Why do most audiologist refuse to reprogram online purchases?

I’ve taken my Toyota that I’ve bought from one dealership to another dealership and had it serviced for a fee. That is a common practice

Your comparison is irrelevant

3 Likes

He could be spending that time selling a new pair of aids to a customer. That’s where he makes his money. Not programing somebody’s second hand aids. Bottom line is its his business. He runs it however he wants. My audiologist has bent over backwards to help me out. Coming in at off hours etc. If he doesn’t want to program aids who’s history he knows nothing about that’s his choice. He’s not screwing you. He’s protecting himself. That’s the beauty of self employment. He calls the shots. Don’t take it personally. I don’t want to get into a confrontation. But I don’t think he’s screwing you

9 Likes

*mine are brand new, not second hand. My opinion is, if they’re selling Oticons, they should service them regardless (for a fee of course).

We can agree to disagree.

2 Likes

“ Is purchasing the Noahlink software a smart decision?”

No. It is useless for you. Noah link is only to provide the audiologist a suite to integrate the different brand into one suite. So for your individual programming it is useless.

You will need the brand specific software and a Noahlink (hardware) or HiPro with appropriate cables to program yourself.

No that’s not right, it’s the Noah software not Noahlink that the clinic’s use, the OP was referring to Noahlink wireless programming device.

4 Likes

What if the aids are ‘bricked’ during programming?

Who’s responsible for resolving the issue? Your contract/warranty exists with the online supplier.

What happens if they are bricked during a programming session on month 25?

As a rule we happily program hearing aids bought elsewhere for a fee, but I can see why some companies don’t. I guess it’s up to them how they want to run their own business.

2 Likes

And it’s not called screwing a person over

@hass5744: As you know, hass, TheSpud®️ is a big fan of blunt. As much as people may howl and gut you like a trout for your answer, I believe you are on the money.

Sadly, the HA industry seems to have devolved over the past 50 years: what should be a symbiotic relationship (I know, I know …) has become a zero sum “Who gonna screw Whom?” game in which good faith and teamwork are no longer.

True, but sad. :disappointed:

They make their money by investing about 4 hours to make $4,000, the original sale. Why should they make $200 for an hour of programming.

2 Likes

So you agree it’s all about profit. And the programming takes around 15mins max for $250…I think that’s a great profit.

5 Likes

More like 20-30min at most to program.

But I’d like to dispell the notion that the audiology clinics offer any type of warranty on HAs, they don’t, as in Nothing! it’s the manufacturer that offers this.
Another is the notion that you are tied to any one clinic just because you brought “through them” if you buy from one clinic in one state (say NH) and then move to another state (say florida) 6 months later (or even to another country) so to think that your somehow tied to that clinic you brought through is simply not true, the warranty is with the manufacturer, so any clinic can provide programming and service if they really wanted to, if they choose not to then it can be looked at as “unreasonable”

4 Likes

I went to a different Audi back in 2011 and was charged £20 which is roughly $30 for 2 hours and a bit worth of programming. I guess I got lucky.?

I now self program, way easier then relying on other people.

4 Likes

Yes very lucky! I’m definitely looking into self programming.

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with self programming and I don’t have a problem that buy aids and then looks for someone to program them. Aids are ridiculously expensive and a lot of people have inadequate insurance. I have a problem when someone doesn’t get what they want then severely criticizes the individual. Even after he found someone else. But whatever. Remember the op said why do most audiologist… I have no idea if that’s the case. Through my years I’ve known less than half a dozen audiologist.

1 Like

Who “severely” criticized??? :joy:

The comment was screwed me over. Is that better. When you talk about a person’s profession and you say he screwed me over that sounds like severe criticism. But this isn’t a thread on sematics. I’ve stated my case. Now I’ll move on. Nothing wrong with a healthy debate

@sonya_g: I don’t think you’re considering the fact that the minute your aids are written up on one of their service tickets, they incur a liability that is several times over the cost of the devices. To underwrite that liability, they have to charge high fees, and even then, they’re not fully indemnified. The online sellers have no such liability to worry about. Whatever profit they made on the sale is free and clear.

So, IMO, you’re trying to hang a big dingleberry off your local “Aftermarket Audi®️”.

1 Like

I think there are loads of A.uD’s out there whom would help, granted a few are, more money oriented than other’s…… That being said, some won’t charge me a bean, for reprogramming aids that they didn’t sell me, I guess if you have a good rapport with them, nothing is too much trouble…. I recall one lady A.uD, she was very kind, and caring, she was aware I was into self programming, it was maybe 9 or 10 years ago, iCube 1 was on the go, we were getting Target 1. sometimes via torrent sites, you couldn’t get a legitimate copy anywhere, and the torrent sites were risky…. Anyway, I was in her office and I saw the Target 2.0 disk (brand spanking new) sitting on her desktop, I asked her if I could copy it, she just said take that one, but with the proviso, I never got it from her :upside_down_face: I could have kissed her…. That disk was encrypted, you couldn’t copy it to another ROM/DVD, it just wouldn’t RIP to a blank DVD!!! Eventually, I cracked it, I worked out, I could copy it to my PC, then copy that to a flash drive, then ship it all over the world via this site, albeit the old site, for the cost of the postage & flash drive, I sent it everywhere :grin: Cheers Kev :wink:

7 Likes

@kevels55: Crafty old Scotsman
:skull_and_crossbones:(Pirate):skull_and_crossbones: that you are, Kev!!!

1 Like

Back then Jim, Phonak Target Software was the dogs dangley bits, but it was zealously guarded by Phonak, they went to extreme’s to protect it…. I am proud to say I sent out a few dozen copies worldwide…. :rofl: :upside_down_face: :joy:

5 Likes