the community, and as evidenced by his moderation history, has consumed a ridiculous amount of admin time … We admins have had many run ins with him over the years and it’s beyond frustrating that he can’t just show us the same respect we show him. We created a safe place for him in a dedicated DIY area where he’s the man and yet, he can’t help himself from stirring things up and occasionally being a jerk. If I had a way to restrict him to the DIY area, I would… But, I just don’t know how many chances this guy really gets… DIY is a topic only a subset of our community cares about, and there is nothing stopping pvc from finding a new home for his DIY school. He is welcome to post a link in our DIY area to his own DIY website but so long as he has general user access to this forum, I don’t think he can resist the temptation to engage negatively with our users.

11 Likes