"Wind Noise"

I need help when I am under fan I can’t hear well. Fan’s wind is masking speech from distanc ehtough I haven’t had more gain in that region and wind noise attenuation any idea?

I’ve noticed very minimal wind noise with CIC/IICs. Pretty much nil. I suspect it is rather obviously because the mic is further inside the ear.

@sumodo With the gale force winds we have been having you are very lucky!

have turned on max. Ahve fusion 2 evoke ric

In some phonak aids, they have wind block on technologies below 90. The 90 tech level has the Speech in Wind program which allows you to hear speech outdoors with the wind blowing and you hear little or no wind noise.

This Speech in Wind program / feature isn’t available in the new Phonaks.

It is available on the Phonak Naida Q, V and B 90 SP and UP aids

1 Like

I find wind noise very annoying with my ReSound Multi-Mic, an external device worn by my talk-mate that is normally a huge help when walking/talking. When a strong wind is blowing (we often walk near the open water) the wind makes it virtually impossible to hear what he is saying. Perhaps a light fabric covering over the Mic would help–I hadn’t thought to try that. Nor have I tried the “wind noise” adjustments offered within the system, but I doubt they could deal effectively with what I’m talking about. I just think it is one of the things-- like a noisy-party/restaurant–that the technology is not able yet to successfully counter.

I had a similar problem trying to explain this my Audi during initial fitting. I told him that I was hearing “wind noise” and he assumed that I mean that, with the HA’s, I could hear the wind, like in the trees, etc.
I had to be very specific and say, no, that I was getting that noise like someone blowing on a live microphone. Very unnatural.

He adjusted my HA’s (Phonak M-50R’) and it got a little bit better, but I still hear that unnatural wind interference outside if it is really windy and my ears are oriented in such a way to pick that up.

I might give the headband idea a try.

Ear Gear are a good solution for wind noise.

I have a couple of thin Beanie type hats, usually carry one around. If i pull it over my hearing aids, it cuts down wind noise without affecting my ability to hear.

1 Like

yes, wind noise is a thing… and yes it is akin to blowing over a microphone.

people who use microphones have a foam cover that goes over the mic to minimize wind noise along with people breathing into the mic.

most modern HAs will have some tech / software to minimize that, but it is unavoidable sometimes.

making sure the the HA is tucked up/behind your ear will help a lot. a head scarf will help, (if the ha is tuned for anti feedback)

I have an old jeep, no top. (and modified exhaust). It wasnt a problem last year, before finding out I need hearing aids… Now it is a problem… I can’t hear anything other then wind and muffler…

I had my audiologist create a special program that turns the rear facing microphones down. I think the program started off as SPEECH IN 360, WITH directional listening pointed forward.

that works perfect.

It’s still loud. I still can’t hear my radio like I used to. but I think it’s just a matter of getting my audiologist to turn my hearing aids up to 15, (when I put my HAs into FULL/MAX volume.

I don’t understand why ear pods that can be bought at best buy and used on your laptop or phone can be turned up loud, (and get a warning about loud noises, that I just click OK), but yet, hearing aids I mean Audiologist wont give me the same volume levels as my phone

Im going to get my hearing aids turned up eventually, until then I will just continue to turn the volume up to max

1 Like

The new hearing aids should be able to detect feedback noise and automatically adjust the gain.

Rexton M-core R Li-40 (self programmed).

I have wind noise in new HAs. I made sure the programs have the Wind Noise Detection and Squelch turned on and they do, however I get significant wind noise when riding my bike. I suspect the top tips of my HAs may be up too high and are catching wind. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Ear Gear generally helps. Ask at Costco (assuming that’s where you got your Rextons). They sometimes will give them out for free. If not, they can be ordered online.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

Can any of the ‘wind noise’ programs deal with riding a bicycle? Between the turbulence from the helmet & its straps and the effective 30 MPH wind (15 bike & 15 head wind), it seems like a challenge.

Possibly. I have the jabra(resound one) aids with the mrie. With the mic in the ear I find that I have no wind noise, even in very high winds. I don’t bike, but 40mph wind on the beach should be similar :wink:

However, that’s just one aid. The Philips 9030 were not great (the only other aid I tried).

Good luck

2 Likes

My personal take is no. There are some on the forum that claim great results. My take is that IF the wind hits the edge of the plastic near the microphone, nothing is going to be able to eliminate that noise. (similar to making noise by blowing over opening of a bottle) Better opening design may help. Covering the hearing aids with ear gear or a head band definitely helps.

I have the Oticon More1 aids I ride my Vespa Scooter using a half shell helmet with my aids powered on and using my default program, I don’t notice any issues with wind noise or issues with the engine exhaust noise. I couldn’t say the same with the OPNS1 aids that I previously used.