Why do most audiologist refuse to reprogram online purchases?

Yes. But that is the SAME situation for folks with perfect hearing, I’m thinking! I actually think I can achieve a level of “perfection” for my relative situation. I may not hear like someone without aids, but my hearing is very nuanced - it’s just from a different level/perspective.

I totally agree with your sentiment on “CONNECTING” to the individuals or settings in which we are communicating. That sets the context and helps our brain fill in the blanks as needed. We pick up cues from facial expressions and inflection, and like a bloodhound, those cues are what we train our ears to hear, like a hound picks up scent to track. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Your source for this misinformation?

2 Likes

Yeah, calls coming into our office are recorded.

I get the other issue too–we’ve had some reception change-over which means a lot of training. When patients tell me that they didn’t feel heard on the phone it’s useful for me, I take steps to address those issues with staff member training. We did indeed have someone on staff ages ago who would yell at the patients when she got flustered, but she didn’t last long.

The ones that are friendly to clinicians and rude to staff are a very small subset (happily), and generally repeat offenders.

1 Like

Bob Dylan added: “I let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours”. :wink:

1 Like

Things may change if this goes into effect.

Thank you @BeachBum, I wasn’t aware of that…. I am wasn’t a massive fan of Robert Zimmerman, but I did love some of his stuff…. Cheers Kev :wink:

@Neville: I have tried, on several occasions, to address my issues with the audiologist, but he always sides with the receptionist. Calls are not recorded - it’s a small outfit - so it’s my word against hers.

I’m sorry about that.

@Neville: Well, it’s going to cost him a customer, but I don’t think he cares. He told me when he called me to give me hell for telling the receptionist (kindly and politely) that I expected a callback that day - 4 days after having left a message - “I expect to have only one interaction with a patient at an an appointment, not 3 or 4.” (… this referring to the questions I often have about what he’s done to my aids, since he doesn’t explain that very well during the appointment, and I often don’t know what is going on until after I have worn them for a few days. Then, I ask a question like “How come DSL v5, just reinstalled, doesn’t sound like it did back in February? Is something different this time?”).

So, he’s losing what he considers a “high maintenance” client, and won’t care. I have informed Veterans Affairs Canada that I’m shopping for a new audiologist, and they reassured me that is entirely my prerogative.

2 Likes

I think it may have to with them not wanting to deal with a problem child. Why take on a client that won’t make you money and already has a history of being unsatisfied? There really isn’t any positive for the audi.

1 Like

@mr.smithster: To whom are you responding with your post?

Just posting in general to the OP

1 Like

@mr.smithster: Sorry - I just was not connecting any dots.

No prob, I did kinda jump in the middle

1 Like

My new audiologist expects and wants 3-4 contacts per appointment. Why? Because that’s usually the number of iterations it takes to get it right, because it’s difficult to pin down in words exactly what isn’t working, so it boils down to trial and error.

We’ll see what it’s like when the rubber meets the road.

1 Like

I just saw this. My guy was far superior in experience and programming (for me) than the local Dr. Cliff audi recommended guy, who had the gall to tell me that REM wasn’t necessary. Boy, did I complain to Dr. Cliff. Anyway, I took a chance, purchased the More 1s at 2400, which I know is more than the Costco K10s at 1400, but I felt for my purposes the More 1s would be better as I am a classical musician. I was right. I am grateful for him. If anyone wants his info PM me.

Regarding programming. I don’t really do it, but I have the equipment to swap out Oticon App programs. Hey, it’s a start.

4 Likes

Where I live for about 150 mile radius one audiology group has 95 percent market share which doesn’t give much wiggle room for people of limited financial means.

I doubt with being basically only audiologists around that they are living in a hovel with babies starving to death. Philanthropy is a good thing now and then in whatever way possible.

My philanthropy is helping as I can with yard work and trimming bushes so not overgrown with weeds.

Do what I can and I wish the same for apparently thriving businesses.

I know this is an old post but I wanted to comment on this.

If we go back in time, the audiologists had a monopoly on the whole process and they charged the price they wanted, and we paid this price because we had no choice. I believe that I am not the only one to think that these prices are exaggerated. That’s why it’s becoming popular to buy and program ourselves. My audiologist charged me 600$ cad to program the first pair that I bought on the internet, for my second pair I invested this money in a noalink and I changed computers. At that time the Geni 2 was available directly from Oticon, why now we can’t find it, the audiologists have complained, he is losing money and that’s why he doesn’t want to program these aids, they want to discourage this practice, but they too at some point will have to adapt to this new reality as many other businesses have done

5 Likes

Yeah that’s it. Blame the audiologist. And that’s exactly why they hesitate to do this

You buy something on ebay or on line that maybe is not what you really need and then get mad a professionals that don’t want to mess with it??? Some will try programming them for you but I can’t blame the ones who don’t.

3 Likes