Word Recognition Score (WRS)

My recent tonal test took about 4 minutes and the WRS test took about one minute at my ENT’s office audioloigist. Total exam.

The two previous WRS tests, there, were not recorded input – but done live. My previous two tests showed WRS with problems and were done live by the same person.-- a woman. The third and most recent test showed no problems at all with WRS (100%) but also done live by a different female audiologist. (My hearing loss is in the upper frequencies)…

My personal experience outside that office shows without a doubt I am having problems understanding certain words. Can two different audiologists with different voice frequencies generate different word recognition scores? Should they have used a recorded test input for comparison purposes?.

0 Likes

Recordings are consistent.
Your tests were not.

3 Likes

My initial audiogram and testing used recorded sounds and generated tones. It took probably 20 minutes or more.

1 Like

I had a test on Tuesday, tones through headphones then bone conduction and that took a good 20 minutes and wasn’t particularly drawn out. I can’t see word recognition scores being consistent with different voices even if they were both female, were they done at the same office? Doesn’t seem very reproducible to me but would also be dependant on your audiogram

0 Likes

WRS is variable even when taped, and different audiologists are often testing for different things when doing it and present it at different levels. Live-voice WRS is only going to give a very gross measure, and becomes more and more meaningless as it is done by different speakers. But the ENT probably isn’t looking for how well you are able to hear speech in quiet. She’s looking for whether you have 100% in one ear and 0% in the other which could indicate some sort of retrocochlear lesion.

0 Likes

Was she looking at you when the test was done?

People don’t typically realize how much they read lips, and with high frequency loss, the sound you miss are formed by the teeth, tongue, and lips, and easy to recognize. When I do live voice discrim, I always cover my mouth so that lip reading is not possible.

1 Like

@eric.cobb I can remember going for WRS and the grad student turned her back to me. :flushed: With my profound high frequency loss I badly failed that particular WRS. So badly I asked her to do it again but to get a piece of paper and cover her mouth… My scores still weren’t the best but they were a lot better than 2% both ears.

0 Likes