Why do most audiologist refuse to reprogram online purchases?

If I’m willing to pay the fee, why do many audiologist refuse to reprogram my hearing aids that I purchase online, for half the cost?

Is purchasing the Noahlink software a smart decision?

2 Likes

I have never understood that either, but there are so many places that will lock the hearing aid settings and the aids can only be changed by the audiologist or location that you got the aids. If you feel comfortable doing your own adjustments then why not, but I will not do so myself I am too much of someone that wouldn’t stop the fiddling with my aids and would end up screwing them up. Anyway I have a wonderful audiologist and I get my ads as a disabiled veteran’s benefit. I have watched my audiologist do my fittings and even made suggestions for possible changes while reading the computer screen with the software running for my aids.

3 Likes

Well you should of asked them at the time, just to see which could come up with the most inane reply! They do it to be spiteful, as in you didn’t buy from me, so I’m not going to help you.
It’s really a childish attitude to take, but just remember, there’s plenty that are willing to help out as well, but for those that won’t, they just shoot themselves in the foot!
Now your question of whether to get a Noahlink wireless programming device and DIY is a smart move, it’s a no brainer, definitely have a go, it’s not hard to do and there’s plenty of us from right here on hearingtracker to help you along.
What brand/model do you have?

6 Likes

It’s not out of spite. It’s because they don’t have an appropriate pricing model worked out. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

I’m only guessing, but my guess is that they are so tied into their business model of making money off of selling hearing aids and offering their time for free that they can’t imagine people being willing to pay what they’d need to charge.

8 Likes

Ha! Simultaneous same posts.

5 Likes

Maybe they’re afraid they’ll be blamed if something goes wrong. They don’t know anything about the aids you purchased

3 Likes

I just switched from Oticon Opn 1 to Oticon More R1

I found an audiologist 1hr away that will program for $250.

It’s like one thing after another!

1 Like

My original audiologist used to program mine all the time, for $200. Now she says their policy Changed and they will no longer. It’s so stupid to me. I’m willing to pay.

2 Likes

My usual audiologist has previously programmed my hearing aids, bought online. Now all of a sudden she says they’re policy changed.

Super annoyed, but luckily I found one that will. Unfortunately, I have to drive an hour!

I quoted two audiologists, one from TruHearing and another from local hospital clinic.
REM fee 250 dollars per ear.
REM fee 300 dollars, did not say each or both ears including one upcoming visit and reprogramming.

2 Likes

A policy change makes me think something happened. Or maybe their insurer called the shot. Who knows

1 Like

I disagree. I believe it IS out of spite

2 Likes

For the simple reason many (most) audiologists are car dealership sales force comparable personnel. They only have a varying weak sense of responsibility to those who have spent money with them. Hearing aid shopping is tantamount to new car shopping.

7 Likes

Check your private messages, the Oticon models are easy enough to DIY.

2 Likes

Right! Especially since my audiologist previous did the programming for me (with sets bought online) and now she will not.
And don’t get me started on why in the heck do the hearing aids cost sooooo much??!

Sadly, I totally agree😭

Well he’s the one who incurred all the expenses and put all the time and effort into it, while you’re trying to cut corners and expect him to help you. So I guess he can do whatever he wants. He doesn’t owe you anything. And you’ve already decided he’s just trying to screw you when in reality, you’re trying to screw him But then again your reasoning could be right. That’s certainly his prerogative

4 Likes

Exactly! Ever try to take your own parts to have your car serviced. Once they program your aids from an unknown source all of the sudden they become that bad guy. Most don’t need the problems.

1 Like

How the hell am I trying to screw anyone, if I’m willing to pay for his (actually a her) services?

I found an audiologist that will do it, and I’m paying. :v:t3:

7 Likes