"Wind Noise"

I commute to work on a bicycle with More 1 miniRITE R aids (85 dB receivers with vented molds). I wear a typical vented bicycle helmet but with a brim as it is sunny here in southern Arizona. I have issues with wind noise with a headwind although an additional program with changes suggested by Oticon tech support reduced it a bit. Removing the brim from the helmet does not help.

1 Like

I must say I have never experienced wind noise with my hearing aids, and we have had very strong gusts in Wales. I get enough wind going through it from my husband though lol.

2 Likes

There a different actual wind noise and “wind hitting the microphone port” AKA wind turbulence.

I find that Wind Noise Reduction feature is useless because it can be interfered and reduced the sound I wanted to hear (music may perceive as wind noise if parameter is similar to wind noise etc.).

And I don’t actually bother by wind causing rattle sound. Its actually sound great to me as I never heard them without hearing aids.

However, wind hitting the microphone port is annoying as hell! no HA feature can reduce this directly.

1 Like

On a bicycle forum, they were writing about Cat-Ears ~Airstreamz wind noise reducers. The look like foam tubes that go on helmet straps.

I self programmed Phonak aids for a number of years. They did very well with wind noise.

For someone that rides bikes a separate noise program for riding might be nice.

I didn’t realize how good those aids were with noise until getting bilateral CI. These processors do ok but not as well as my previous hearing aids.

2 Likes

I don’t hear any wind noise with my Phonak’s so I agree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would suggest Muting the HAs when riding.
You’ll still hear traffic & other noise, but the mics won’t amplify the wind.
My problem was always the helmet.
Never wore my aids while biking.

Had to retire from riding after having Pulmonary Embolism, and being prescribed a lifetime of anticoagulants.

I am just butting in without having read the whole thread. I’d say whatever hearing aid brand you use, read the manual or ask your HCP. Some of the available programs for your HA model may be better than others for dealing with wind noise. For ReSound aids, the Outdoor program is best for wind noise. I agree with @janofh that M&RIE receivers do a good job of suppressing wind noise with external mics on. "Wind Noise" - #38 by janofh

Obviously, if you’re in a situation where the wind noise is just annoying, and you don’t need to hear anything, turning your external mics off really helps suppress wind noise. At least for me, though, when it’s really windy (25 to 40 mph), even that doesn’t completely suppress wind noise. Extreme wind makes my ear lobes vibrate, and the noise is significant enough to interfere with speech recognition while listening to podcasts on very windy days.

Used to be that forum members recommended Ear Gear, essentially a form-fitting porous spandex foam bootie for each HA (I see @Zebras and @MDB have mentioned them earlier in the thread). It’s supposed to help reduce wind turbulence around external mics and help prevent sweat and dirt from getting into the mic openings. I tried them to protect my HA’s from sweat at the gym but found I sweated enough to saturate the Ear Gear booties and was worried they’d essentially just collect the sweat to drip into my mics. I’ve never really tried them out against ear-flapping wind, but I should think they’d help muffle such sound that even turning off one’s external mics doesn’t suppress.

1 Like

Thanks all for the replies!

I am using BTE RIC Rexton M-core R-Li-40. My program has the Connexx wind reduction program on. (but the wind turbulance hitting the ports was un-bearable…)

I tried ear gear, however it added too much girth to the HA and I could hear rubbing as I chewed (non starter).

My solution was to use the little foam donuts that come with new receivers as slip covers and cover the mics (see the attached picture (one mic covered the other not). I also bought longer receivers and bent the wire so the mics were further behind my ear instead of near the top. The combination has reduced my wind noise better then 80% while riding my bike.

9 Likes

It’s Phonak’s attempt at attenuating wind noise. My audiologist tells me that he has it turned all the way up on my Lumity 90 Rs, but it doesn’t seem to help at all. I had Oticon More 1s previously and they were the only aids I’ve had that worked well with wind noise.

1 Like